View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help picking a laptop - probably an infuriating noob question

April 16th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Hey everyone, I'm picking up a laptop soon for college, and I would really like to run Ubuntu on it. Problem is, when I run Ubuntu on my dell desktop, it makes my computer LOUD - which I cannot stand - and I want to know which laptops people have found to work with Ubuntu or Linux in general well. I'm not looking for a netbook, and I plan on booting Windows through an external drive if I end up needing it. I plan on checking everything that I will get in my laptop on the Hardware compatibility page, but I want to know a good laptop to start with. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere (as it probably has). I just would really like to get into Linux more.

April 16th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I hear System76 makes good Ubuntu machines. (http://system76.com/)

April 16th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I think the first issue is to pick a laptop that otherwise meets your needs and then check to see if the H/W is well supported by Linux. You can check out installation reports at http://www.linux-laptop.net/. Hmmm... I'm using a Thinkpad T500 and there are no reports for that one. IIRC, most everything is supported. I happen to like Thinkpads and they seem to work well. The only thing I can think of that is not supported out of the box on Ubuntu is the daemon that parks the HD if the laptop is dropped. I think other laptops mostly work as well so if you don't prefer Thinkpads, check out what you prefer.

Since you will have trouble finding a main stream laptop w/out Windows already installed, a common strategy is to repartition and install Linux in a dual boot configuration. Another alternative is to install a VM like Virtualbox and run the other OS as a guest on your primary OS.

April 16th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I have ubuntu running on a dell vostro, the computer was around $350 and works great! The only issue I had was getting the wireless networking up and going, but I bet with the new release that it won't be much of an issue.