PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] A GRUBby mess

seanlano
April 16th, 2009, 01:41 AM
Hi all!
Until recently I was triple-booting Intrepid, Jaunty beta, and Windows XP. I installed GRUB from Jaunty to the MBR, so it had control. This worked fine, but Jaunty seemed incredibly unstable on my Thinkpad laptop, so I decided to scrap it. I knew I needed to give Intrepid back the GRUB control, so I looked up how to do it, and I ran:
sudo grub-install hd0,0 which wasn't quite what I wanted to do, as it tried to install GRUB to my Windows partition instead of the MBR. I didn't realise the problem immediately, and after a re-boot I found that Jaunty still had GRUB control. I then realised that hd0,0 was not the correct destination, and from Intrepid I then ran
sudo grub-install hd0 which has worked fine. I then removed the Jaunty partition, and Intrepid works fine.

But this is my problem: I cannot boot Windows! Whenever I select it from the GRUB menu, the screen goes blank for a second, then returns to the GRUB boot list. From Intrepid, I cannot mount the NTFS Windows partition, and the Intrepid Live-CD cannot mount it either. What have I done? Has GRUB eaten my Windows partition? Can I uninstall GRUB from hd0,0? Can anything be done? (Obviously I would like to avoid a Windows re-install, at least I would need to copy the Documents and Settings from each user, which I cannot do). Please, any ideas? This is the worst I have ever screwed up the computer, because it affects Windows, which is what the rest of the family use. :( Can I force an NTFS mount, then run fsck?

meierfra.
April 16th, 2009, 01:44 AM
sudo grub-install hd0,0

This overwrote the Windows Boot sector. To fix it:

Download the testdisk-6.10.linux26.tar.bz2 package (http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-6.10.linux26.tar.bz2) to your Ubuntu desktop, and then do:

cd ~/Desktop
tar xvf testdisk-6.10.linux26.tar.bz2
sudo testdisk-6.10/linux/testdisk_static /dev/sda

Choose "proceed" on the first screen, then
"intel"
"advanced",
Select the Windows partition (although it should be selected already) and choose
"boot"
"BackupBS"
Type "Y" to confirm

then press "q" a few times to quit testdisk, reboot and see whether you can boot into Windows.

seanlano
April 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Wow, as simple as that! :D

Worked a treat. Thanks a heap! Crappy NTFS/Windows...

Now, if only I could get Jaunty to work... :(

meierfra.
April 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Worked a treat.
Great.

Crappy NTFS/Windows...
Can't blame this one Windows :). It was you, who overwrote the boot sector.

if only I could get Jaunty to work.

Jaunty is still beta. So I suggest to wait until the final version comes out.

seanlano
April 16th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Can't blame this one Windows
I know, but it makes me feel better. ;)

Yeah, I will wait for the RC or final, but I have another computer on which Jaunty has worked almost perfectly since Alpha 6. Oh well. Intrepid does the job for now, I suppose.

Thanks.