PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Last Xubuntu update turned Xfce4 to Gnome!

acmeinc
April 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
So last night I noticed that updates were available for my Xubuntu 9.04 OS. I clicked to download and install the updates. The updater asked me to restart. So upon restart, I was loaded the Xubuntu Splash screen, but insead the Gnome Window Manager loaded rather than Xfce4. What gives? Any one else have this problem.

acmeinc
April 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Here is the error message:

http://pwnspeak.com/img/error_message.png

acmeinc
April 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM
::bump::

Has anyone had this problem with the most recent updates from April 15th?

After a few restarts, I decided to click the delete button in the screenshot above. Upon restarting, this still did not work.

Then, I <alt><ctrl><bspc> to get to the login window, and selected xfce4, then logged it. I logged into xfce4 successfully, however, my settings were totally out of whack.

Is there a plan to fix this? Was it a bunk update?

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM
9.04 isn't a final release yet so we can assume why this happened.

some of the applications you selected for the update may have required gnome components, you can find out what they are and try to reverse what happened or even remove gnome desktop' if you remove gnome desktop you will at least know what components gnome desktop requires and have an option to proceed or cancel, if you proceed you need to find out what these components are for and how they affect xfce.