PDA

View Full Version : Should Ubuntu changes it's source?

rucadulu
April 16th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I was chatting with a friend the other day and we got to talking about Ubuntu and various other Linux distro's. The subject came up about Ubuntu changing its base from Debian to another base Like Slackware or just going it on its own and building Ubuntu form scratch. We agreed to disagree. I thought Ubuntu should build form scratch where as he liked the Slackware path. Either way we both thought Ubuntu should leave Debain behind.

Just curious what others think about this topic.

Added later in thread in separate post:

I think that Ubuntu's, Mandriva's, and Fedora's Development pace is far greater then Debian's. And I worry that if Ubuntu is to dependent on Debian that it could fall behind Mandriva and Fedora in the Development and implementation of new code.This is my reason for suggesting that Ubuntu create its own base from scratch. I am really not a big fan of Fedora and would hate to see Ubuntu fall behind Fedora. Mandriva on the other hand I think is a well put together OS and it is good competition for Ubuntu.

As for the Slackware idea like I said that was my friends, his reason was that Slackware is a more stable base from which to grow. And for the record I do not agree that Slackware is more stable than Debian. They are both rock solid and slow to change.

smartboyathome
April 16th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Why would you go to a different base from Debian? Debian has served Ubuntu well.

Jimmynemo2
But why? if they plan on recreating similar to thier current system but under another guise, what could they possibly hope to gain by changing distribution methods at this point in the game?

SuperSonic4
Ubuntu should use pacman :D

Seriously, it's too far down the line for ubuntu to change without serious disruption to it's userbase

Skripka
April 16th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Ubuntu should use pacman :D

Seriously, it's too far down the line for ubuntu to change without serious disruption to it's userbase

They should also go rolling release ;)

fabiola
April 16th, 2009, 03:06 AM
](*,) Why change a recipe when it tastes so good

ddrichardson
April 16th, 2009, 03:07 AM
I was chatting with a friend the other day and we got to talking about Ubuntu and various other Linux distro's. The subject came up about Ubuntu changing its base from Debian to another base Like Slackware or just going it on its own and building Ubuntu form scratch. We agreed to disagree. I thought Ubuntu should build form scratch where as he liked the Slackware path. Either way we both thought Ubuntu should leave Debain behind.

Just curious what others think about this topic.
I'd like Microsoft to embrace open source, world peace and a wife who doesn't complain when I play PS3 at three in the morning. Much like time travel and forking from another distribution however, it isn't going to happen.

Jimmynemo2
April 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I'd like Microsoft to embrace open source, world peace and a wife who doesn't complain when I play PS3 at three in the morning. Much like time travel and forking from another distribution however, it isn't going to happen.

Thank you, I laughed hard.

Bölvağur
April 16th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Debian is the king. And we love the king.

There was an idea long time ago on this forum to move to Solaris, which would make more sense in a little way... but then we'd lose our king :( and hence the king will not help us update ourselves to a more muscular prince.

ticopelp
April 16th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I thought Ubuntu should build form scratch

I'm curious as to why you think this. What would be the benefit?

ddrichardson
April 16th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Debian is the king. And we love the king.

There was an idea long time ago on this forum to move to Solaris, which would make more sense in a little way... but then we'd lose our king :( and hence the king will not help us update ourselves to a more muscular prince.
And people say the open source community can't come up with April's Fool jokes...

23meg
April 16th, 2009, 03:26 AM
And people say the open source community can't come up with April's Fool jokes...

In Community Cafe, every day is April 1st.

As for the topic: no.

cariboo
April 16th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Ian Murdock, formed the name "Debian" as a combination of the first name of his then girlfriend Debra and his own first name.

You may want to change that King to Queen :)

Jim

ddrichardson
April 16th, 2009, 03:38 AM
In Community Cafe, every day is April 1st.

As for the topic: no.
It was the comment about basing Ubuntu on Solaris that was my favourite and now nothing short of a visit from Richard Stallman (or a taco in his likeness) will convince me that this is not a wind-up.

rucadulu
April 16th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I think that Ubuntu's, Mandriva's, and Fedora's Development pace is far greater then Debian's. And I worry that if Ubuntu is to dependent on Debian that it could fall behind Mandriva and Fedora in the Development and implementation of new code.This is my reason for suggesting that Ubuntu create its own base from scratch. I am really not a big fan of Fedora and would hate to see Ubuntu fall behind Fedora. Mandriva on the other hand I think is a well put together OS and it is good competition for Ubuntu.

As for the Slackware idea like I said that was my friends, his reason was that Slackware is a more stable base from which to grow. And for the record I do not agree that Slackware is more stable than Debian. They are both rock solid and slow to change.

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 03:54 AM
if i am not mistaken fedora is red hat....

i think i am understanding a little here on what you mean, you want ubuntu to be unique like opensuse.

edit: you don't want it to be a derivative ?

ddrichardson
April 16th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I think that Ubuntu's, Mandriva's, and Fedora's Development pace is far greater then Debian's. And I worry that if Ubuntu is to dependent on Debian that it could fall behind Mandriva and Fedora in the Development and implementation of new code.This is my reason for suggesting that Ubuntu create its own base from scratch. I am really not a big fan of Fedora and would hate to see Ubuntu fall behind Fedora. Mandriva on the other hand I think is well put together OS and it is good compatition for Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is from Debian unstable and is merged at the beginning of each release cycle (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/ReleaseProcess?highlight=(CategoryProcess\b)#Mergi ng%20with%20Upstream (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/ReleaseProcess?highlight=%28CategoryProcess%5Cb%29 #Merging%20with%20Upstream)). Debian unstable is really active.

Slackware packages are very vanilla. There aren't many patches applied to their source and given Ubuntu's huge penetration I don't think that would be a popular approach. Slackware was my first distro and I have fond memories but it lacks a lot of things that make Ubuntu popular with new Linux users.

meho_r
April 16th, 2009, 04:06 AM
if i am not mistaken fedora is red hat....

i think i am understanding a little here on what you mean, you want ubuntu to be unique like opensuse.

edit: you don't want it to be a derivative ?

Unique like opensuse? Take a look at the image for "uniqueness".

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Unique like opensuse? Take a look at the image for "uniqueness".

i get the drift, seriously i do lol's

edit: thanks for the chart

rucadulu
April 16th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I like the timeline chart very nice.

However, it needs one update that I noticed. Linspire is no longer as it was bought out by Xandros and freespire's next release is rumored to be based on the Xandros Linspire merging of code. But who really knows if that will happen or if freesprie will die.

meho_r
April 16th, 2009, 11:07 AM
I like the timeline chart very nice.

However, it needs one update that I noticed. Linspire is no longer as it was bought out by Xandros and freespire's next release is rumored to be based on the Xandros Linspire merging of code. But who really knows if that will happen or if freesprie will die.

Well, yes, but the chart goes 'til 2007. Unfortunately, I don't know who's the author, I just happened to pick it somewhere on this forum (I think).

EDIT: ...talking of author(s) and chart(s), take a look here (http://futurist.se/gldt/)