PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VLC plugin for firefox not working

zebala
April 16th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Hello,

I tried switching from totem to VLC in firefox, since that's what I was used to in (sorry) *cough* windows *cough*. It also can handle almost anything you throw at it. However, after installing mozilla-plugin-vlc, vlc-plugin-esd, restricted codecs etc., nothing seems to work. When I try to load videos online all there is is a black screen. If I click it it says "Video is loading" indefinitely. Any ideas how to fix this? I am really new to ubuntu, less than a week now :). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find the solution after doing intense googling or searching ubuntuforums...

Thank you!

whoelse
April 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Have you completely uninstalled the totem plugin, or have you just deactivated it in Firefox?
When I had them both installed, even if the totem plugin was deactivated, vlc did not work either.

khelben1979
April 16th, 2009, 12:17 PM
According to this document (http://www.portfolioofpb.com/blog/vlc-mozilla-firefox-plugin-crash-firefox-solve-by-uninstall-reinstall-vlc), you're better off uninstalling it.

(the document is a little old, so the issues might have been resolved by using the latest version of VLC as a Mozilla plugin, but I don't know.)

zebala
April 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks! Uninstalling the totem-mozilla plugin seems to have solved the problem. At least some videos were working. Appreciate it. The only problem now is the bug in vlc that stops me from using suspend or hibernate...

matteosistisette
July 3rd, 2010, 07:43 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem: I've installed vlc plugin for mozilla but it doesn't work.

Uninstalling the totem plugin didn't fix anything, not even after reboot.

Any idea?

thanks
m.

LiSrt
February 11th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Same problem here, was using totem, then uninstalled it to replace with vlc, but every time I try to use the plugin to watch a video, I just get a black rectangle.