PDA

View Full Version : Hearing lots of positives about Ubuntu 9.04

ade234uk
April 16th, 2009, 10:19 AM
It's good to hear a lot of positives about Ubuntu 9.04. Looking forward to installing this.

I have been using Ubuntu for about 5 months now, dual boot with Windows. I have not used Windows on this machine for about 2 months now. No need.

I only have 6 days left to wait, then my machine becomes Ubuntu only. Windows is gonna get obliterated.

Can you recommend a good partition scheme or should I just go for Ubuntu says?

mkrahmeh
April 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM
9.04 is gr8..lot of updates so far
you may go with what ubuntu says for a partitioning setting, but aren't u interested in trying windows 7 ?
:)

tadcan
April 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I have been using 9.04 for the past fe days and I like it.

You have a number of choices. The first is to choose to use Ext3 or Ext4. Ext3 is the safe file system that has been used up to now. Ext4 is the new file system that is faster but a tiny number of people have had data loss. I picked Ext4 and the boot time is faster then in 8.10.

The standard Ubuntu install will give you two partitions. One root or (/) partition and one swap partition. You can chose to make a home (/home) partition. This means when you upgrade to a new version you just upgrade the root partition and your data on the home partition stays safe. Backing up is still recommended.

Those are the main options you can go for.

ade234uk
April 16th, 2009, 10:31 AM
9.04 is gr8..lot of updates so far
you may go with what ubuntu says for a partitioning setting, but aren't u interested in trying windows 7 ?
:)

I'm afriad of trying Windows 7, just in case I like it. To be honest I have got used to Ubuntu on my machine, anything else seems a bit crappy to me.

I know they say Windows 7 is good, but what's new compared to the new version of Ubuntu?

tadcan
April 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM
windows 7 is due out this time next year. The 10.04 release has not been planed yet. We will all have to wait and see how the two will stack up.

If you have vista there is a smooth upgrade, if you have XP there is not. Then windows will by default put its OS on the whole drive. Leaving you to reinstall Ubuntu afterwards.

hyperdude111
April 16th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Using 9.04 for a while now and loving it. Less bugs, more stable, much faster and some nice themes as well perfect!

Mazza558
April 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM
windows 7 is due out this time next year. The 10.04 release has not been planed yet. We will all have to wait and see how the two will stack up.

If you have vista there is a smooth upgrade, if you have XP there is not. Then windows will by default put its OS on the whole drive. Leaving you to reinstall Ubuntu afterwards.

How can it be due in a year's time if the Release Candidate is out in May?

Giant Speck
April 16th, 2009, 11:24 AM
How can it be due in a year's time if the Release Candidate is out in May?

Windows 7 is scheduled to be released to manufacturers in September, and released as a standalone product in January 2010.

tadcan
April 16th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Opps, I should have double checked that date.

http://windows7news.com/tag/windows-7-release-date/

Anyway Ubuntu 10.04 will still be the nearest release to win7. So the point still stands that we will have to wait until then for a direct comparison.

Northsider
April 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I'm hopeful for the new version. My fiances laptop lost wireless through some updates, I'm hoping that the upgrade will solve it somehow.

Therion
April 16th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Jaunty is the best release I've yet seen since I first installed Feisty Fawn. I thought nothing would ever overwrite my Hardy install and then Intrepid came along and... Well... Intrepid was just a nightmare for me. Ugh. THAT was a dark chapter right there. I began to fear Ubuntu was going downhill. Until, that is, I tried Jaunty's alpha five (or maybe six) release.

It's been pure awesome ever since. Sure there's been a couple tiny hiccups along the way, but every issue has resolved itself with time and updates. Ext4 is working for me and I'm running 64-bit without so much as a hitch with Flash or Java.

Yep... I'm lovin' me some Jaunty.

billgoldberg
April 16th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Yes it's great.

I have it on the notebook.

Haven't switched the desktop yet as I have to move some 200gb of data and all my external HDDs are full, so I'll have to get a new one next week.

haemulon
April 16th, 2009, 07:33 PM
I hope this one works for me.

Had trouble with the last one, but haven't given up on Ubuntu yet.

ugriffin
April 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Intel video cards have gotten extremely slow with 9.04. Hopefully this will get fixed on an update, although I'm not too sure about it. I upgraded my mother's pc over to 9.04 because I broke the KDE installation. The video card really lags.

Besides... I seem to be the only one who hates the new Boot-Screen.

On a pro, GNOME gets an update, and KDE gets 4.2. We also get the relished Cube effect by default!

I have a NVIDIA, so I (hopefully) won't have issues, but for all of those Intel users... I suggest you keep 8.10 until this is fixed.