PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] First time

Mister LinOx
April 16th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I'm going to download Ubuntu(well, probably xubuntu) and I was wondering if I would need to uninstall Windows and then install it.

I've been on linux before, but it's been a long time. It was before I knew a lot about software, programming, and computers in general, so I'm wanting to try it again.

My brother said he might be over with a disc soon, tomorrow maybe, but if he's not, I'll just burn my own disc and use the help you give me to install it.

So, if you do help me, I appreciate it.

sowelie
April 16th, 2009, 02:14 AM
You can install it alongside windows if you want (there's even a windows based installer called wubi). You can resize your windows partition from the live cd using gparted.

Jimmynemo2
April 16th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Howdy-

good news for you- you can do either one first. Assuming its vista you will be installing with ubuntu, either will see the other being installed and set up their boot loader accordingly.

So it almost matters more which boot loader you want to be using. I dont really care between them, as they both work pretty well groovy.

Mister LinOx
April 16th, 2009, 02:27 AM
You can install it alongside windows if you want (there's even a windows based installer called wubi). You can resize your windows partition from the live cd using gparted.

Would it cause Linux to run slower than usual? I was thinking of putting it on a usb drive and doing that, but I think I'd rather partition my HD.

@Jimmy: Well, I am using XP

Jimmynemo2
April 16th, 2009, 02:44 AM
On my first install, I used Wubi- no worries there. It was just as fast as native, and it really made making sure it would be installed properly a breeze.

Jimmynemo2
April 16th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Add- since you are using XP, I would install with wubi if you are planning a dual boot- it'll install grub as your boot loader and automatically get it configured for your dual boot for you.

Mister LinOx
April 16th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Add- since you are using XP, I would install with wubi if you are planning a dual boot- it'll install grub as your boot loader and automatically get it configured for your dual boot for you.
So does that mean, if I wanted to, I could install it right now, and set up for dual boot with no problem?

Jimmynemo2
April 16th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Yes sir. I downloaded the CD, ran it from within windows, chose install with wubi, adn it had one easy options page, then it did all the rest.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Mister LinOx
April 16th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Yes sir. I downloaded the CD, ran it from within windows, chose install with wubi, adn it had one easy options page, then it did all the rest.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Well, my brother is going to try to get here and he's going to help me through some other things, but if he's not, just in case, what do I need to do exactly after I run the wubi or if I download it on a disc?

Jimmynemo2
April 16th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Actually, no. Once you run wubi, just restart. You get to choose between windows and ubuntu. After that, then you are good to go on both.

Mister LinOx
April 16th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Actually, no. Once you run wubi, just restart. You get to choose between windows and ubuntu. After that, then you are good to go on both.

Well, I might do that then, but it'll be tomorrow. Thank you for your help, though. I appreciate it. :D