PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] hung up ubuntu:is that a graphics problem ?

get2shashank
April 16th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I installed ubuntu 7.10 on my machine. It installed all the way fine. When i was prompted to reboot the system (after removing the disc from the system) i did so which booted the new install.

I then type in my username and password and then it is. It accepts my details and then it just sits there on the light orange blank screen. It proceeds to nowhere even after waiting for long periods of time [neither can i see the hard drive read LED on. the system seems to be doing no working on my login attempt]. I just cannot login to my GUI desktop [although i can login at the terminals==>Ctrl+Alt+F2 to F6].

What do i do.I think it is due to some graphics issue.
**One thing...I have a higher screen resolution at the login screen than what i set at the ubuntu desktop during live disk session.
**Also the screen refresh frequency seems to be lower than 85Hz which is recommended for my CRT monitor.
**the recommended primary mode for my CRT monitor is 1024x768 (85Hz). This is what i set during the live disk session before initiating the install. i should get that thereafter, but i dont.
**When i booted from the CD for the first time, then before the GUI of ubuntu took up the screen, i was prompted with messgaes like...
[I]load boot time graphics [y/n] and a few more like this. [i answered with Y everytime]
My buddy tells me these things are not experienced in his machine. So is some thing wrong here.

I have an integrated graphics on my motherboard. Its Intel 845GL (64 MB).

wsonar
April 17th, 2009, 04:01 PM
I saw a thread just earlier asking about 845GL let me see if I can find it

aikiwolfie
April 17th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I'd down load and install the latest version of Ubuntu. Some integrated Intel graphics cards can cause a few problems. So the newest version of most likely to work.

Dgurion
April 21st, 2009, 05:40 AM
try pressing alt+f2 at the orange screen and typing in "gnome-panel" then run.. I dunno.. Worth a shot.

surfed
April 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM
I installed ubuntu 7.10 on my machine. It installed all the way fine. When i was prompted to reboot the system (after removing the disc from the system) i did so which booted the new install.

I then type in my username and password and then it is. It accepts my details and then it just sits there on the light orange blank screen. It proceeds to nowhere even after waiting for long periods of time [neither can i see the hard drive read LED on. the system seems to be doing no working on my login attempt]. I just cannot login to my GUI desktop [although i can login at the terminals==>Ctrl+Alt+F2 to F6].

What do i do.I think it is due to some graphics issue.
**One thing...I have a higher screen resolution at the login screen than what i set at the ubuntu desktop during live disk session.
**Also the screen refresh frequency seems to be lower than 85Hz which is recommended for my CRT monitor.
**the recommended primary mode for my CRT monitor is 1024x768 (85Hz). This is what i set during the live disk session before initiating the install. i should get that thereafter, but i dont.
**When i booted from the CD for the first time, then before the GUI of ubuntu took up the screen, i was prompted with messgaes like...
[I]load boot time graphics [y/n] and a few more like this. [i answered with Y everytime]
My buddy tells me these things are not experienced in his machine. So is some thing wrong here.

I have an integrated graphics on my motherboard. Its Intel 845GL (64 MB).

7.10 ? 9.04 is out in 2 days...

get2shashank
April 21st, 2009, 01:42 PM
8.10 and 8.04 are prone to all these problems on the system already.
7.1ran a few times so i had no choice...

Dgurion
April 21st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Did you try what I suggested earlier? No luck?