PDA

View Full Version : who uses links web browser

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 10:58 AM
and how did you get used to it ?

.Maleficus.
April 16th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I don't use it all the time but I use it pretty frequently. I got used to it by just using it a lot- I used it last night to read the Gentoo Handbook while installing Gentoo on my server, I immediatly install it on a fresh Arch install so I can download packages before Yaourt is on their. My suggestion is to just keep using it and power through the learning curve. It's like Vi; weird to get used to but easy once you know it. Also, a really good thing to do is simply press Escape and check out what's in the menus and read the shortcuts for each item.

Oh, and I use eLinks. It's got more features than Links (if you only want text) but cant render pictures like Links 2 can.

elCabron
April 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I used Lynx/Links/Links2 quite often in the past when working remotely, however I find them less useful these days with "modern" sites.

benj1
April 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
i use elinks sometimes, useful if you want to quickly google something and youre already in the terminal, also use it to view python documentation, again easier if youre already if youre already using a python shell

3rdalbum
April 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I like Links2, but I don't use it much these days. I used to use it for browsing on an old iMac with 128mb of RAM. I stopped using it because Links2 always gave me the urge to look up photos of Delta Goodrem... no idea why.

chucky chuckaluck
April 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM
i've used elinks a lot (easy access to gmail and yahoo made it a better choice for me than the other text browsers. never understood lynx, at all). it can be nice sometimes, but the internet is pretty visual and, in my view, a text browser ultimately disappoints.

sertse
April 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
elinks is a good text browser, easy to pick up. Good to have around.

links2 (xlinks2) is the fast graphical browser I've known...

If only elinks and links2 would remerge someday....to form the ultimate "simple" text/graphics browser....

billgoldberg
April 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
i've used elinks a lot (easy access to gmail and yahoo made it a better choice for me than the other text browsers. never understood lynx, at all). it can be nice sometimes, but the internet is pretty visual and, in my view, a text browser ultimately disappoints.

That's right.

It is installed on my system in case X is screwed up and my laptop is stolen, as the last resort to fix stuff.

happysmileman
April 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I've used it for looking at the documentation and talking on MSN (http://mob.ebuddy.com for a text based client for most chat networks, designed for mobile phones) when installing Arch or Gentoo, other than that i've really never used them.