PDA

View Full Version : Compare costs of Operating Systems

tbrminsanity
April 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Is there a website out there that compares the actual cost of several basic systems? What I mean is it takes a standard hardware configuration (probably a Mac computer as Mac doesn't work well on other computers) and takes the cost if you buy the Mac version, the Windows version, or the FLOSS version (running any Open Source OS). All I can bring up are websites that complain about how expensive Macs are, or how backstabby Windows is, or how great Linux is and how the author doesn't know why everyone hasn't switched over yet. I just want to know about the dollar and cents.

SuperSonic4
April 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
The actual cost is more than just the capital cost of hardware + OS. It includes necessary software and support as well as downtime due to maintenance

You could either work out the basic hardware needed for each OS to run (for example play the same video file) or use the same hardware with just the OS costs involved although the hardware cost would cancel in this case.

The first option is probably fairer because it'll be more expensive to get hardware that runs vista with all the bells and whistles than it does with ubuntu.

billgoldberg
April 16th, 2009, 03:52 PM
If you build a new machine, Linux will be cheapest.

Get the cheapest hardware you can find, Linux will run well on it and it doesn't costs you a dime (install it from usb stick or something and you don't even need to pay for a cd).

Windows will costs you a lot more (don't know the prices).

If you are looking for cheap, you don't want apple.

It's widely available hardware, sold with more profit because of the shiny case.

I think OSX costs around the same as Vista.

--

About the website, zdnet.com talks a lot about those kind of things. Dig around on their website.

tbrminsanity
April 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I've done a quick check on three similar laptops and here are the prices I got:
Macbook 2.0GHz 13" ($1,299.00 CAN)
Dell Inspiron 13 ($1,099.00 CAN)
System 76 Gazelle ultra ($944.00 CAN)

Now the Macbook has a better graphics card and RAM then both the Dell and the Sys76 but has a smaller HD (160GB versus 320GB (Dell) and 250GB (Sys76)). Only the Sys 76 comes with any needed software.

tbrminsanity
May 1st, 2009, 10:55 PM
So I've taken the systems above and added a default package of essential software (Office suite, Anti-virus(if needed), Firewall, Anti-malware (if needed), and multimedia package) and added it to the cost of the systems. This got me the "Apple Tax" (a measure of how much extra you pay for a base system as compared to an equivalent Windows system) and a "True Tax" (a measure of how much extra you pay for a system after you buy all the essential software). I make some assumption about the essential software like the person would want to buy the "official" version of the essential software (disregarding any cheaper competitors on the same system) and that if no "official" version exists then the number one bought version of the essential software for the system is the "official" version. I got the following:

System "Apple Tax" True "Tax"
Apple $200 $455
Microsoft $0 $880
Linux -$155 $0

Namtabmai
May 1st, 2009, 10:57 PM
You can find hardware at almost any price. The real question is what do you know at the moment and what is your time worth to you?

Kareeser
May 2nd, 2009, 03:12 AM
The problem isn't that "Windows is expensive" (although that is a symptom), the real problem lies that many people we mention Linux to simply don't want an OS that's completely free of charge.

People like to assign monetary values to items, and this attitude is more prevalent among societies which derive "status" through the accumulation of wealth.

Therefore, for these people, not only is a "free" (as in free beer) operating system worthless, but they derive no status from them, and likewise perceive Linux as an OS that deserves no respect.

After reading that, you can see why companies like System76 can survive. Charging for a free OS isn't prohibited under the LGPL (although it kinda stinks). System76 also sells "service and support", though, along with their hardware, so in that sense, they're great.

gymophett
May 2nd, 2009, 03:23 AM
I've done a quick check on three similar laptops and here are the prices I got:
Macbook 2.0GHz 13" ($1,299.00 CAN)
Dell Inspiron 13 ($1,099.00 CAN)
System 76 Gazelle ultra ($944.00 CAN)

Now the Macbook has a better graphics card and RAM then both the Dell and the Sys76 but has a smaller HD (160GB versus 320GB (Dell) and 250GB (Sys76)). Only the Sys 76 comes with any needed software.

Those are some expensive laptops.
I got a 3GB Ram and 320GB HD for 500 bucks!

mamamia88
May 2nd, 2009, 03:25 AM
If you build a new machine, Linux will be cheapest.

Get the cheapest hardware you can find, Linux will run well on it and it doesn't costs you a dime (install it from usb stick or something and you don't even need to pay for a cd).

Windows will costs you a lot more (don't know the prices).

If you are looking for cheap, you don't want apple.

It's widely available hardware, sold with more profit because of the shiny case.

I think OSX costs around the same as Vista.

--

About the website, zdnet.com talks a lot about those kind of things. Dig around on their website.

not nescessarily i can buy a prebuilt from dell for around $350 install ubuntu on it and be perfectly happy. try getting all the parts you need to build a pc for that price

Kareeser
May 2nd, 2009, 03:47 AM
mamamia's got a point. Dell as a high-volume sales company can afford to have computers that cheap.

There, they have any computer enthusiast beat :)

HydroTech
May 2nd, 2009, 04:11 AM
prices are close to this for a fresh copy:
Windows XP(if you can find it) = $99
Vista home premium = $240
home basic = $195
ultimate = $320
business = $300

MAC OS X v10.5 Leopard = $130
OS X v10.5 Leopard Family Pack = $200

Linux
ubuntu = Free! (as are most other flavors)
but one thing to remember about free linux flavors is that it is usually more involved then windows, or in other words, you will always need to keep learning about new things to troubleshoot it yourself.(the price of free) but as you know, there's us here at this site who would love to help you out on most problems you have. :)