PDA

View Full Version : Jaunty now or later.

Sashin
April 16th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Is there a difference in between installing the Beta now and then using the Update Manager later and simply installing from the jaunty CD when the stable one is released?

If I install jaunty now, will I have to reinstall or will update manager do that for me?

C!oud
April 16th, 2009, 03:47 AM
If you install the Beta and keep up with your updates you should be fine, thus no need for any final upgrades when Jaunty is released.

SunnyRabbiera
April 16th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Just be cautious, sometimes updates like this can break things.
You are better off waiting for a release canidate, or the official release.

Ewingo401
April 16th, 2009, 04:35 AM
I usually upgrade Ubuntu when the next beta release is made available. I've never had trouble with any of them with the exception of Intrepid, I had to wait for the RC of that one to fix some "deal breaking" issues. The Jaunty beta seems especially stable to me. But then again IIRC the RC is set to come out tomorrow, so maybe just a little more patience will do you some good.

Eviltechie
April 16th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Whenever.

I think it is probably stable enough now. (not two weeks ago though)

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 04:42 AM
it didn't go well for me.

CJ Master
April 16th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Went excelent for me. Why not run it in a virtual machine?

quazi
April 16th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Jaunty works great once installed, but the upgrade broke my system.

Ticketoride
April 16th, 2009, 06:21 AM
A Week ago, I had trashed 8.04 with too many No-Nos, so I had to scratch anyways, and thought I'd give 9.04 a "Quick Shot" before going back to 8.04.

But to my Surprise, Audio now worked really well, lots of other Items now functioned as they should, the OS was smooth and fast, and up to this Date I am not aware of any Bugs with it.

I wouldn't go back to 8.04 ... that would be pointless.

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Jaunty works great once installed, but the upgrade broke my system.

the upgrade trashed my system, it was unusable.

towards the end synaptic started talking to me, it said something about not being able to locate linux image then it said your system may be unusable.

i wasn't worried, it was an excuse to start over nice and clean and taught me to avoid additional breakages.

here's the funny thing, somehow i knew it would break but i proceeded anyway :lol:

rmayer32
April 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Did the upgrade in the Beta version and it wasn't too hot. Did a fresh install with ext4 and it has been running like a champ ever since. :)

Sashin
April 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Okay, I've installed Jaunty 64 beta with ext4. Its been running almost flawlessly.

4th guy
April 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM
I plan to upgrade from the alternative cd image on release day, and then reinstall from scratch to ext4 the following Saturday.