PDA

View Full Version : What if Microsoft went open-source?

inxygnuu
April 16th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I was wondering the other night, and even though it most-likely will never happen, what if Microsoft became open-source?

answers can include anything on topic-from business to inner workings.

Any opinions appreciated,
3v4n

stmiller
April 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Some of the Windows NT source was leaked out awhile back. To much amusement, it was very disorderly and had tons of coding errors.

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/02/12/2114228.shtml?tid=109&tid=187

ugriffin
April 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Fat chance of microsoft going open source. I can't even imagine it.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 08:10 PM
They really pioneered the proprietary model. I honestly think they derive ideas from open source code though, although there is no proof.

Mere speculation of course. I think they will not be forced to adopt such a model, however open source will quickly grow.

Tibuda
April 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
There are some MS source code released under their MS Public License, like the ASP.NET MVC.

Methuselah
April 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Yeah, supporting software used to come from the computer hardware maker, much like apple and macs, cell phones and other consumer devices or and how the netbook market stared out.
Microsoft really inserted itself as the one to provide the operating system that runs on different OEM provided hardware.
They were really helped by IBM opening the PC platform and allowing them to retain the OS rights.

Windows as free software is very difficult to imagine.
They probably license proprietary technologies for use in the OS and do not have full control over all the source anyway.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I do not understand how they wormed their way into over 90% of desktops... Well I understand how actually but I still don't like it. Then again, using Linux makes you more unique I suppose.

RazVayne
April 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM
If Microsoft went open-source someone would "close" it and throw it away.
On a more serious note,Microsoft going open-source would be bad for,well,Microsoft.(duh!)I have absolutely no "programming" skills but I dont see what good could be taken out from their code,maybe just fixing it.

Methuselah
April 16th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I do not understand how they wormed their way into over 90% of desktops... Well I understand how actually but I still don't like it. Then again, using Linux makes you more unique I suppose.

Yeah my concern with it is similar to the problem I'd have if the whole web used a proprietary format instead of HTML and people had to reverse engineer alternative web browsers of questionable legality.
I guess that's the best way to explain it without writing an essay.
But as you suggested, many of us can get their work done on Linux without obstacles now so the impact is not as deeply felt as before.

4th guy
April 16th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Some of the Windows NT source was leaked out awhile back. To much amusement, it was very disorderly and had tons of coding errors.

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/02/12/2114228.shtml?tid=109&tid=187
Do you happen to know if that was used in WINE?

Methuselah
April 16th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Do you happen to know if that was used in WINE?

Wine shouldn't contain any Microsoft source.
I don't think you're allowed to work on Wine if you've seen any.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Wine shouldn't contain any Microsoft source.
I don't think you're allowed to work on Wine if you've seen any.

Talk about paranoid. Poor Microsoft coders.

4th guy
April 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM
That should cover their asses in court all-right.

Depressed Man
April 16th, 2009, 09:25 PM
It'd take a while to sort through all the Microsoft source code.

hatten
April 16th, 2009, 10:25 PM
i would dance, and save a copy before they changed their mind.

looplu
April 16th, 2009, 11:42 PM
ermmm 100 thousand plus malwear, Trojans and bots last year !!

and your question is what if Microsoft went "open source" lol

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Pigs would crowd the airways.

gnomeuser
April 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM
They already did with several projects, and people instead of cheering them on for walkin down the right path started attack them, those who cheered them on and started looking for hidden agendas.

I see no reason the same shouldn't happen if Microsoft tomorrow announced that they were licensing everything under an accepted OSI license. Sad by true.

aktiwers
April 17th, 2009, 01:49 AM
http://i29.tinypic.com/10gidzr.jpg

NightwishFan
April 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM
That about sums it up. ;)

its more like::

uhh what do I put here
>>> 1+5=6?
*invoke BSOD*