PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good way of supporting ubuntu?

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I would like to support ubuntu in any way I can. Whats the best way for me to do this? I really want to help out here, and if so, what would be a great way of helping out? I know it's a short thread but I really don't have many ideas, but this is a great community and a great operating system that I use everyday and am using now. Get back to me :)

Sinserelly,
Dragos240

0per4t0r
April 16th, 2009, 12:52 AM
buy something from their store, or just donate to them. Either that, or spread it on other forums, web pages, and everywhere you can.

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I can do all three :)

Tibuda
April 16th, 2009, 01:01 AM
buy something from their store, or just donate to them. Either that, or spread it on other forums, web pages, and everywhere you can.

Just read this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865750) before spreading the news.

23meg
April 16th, 2009, 01:02 AM
This may give you some ideas:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributeToUbuntu

Giant Speck
April 16th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Using Ubuntu would be a good way to start.

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Sounds good! Whats a good way to help spread the work in my town? I'm basically a reject in a town with barely no linux, how can I tell other people about the advantages and disadvantages of linux. It's hard to get people to just sit down and talk.

Using Ubuntu would be a good way to start.

Heh, nice one.

original_jamingrit
April 16th, 2009, 01:40 AM
If your ISP allows you to use bittorrent, maybe download the disc image torrents. Once you've downloaded them, let them seed for a while. I'm sure the popular ones don't need any more seeders, but it couldn't hurt.

smartboyathome
April 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Sounds good! Whats a good way to help spread the work in my town? I'm basically a reject in a town with barely no linux, how can I tell other people about the advantages and disadvantages of linux. It's hard to get people to just sit down and talk.

Heh, nice one.

Try to organize a LUG in your town if there isn't one, and hold something similar to Linuxfest here. That is what we do at our local LUG, and it is pretty successful.

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Try to organize a LUG in your town if there isn't one, and hold something similar to Linuxfest here. That is what we do at our local LUG, and it is pretty successful.

I think I'll start one during break (next week). that should help! But how could you spread the word? It IS a small town I live in, so it should be easier than spreading it in L.A.

reprobus
April 16th, 2009, 03:17 AM
I can't code or anything like that and I don't make much money at my minimum wage job. So I contribute by testing the betas and filing bug reports.

days_of_ruin
April 16th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Help code the linux kernel.;)

3rdalbum
April 16th, 2009, 04:42 AM
You could contribute towards documentation for a program that doesn't have much documentation (or has outdated documentation).

mihai.ile
April 16th, 2009, 01:05 PM
testing is a great way, if you have any mp3 players or so test if working good with rhythmbox, submit bug reports. Make tutorials, help with stuff in ubuntu wiki or even here on the forum...

EDIT: oh and if you think starting a new great super application search first if any abandoned idea already existed and help there instead of making an almost duplicate project.

3rdalbum
April 16th, 2009, 01:20 PM
You could start a repository for later version of popular software than are available for the current release of Ubuntu (i.e. Openoffice.org 3 for Ubuntu 8.10, though I'm sure this has already been done).

Packaging software for Debian or Ubuntu is easy - just compile the software to a custom directory, create one of those files that lists the package name, version, dependencies etc (just modify an existing one) and run one command, and the package is made. There are GUIs to help you although I've never got them to work strangely enough.

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the seggestions! :)

iiiears
April 16th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Keep a torrent open for the iso you downloaded.
Mention the operating system you prefer in your SIG.
Add an Ubuntu GNU Linux logo to your website.
Participate in discussions of free open source software online.

~Best Wishes.

billgoldberg
April 16th, 2009, 07:37 PM
If your ISP allows you to use bittorrent, maybe download the disc image torrents. Once you've downloaded them, let them seed for a while. I'm sure the popular ones don't need any more seeders, but it couldn't hurt.

An ISP might not like bittorrent traffic and some might even throttle it, but I have yet to see one that doesn't allow it.

My torrents are on pretty much 24/7.

--

Advertising Ubuntu amongst friends would be a good way to supporting Ubuntu besides the obvious buy from store/donate.

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Using Ubuntu and getting involved in the forums are good.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Create a launchpad account, and report some bugs.

Also, you can do something similar to what I am working on and spread some awareness. (Word of mouth kind of thing).

Make sure you have permission before you help someone install though. Also, Wubi is a good starter, rather than dual boot.

Find some old hardware and replace Windows with Ubuntu or perhaps Puppy on an old system. Donate these to someone who needs a good computer. (Ubuntu is pretty excellent even without internet)

raci2020
April 16th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I would like to support ubuntu in any way I can. Whats the best way for me to do this? I really want to help out here, and if so, what would be a great way of helping out? I know it's a short thread but I really don't have many ideas, but this is a great community and a great operating system that I use everyday and am using now. Get back to me :)

Sinserelly,
Dragos240
While you are in a group of friends having a tech talk, do mention about ubuntu for being a freeware operating system not like others which take huge pays for just the try.....

raci2020
April 16th, 2009, 08:06 PM
When you are in a group of people having a tech talk, do mention about ubuntu for being a free of cost OS not like others which take huge amt for usage