PDA

View Full Version : What do you feature do you miss for Ubuntu/Linux?

SilverFrost
April 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I was just thinking of features in Ubuntu and Linux operatinsystem that doesnt exist yet, but would like to have.

For me i would like to see a soundcard equalizer for the soundcard driver.
You know like the equalizers in Exaile and VLC but for the soundcard instead
so it works to change for example Rock/Pop/Soft Rock and all the... what shall we call it? Sound effects ;)

Do you have any feature that you would like to see in Ubuntu?
What yall think?

CharmyBee
April 16th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Similarily, easy positional audio configuration and testing for 4/5.1/7.1 setups as a GUI

Hyper Tails
April 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I miss the support for my tablets eraser and touch ring and that stuff

bruce89
April 16th, 2009, 07:22 PM
The whole point in FOSS is you can add new features.

iiiears
April 16th, 2009, 07:50 PM
If you can code open source isn't limited in any way.

Noveau drivers with 3D to rival ATI or nVidia.
An open source bios.
Ubuntu earning more money than RedHat, Sun, and Mozilla, While continuing to make Ubuntu synonymous with GNU freedom.

bashveank
April 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Video editing, photo management, a Webkit based browser, color profiling, true-to-print font rendering.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
True enough.

There is not really anything I miss. At first the lack of games was a bit boring, however, I found some Linux game I would rather play than Windows ones. Wesnoth, and Urban Terror, and especially Frozen Bubble.

bruce89
April 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Video editing, photo management, a Webkit based browser, color profiling, true-to-print font rendering.

F-Spot, Epiphany/Chromium.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Video editing I agree, however, there are many Webkit based browsers, such as Epiphany. F-spot and the new Digikam are pretty professional as well. Just a suggestion. ;)

bashveank
April 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
F-Spot, Epiphany/Chromium.

Video editing I agree, however, there are many Webkit based browsers, such as Epiphany. F-spot and the new Digikam are pretty professional as well. Just a suggestion. ;)

I found Epiphany to be quite buggy, and ui a bit janky. And neither F-Spot or Digikam are even close to Aperture or Lightroom.

Thanks for the suggestion, I do appreciate the intent. But I've tried all of the options, and they're not up to scratch.

befana
April 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I want to change the first week day on calendar (without using CLI) – I am European, but use Ubuntu default language (English USA), and can not find how to set my calendar to show Monday as a first week day.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Perhaps so. I assumed as much, as you spoke with confidence. My advice to you is to perhaps contribute to those projects. Hopefully we can improve in the future.

SomeGuyDude
April 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM
If you can code open source isn't limited in any way.

That's sorta like saying if you're a carpenter then any house is potentially a mansion.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 08:21 PM
With enough patience it can be. :popcorn:

Tibuda
April 16th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I found Epiphany to be quite buggy, and ui a bit janky. And neither F-Spot or Digikam are even close to Aperture or Lightroom.
There's also Midori. I don't use it, so I can't tell if it is stable.

Epiphany WebKit is really unstable, I'm yet using Epiphany Gecko, but I have to ask you something else: what do you mean with a "ui a bit janky"? I don't like the default Epiphany toolbar too (looks like MSIE6), but you can easily customize it to look the same as Firefox/Chrome. Besides the default toolbar, I don't see anything different from other Gnome applications.

oldos2er
April 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM
OS/2's Workplace Shell.

oomingmak
April 18th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Properly implemented single-click.

6 years and counting ....

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=121113

mamamia88
April 18th, 2009, 04:55 AM
the only thing i really miss from vista is that search bar. way more accurate than anything i've found in ubuntu so far

sideaway
April 18th, 2009, 05:37 AM
the windows key>*type application*>use application thing is great. I wish I could set that up. is there a way to change the windows key to launch alt+f2? except alt+f2 is an applicaiton search...

The carpenter interpretation is correct except, the mansion can be duplicated easily for anyone to use and improvements can be built by one, used by many - without many geographical issues.

James_Lochhead
April 18th, 2009, 05:51 AM
The Adobe products and games. That is all.

Copernicus1234
April 18th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Full DirectX support.

Would blow Windows off the face of the Earth.

Tibuda
April 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM
The Adobe products and games. That is all.

Never heard of Adobe games.

handy
April 18th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I'm personally extremely very happy with Linux.

The major thing, imho, that would be the most incredibly huge leap forward for the Linux OS, is if a group of dev's actually created the ability for the Joe average user to easily modify themes via a GUI.

This GUI would have to have the ability to handle both GTK, QT & any other complication thrown at it.

I know that I'm not asking for an easy solution, though I also know that it will eventually happen... :D

Eisenwinter
April 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I don't use Ubuntu, so I don't miss any feature in it, but I do miss an automatic recurring discussion thread mover, for this forum.

qazwsx
April 18th, 2009, 02:04 PM
In Ubuntu I miss more recent version of MPlayer because latest stable release is just too old and not recommended.

So I need to compile it or use unoffical repo (not likely).
That is the most important feature I miss in Ubuntu :D

Pasdar
April 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I do appreciate the intent. But I've tried all of the options, and they're not up to scratch.

How about LightZone? Many on Mac use that too and they also have a client for linux: http://www.lightcrafts.com/support/try/

NightwishFan
April 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Hmm.. Direct X is bad I am thinking, if more people made games in OpenGL, there would be no excuse to not port in the future, but then again Direct X support would make Wine easier for old games.

gnomeuser
April 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I miss having full MSN Messenger support via telepathy. Voice, Video, Winks and custom emoticons. Why, because MSN is probably the most widely used chat system around and I personally need good dependable webcam support for it to talk to and see my fiancée.

Aside that I have been using Linux as my only OS for over a decade, my list of little places we need to improve grows constantly. Luckily we are also knocking off problems with every day so hopefully before I die the list will reach zero.

CharmyBee
April 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM
.exe icons

Tibuda
April 18th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I miss having full MSN Messenger support via telepathy. Voice, Video, Winks and custom emoticons. Why, because MSN is probably the most widely used chat system around and I personally need good dependable webcam support for it to talk to and see my fiancée.
Ok for voice, video and custom emoticons, but Winks?

CharmyBee
April 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM
but Winks?

do you like big .swf hands knocking on messenger windows?

gnomeuser
April 19th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Ok for voice, video and custom emoticons, but Winks?

I need them, my fiancée seems to enjoy them. I think the same is true for a considerable amount of people. Naturally it should be implemented as a plugin of some sor with packagekit support so you'd only get the wink plugin installed if someone actually sent one to you (no reason to not improve on the situation).