PDA

View Full Version : What words/phrases do you hate?

Pages : [1] 2

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 12:14 AM
What the title says.

Me, I hate it when people say "all over the place" when they really mean "a minuscule spot on the floor". I also get pissed irritated when they use "if I were you..." to give me advice: "Well you aren't, so why the hell should I listen to you??"

</rage>

bruce89
April 16th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I also get pissed when ...

No need to take up drinking.

Anyway, mine are "gutted", and "I could care less", amongst other things.

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 12:16 AM
When my age group thinks it's better to say 'like', than for example, and thinks that the phrase is for nerds. Someday they'll just have to communicate.

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Heh.

I've never heard "gutted" before, can you explain it?

Skripka
April 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM
When someone is talking about the weather "It is supposed to be _____ ...."

"Can I ask you a question?"

"like"

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM

I agree.
One thing that bugs me is a tendency I've notice on TV these days is for people to say "pissed" (i.e. drunk) when the person means "pissed off" (i.e. angry).

Another niggle is with people who say things like "I didn't do nothing". If it wasn't "nothing" they were doing, what exactly was it that they were doing?

abn91c
April 16th, 2009, 12:20 AM
All the morons that try to sound smart by using Buzz words like
trepidation
sinergy
out of the box
edgy
eclectic
paradigm

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 12:21 AM
One thing that bugs me is a tendency I've notice on TV these days is for people to say "pissed" (i.e. drunk) when the person means "pissed off" (i.e. angry).
Well then, I'll be more careful in the future. ;)

@abn91c: We've undergone a paradigm shift in order to include synergy in our somewhat eclectic business practices. Naturally, we approach this decision with no minor trepidation.

bruce89
April 16th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I've never heard "gutted" before, can you explain it?

Um, in the non-fish sense, it means to feel empty after some major trauma.

sadicote
April 16th, 2009, 12:25 AM
"I am thinking of switching back to Windows..." just go, will you?

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 12:25 AM
"Can I ask you a question?"

Yes. They've already denied you the choice.

How about when you've done something once and someone says, "you always do that."

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Um, in the non-fish sense, it means to feel empty after some major trauma.
Mhm, thanks for clearing that up.

I've also noticed that some people say "all right?" after every *ing word, so I eventually crack and scream "ALL RIGHT!!!! WHAT DID YOU WANT TO SAY, ANYWAY??"

Uruz2012
April 16th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I agree.

This is actually the way the word is used in the US. I was confused for a moment until I saw where you're from.;)

Sealbhach
April 16th, 2009, 12:28 AM
There's a phrase they use in the UK - "when push comes to shove". I find it very negative and cynical.

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I agree.

Another niggle is with people who say things like "I didn't do nothing". If it wasn't "nothing" they were doing, what exactly was it that they were doing?

In American English, "pissed" doesn't mean "drunk." "Pissed" and "pissed off" both mean angry.

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 12:30 AM
This is actually the way the word is used in the US. I was confused for a moment until I saw where you're from.;)

:)

It can get confusing at times with the different idioms in different countries. I've done a rant elsewhere in the forums about kicking people in the "donkey".

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 12:31 AM
There's a phrase they use in the UK - "when push comes to shove". I find it very negative and cynical.
Me, I hate it when people compare things that are entirely identical — "push" and "shove", for instance. "'When push comes to shove'? Isn't that basically the same as saying 'when amble comes to mosey'?"

Who else despises "exactly the same"? I know "exactly" is for emphasis, but even so...

I've done a rant elsewhere in the forums about kicking people in the "donkey".
I once wrote an entire essay on a similar word usage. Can't remember what it was, though.

Skripka
April 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
How about people saying "axe" when they mean "ask"?

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 12:33 AM
/me goes postal, then curls up and dies

Man, that absolutely drives me crazy.

0per4t0r
April 16th, 2009, 12:50 AM
the word "spaz." it freakin' drives me crazy.

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Annoys me too!

In American English, "pissed" doesn't mean "drunk." "Pissed" and "pissed off" both mean angry.
I think the "drunk" meaning comes from a colloquialism: to "get on the ****" can mean to drink beer (usually lots of it).

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I think the "drunk" meaning comes from a colloquialism: to "get on the ****" can mean to drink beer (usually lots of it).

I've wondered that. I'd thought it might have had something to do with getting so drunk that one pisses his pants. Do you use "****" for "urinate" too?

JECHO
April 16th, 2009, 01:30 AM
i cant stand over-used quotes or phrases like "Live life to the fullest" or those stupid stickers people put on their cars that say "Live. Love. Laugh."

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I've wondered that. I'd thought it might have had something to do with getting so drunk that one pisses his pants. Do you use "****" for "urinate" too?
Yes. It's a delightfully ambiguous word.

Giant Speck
April 16th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Yes. It's a delightfully ambiguous word.

I remember when I was a little kid, and Chumbawamba's song "Tubthumping" was always on the radio. The line "******* the night away" always confused me.

:lolflag:

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I remember when I was a little kid, and Chumbawamba's song "Tubthumping" was always on the radio. The line "******* the night away" always confused me.

Or the song from the show/movie West Side Story: "I like to be in a merry car"

<off-topic religious parody>"Our father, white shirts in heaven, Harold be thy name</off-topic religious parody>

days_of_ruin
April 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
"smart" as in the ibm commercials.

Giant Speck
April 16th, 2009, 01:46 AM

Or the song from the show/movie West Side Story: "I like to be in a merry car"

"I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty! I feel pretty and witty and gay!"

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 01:48 AM
"Live. Love. GO POSTAL ON THOSE CLICHÉ-USING MORONS."

:)

tom66
April 16th, 2009, 01:48 AM
"Well, they do say..."

Who says? People say this, I think they refer to experts, but I'm not sure.

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Ooh ooh! "Everyone knows..." And a variation on yours: "They say that..."

"Who is this 'they' of whom you speak??"

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 01:57 AM
"I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty! I feel pretty and witty and gay!"

:) There's material in the deleted scenes for "Back to the future" that touches on a related topic, but we digress.....

skymera
April 16th, 2009, 01:57 AM
"Where the devil have you been?"

My most hated. It seems American films get English people to say this. I don't know why, being British I've never said this nor heard anyone say it.

@ It's said in Die Hard 2 when the British plane is cleared for landing by terrorists. yada yada

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 02:02 AM
<off-topic religious parody>"Our father, white shirts in heaven, Harold be thy name</off-topic religious parody>

Yeah, when I was a kid, I thought it was "Our Father who AREN'T in Heaven..."

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 02:05 AM
How about a lack of words as when people in movies or on TV end their telephone conversations without saying "goodbye." They just finish what they're saying and hang up.

sekinto
April 16th, 2009, 02:14 AM
"That's sooo gay."

"That's gay." is bad enough (as a replacement for "That's stupid."), but what makes something sooo gay?

"That's like communism!"

It is used inappropriately way too often. Most of the people who say it don't even understand what communism is.

"LOL"

Think twice. Did you really laugh out loud or are you just giving the same stupid generic response as everyone else. If you didn't actually laugh but want to acknowledge someone's wit you could say something like "Your/That's witty/clever/funny/etc.."

"Epic"

Also overused, there are a lot of things that are epic, but the thing you are refering to probably isn't. Example: This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1HQ7Fo2Uvg) is epic.

"Web 2.0"

Web 2.0 is supposed to refer to parts of the Internet where content is created by users, but it is often misused to refer to icons and such found on Web 2.0 sites. I've seen graphic design tutorials called "How to make a Web 2.0 design." How can a static website design be "Web 2.0"?

"Micro$oft" and "Winblows"

You just make yourself look stupid/immature when you use these words.

"Your move.", "Your ignorance is showing." and "Keep on trolling." (while debating)

They make you sound like a ****.

Ericyzfr1
April 16th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Walking up to the counter and the cashier says:
"What Now?"

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 02:16 AM
How about a lack of words as when people in movies or on TV end their telephone conversations without saying "goodbye." They just finish what they're saying and hang up.

So I'm not the only one to have noticed this..... I first noticed in an episode of "The Six Million Dollar Man" many years ago.

days_of_ruin
April 16th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Just remembered another one:
"EXPERTS" SAYING : "A LITTLE OF BOTH" GAAAAAAAAARRRR!!!!!!!!
WHAT YOU REALLY MEAN IS : "I HAVE NO GUTS AT ALL SO I WILL SAY NOTHING DECISIVE"

Giant Speck
April 16th, 2009, 02:23 AM
Walking up to the counter and the cashier says:
"What Now?"

I've walked up to a counter at KFC only to have the cashier blurt out "We ain't got no biscuits!"

I do miss that KFC, though. If they didn't have enough of something, forcing you to have to wait, they gave you a free drink while you wait and a free chocolate chip cake.

SuperSonic4
April 16th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Misuse of the double negative

"I could care less"

"You like *insert anything here*" - I know what I like, I don't need someone telling me that

kpatz
April 16th, 2009, 02:36 AM
"Make time". As a reply to "I don't have time to..."

If I could MAKE time, I would be the richest person in the world! It drives me crazy.

Another thing that drives me crazy is, when I say something, and then the person I said it to repeats it back to me as a question. Such as:

Me: "I got a sandwich."
Them: "You got a sandwich?"

Duh... that's what I just said!! I'm tempted to answer "no" next time someone does that...

Overused expressions, like "wicked" and "awesome" drive me nuts too.

click4851
April 16th, 2009, 02:36 AM
lately.....change and hope

ticopelp
April 16th, 2009, 02:37 AM
"Fail" might have been funny once upon a time, but it's been used too often and too mindlessly.

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 02:40 AM
lately.....change and hope
Or "maverick".

TheSlipstream
April 16th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Oh man.
"Everything happens for a reason."
And any and all references to God's will outside of a religious situation, eg. "God wanted it to be this way."

Words cannot describe how much I hate these phrases.

Bölvaður
April 16th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I really hate the phrase "thread closed", specially during public speeches I do when the gentle man in front will not stop yelling it.

oh... I hate that guy :popcorn:

Jimmynemo2
April 16th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Two things:

"I am thinking of switching back to Windows..." just go, will you?" This guys post- I hate that attitude and those words.

Second, one I normally dont like- when people say "I think" in front of everything. We know you think it, that's why you are saying it. Just say the thing you think and let things fall where they might.

Mulenmar
April 16th, 2009, 03:08 AM
My most hated phrases:

"I'm so sick of people saying Linux is better than Windows"

"Linux is virus-proof!"

"Windows will never be destroyed!"

"I can't get this piddly little thing to work, I'm going back to *******" -- without even TRYING to get assistance.

"I'm so sick of morons using big words"

"Distro X is way better that Distro Y because it looks better"

Calling Linux an operating system -- it's a KERNEL

And, so far the number one peeve outside of grammatical error and encapsulation of a another point within a conclusion's leadin (yeah, it's not a phrase but oh well)

Creating a million spinoffs of a distro, and the requisite duplicate mirrors, merely to make it look better and have a couple fancy tools instead of creating those themes and tools and sending them to the original disto!

doas777
April 16th, 2009, 03:10 AM
irregardless

<
on an opposing note, I hate it when someone corrects another for misusing 'Irony'. If Irony is 'the use of a word to mean other than it;s literal definition', then the only worthwhile 'Irony' would be a double entendre, aka a pun. Since irony is supposedly high-brow, this doesn't fit with the low-brow reputation puns have.
/pointless rant>

Giant Speck
April 16th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Virii

It's not a word. It doesn't make you look smarter than those who use the correct word "viruses."

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 03:13 AM
People who say "First!" when commenting on blog posts. What's the fricking point??

ticopelp
April 16th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Second, one I normally dont like- when people say "I think" in front of everything. We know you think it, that's why you are saying it. Just say the thing you think and let things fall where they might.

The flip side of this is when people say "fact" when they really mean their opinion. Drives me nuts. :p

Jimmynemo2
April 16th, 2009, 03:24 AM
The flip side of this is when people say "fact" when they really mean their opinion. Drives me nuts. :p

funny enough, that annoys me as well.

We probably also agree on the ever annoying "thats your opinion" too. OF COURSE IT'S OUR OPINION, but your failed attempt at stating the obvious didn't attack or defend my position in any way.

ticopelp
April 16th, 2009, 03:28 AM
We probably also agree on the ever annoying "thats your opinion" too. OF COURSE IT'S OUR OPINION, but your failed attempt at stating the obvious didn't attack or defend my position in any way.

Yeah, that is a weird one. It seems to be used often by people who don't understand the difference between objective and subjective.

Another one that drives me crazy is the mass generalization: "Anyone who (likes / doesn't like) $THING is (stupid, crazy, illiterate, etc.)"

itsStephen
April 16th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Verandah

I can't stress enough how much I think that is the stupidest word ever made!

underyourskin
April 16th, 2009, 03:35 AM
well in a nutshell, at the end of the day, to be honest, i'm not being funny, but...isn't the weather awfull.<that just about sums up all the most irritating sentence starters i can think of. Especially 'at the end of the day'. Yeah, at the end of the day the sun goes down and we all go to sleep. Why can't people be more constructive with their 'phrases'.

days_of_ruin
April 16th, 2009, 03:36 AM
irregardless

<
on an opposing note, I hate it when someone corrects another for misusing 'Irony'. If Irony is 'the use of a word to mean other than it;s literal definition', then the only worthwhile 'Irony' would be a double entendre, aka a pun. Since irony is supposedly high-brow, this doesn't fit with the low-brow reputation puns have.
/pointless rant>

+1. Also I hate people overusing "Ironic", "Irony" etc.

chucky chuckaluck
April 16th, 2009, 03:38 AM
very cool (ala little hipster dorks)
24/7
issues (as in 'abandonment issues')
empowerment
"but, anywho..."
life partner
persons (why not just use 'people'?)
referring to software as "robust"
"classically trained" when referring to a musician who was probably less than successful at classical music.
extended family
wellness
"better get my day started"
'bad boy', when used as a pronoun for inanimate objects
artisinal cheeses
healthy choices

+1 for "i could care less" (so could i, but it's not worth the effort, i suppose.)

edit: my apologies for any annoyances i may have failed to mention.

supersonicdarky
April 16th, 2009, 03:45 AM
1) stupid misspellings
ex: your (when it should be you're)

2) "*nix sux" or something among those lines

3) all of those silly, unfounded motivation phrases for kids
ex: be the best you can be

There are probably more but I am unable to recall them now.

djsroknrol
April 16th, 2009, 03:46 AM
I can't stand it when someone says "Oh really?"...it makes me cringe. To me it just shows plain ignorance.

Giant Speck
April 16th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I can't stand it when someone says "Oh really?"...it makes me cringe. To me it just shows plain ignorance.

http://mashable.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/o_rly.jpg

Mr Tim
April 16th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Just a couple of things:
When people pronounce a 'k' instead of a 'g'. As in somethink.
Also when people use the phrase "I am offended" when they shouldn't be.
But maybe I am just fickle.

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 04:07 AM
"special" — when referring to disabled/disadvantaged people (makes it seem like they're better than unhindered folks, not just equal)
"gay(a**)/******" — people who say these things have severe problems with homophobia
"what/where in the name of God..." — some of us aren't religious! GAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR

Man, English is so annoying... :-|

@Mr Tim: We're all fickle here. ;)

Add: UF censors "a**"? What the hell?

ddrichardson
April 16th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I'm surprised that there are UK posters here and no one has mentioned that damn fashion for saying "is it" as a response to any question.

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 04:35 AM
i use most of those phrases frequently :-#

CJ Master
April 16th, 2009, 05:48 AM
i use most of those phrases frequently :-#

*gets shotgun*

Ericyzfr1
April 16th, 2009, 05:53 AM
A word I heard a few times....SupposeBBly!

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 05:53 AM
*gets shotgun*

:tongue:

-grubby
April 16th, 2009, 05:59 AM
*nix
GNU/Linux
Pet peeve
Hush

Probably a truckload more I can't think of right now.

sekinto
April 16th, 2009, 06:03 AM
"what/where in the name of God..." — some of us aren't religious! GAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR

The belief it God is not a religion, it is a philosophical view. A religion is a organised collection of philosophies, not a single one.

You can believe in a god and be religious.
You can not believe in a god and be religious.
You can believe in a god and not be religious.
You can not believe in a god and not be religious.

Just clarifying. In fact, phrases where people equate the belief in a god or gods to religion are phrases I dislike. Some people even think atheism means you reject religion, it actually means you reject the belief the idea of supreme beings.

Note to mods: Not a religious discussion really, just a discussion about semantics.

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 06:05 AM
A word I heard a few times....SupposeBBly!

I hate that one!

Also, I once heard a woman tell her child,"you're not being have!" (have rhymes with cave)

sekinto
April 16th, 2009, 06:09 AM
I hate that one!

Also, I once heard a woman tell her child,"you're not being have!" (have rhymes with cave)

Does that even make sense?

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Does that even make sense?
No, but what she meant was, "you're not behaving."

mkendall
April 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
nucular (nuclear)

elCabron
April 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
"That'd be grand, like"

DougieFresh4U
April 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I hate when I am talking to some one and they are saying:
"Your right, your right" or all they can say when talking to me:
"Ya know"

beercz
April 16th, 2009, 11:38 AM
My kind of thread, sadly!!

I have few:

Having worked in tech support for a company I often got:

My computer at home ....
I didn't read the error message
Have you got ....?
Do you know ....?
Can I borrow <<usually some kind of software>> ....?
My computer's crashed ....!
Why can't I ....?
How do I <<do some particular task on a bit of software>>....?
<<over the phone when I am off duty or have a day off>>Sorry to disturb you, but my computer .....?Also working in a business environment, I hear the following quite a lot, which really, really annoys me:

Blue sky thinking
Glass ceiling
Thinking outside the box
Upskill
How do we move this forward?
Take ownership <<of a product/idea>>
Team-player
Touch base
Moneytise <<a product>>
Low hanging fruit
Solutions [I always think of salt and water when I see/hear this - it seems everyone has "solutions", yet know one seems to have answers]
Brain dumpWhat a load of crap!!

And the absolute worst, usually expressed in terms of effort, has to be:

giving 110%

abn91c
April 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
next time some one tells you "You know what i'm saying" reply no and ask them to elaboraate

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
The belief it God is not a religion, it is a philosophical view. A religion is a organised collection of philosophies, not a single one.

You can believe in a god and be religious.
You can not believe in a god and be religious.
You can believe in a god and not be religious.
You can not believe in a god and not be religious.

Just clarifying. In fact, phrases where people equate the belief in a god or gods to religion are phrases I dislike. Some people even think atheism means you reject religion, it actually means you reject the belief the idea of supreme beings.

Note to mods: Not a religious discussion really, just a discussion about semantics.
Meh, true I guess. It's just that the overwhelming majority of religions involve a supreme being, so it seems like it would be okay to generalize here.

Ben Crisford
April 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I don't like it when people say no offence.

It annoys me so much!!!!

I know someone who is frequently is saying stuff like this:
"Your hair is awful you really need to change it!!! No offence or anything".

And they seem to think they make it ok by saying that. I don't get offended easily at all, and I don't mind them saying that they are actually a god friend of mine.

But it still really annoys me....

Ben Crisford
April 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM
And the absolute worst, usually expressed in terms of effort, has to be:
Giving 110% Effort

Sorry for the double post. But I can't stand that either!!!

If anyone that uses that phrase is reading this:
Stop using it!!! Can't you do maths? "%" Means out of 100! Not 110!!!!

Sorry, I just feel a bit strongly about that :).

Ben

itreius
April 16th, 2009, 01:02 PM
"I'm not racist, but..."
"God bless you"
"Is it just me or...<rest>?"

jrothwell97
April 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Sorry for the double post. But I can't stand that either!!!

If anyone that uses that phrase is reading this:
Stop using it!!! Can't you do maths? "%" Means out of 100! Not 110!!!!

Sorry, I just feel a bit strongly about that :).

Ben
Another repeat offender is 'I've always put my hands up and said...' and 'just this once I screwed up...'

It sounds desperately like you're trying to defend yourself from an imminent firing - maybe even on a reality show.

I also hate it when politicians are never immediately to-the-point about what they're saying. For example: 'from today we are putting in place a proper framework for investing in (schools/hospitals/prisons) which will benefit the whole community and put money in the pockets of hard-working families.' It's just full of cliché, it doesn't actually mean anything. Politicians in the UK (from all parties) speak like that all the time.

*must resist opportunity to make jokes about Jacqui Smith's husband's collection of gentlemen's special interest literature*

apmcd47
April 16th, 2009, 01:14 PM
"I hear what you're saying" meaning "and I don't give a f***"

And what about "times less" or "times fewer"?

There have been four times fewer accidents since the cameras were installed
The number has dropped by three quarters? It has reduced by a factor of four? The number for period ... is a quarter of that in the same period before ... ?

I've noticed my kids use, e.g. "should of" instead of "should have" or its contraction "should've". I was originally annoyed at that. Evolution of English in progress...

ELD
April 16th, 2009, 01:44 PM
"Come on dude it's only £x"

If i tell you i have no money, i mean it, i don't have a spare £x that just appeared from you saying that.

capnthommo
April 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I also hate it when politicians are never immediately to-the-point about what they're saying. For example: 'from today we are putting in place a proper framework for investing in (schools/hospitals/prisons) which will benefit the whole community and put money in the pockets of hard-working families.' It's just full of cliché, it doesn't actually mean anything. Politicians in the UK (from all parties) speak like that all the time.

does anybody remember the television interview from the late nineteen eighties when Jeremy Paxman (a notoriously fierce interviewer on the BBC) continued asking a politician (John Knott?) 'just answer yes or no' something like 15 times. Mr Knott eventually tore his, knott's, bud-mic off and stormed out of the studio.

To get back to the point, this is a really entertaining thread. I would contribute some of my favourites, but if you allowed me 24 hours I could probably come up with thousands. So I just won't bother. Of course if language didn't change it would stagnate, and change is often going to 'get up sombody's goat' (can't remember where I heard that one).

I will ask, however, has anyone noticed how the name 'Nigel' only ever seems to appear in t.v or film as shorthand for the effete upper-class Englishman, or the evil English villain? Can anyone recall seeing a Nigel who isn't one of those? I ask only from interest.
NIGEL the Englishman (sorry)
cheers
;)

doas777
April 16th, 2009, 02:21 PM
This thread is a lot like a Carlin show; No one leaves unscathed.

"He's not going to attack the children, is he? Yes, He Is! Remember this is the conductor speaking..." --George Carlin

gn2
April 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Two that really annoy me:

1) should of done

2) moreish

Anyone uttering either of these should be deported to a Siberian Gulag.

jrothwell97
April 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
does anybody remember the television interview from the late nineteen eighties when Jeremy Paxman (a notoriously fierce interviewer on the BBC) continued asking a politician (John Knott?) 'just answer yes or no' something like 15 times. Mr Knott eventually tore his, knott's, bud-mic off and stormed out of the studio.

To get back to the point, this is a really entertaining thread. I would contribute some of my favourites, but if you allowed me 24 hours I could probably come up with thousands. So I just won't bother. Of course if language didn't change it would stagnate, and change is often going to 'get up sombody's goat' (can't remember where I heard that one).

I will ask, however, has anyone noticed how the name 'Nigel' only ever seems to appear in t.v or film as shorthand for the effete upper-class Englishman, or the evil English villain? Can anyone recall seeing a Nigel who isn't one of those? I ask only from interest.
NIGEL the Englishman (sorry)
cheers
;)
It was Paxman interviewing Michael Howard on Newsnight, and he asked the question "Did you threaten to overrule him?" twelve times before they had to end the interview. (It was actually, Paxman later revealed in an interview, because he had to fill time due to the fact the next item wasn't ready.)

Eisenwinter
April 16th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I absolutely hate it when people use words like:

"iggy list" (ignore list)
"addy" (address)
"comp" (computer)
"puter" (computer)

And I strongly dislike excessive use of the word "like" (like i was doing right so like he was like "hey do this" and i was like...) - really annoys the **** outta me.

Therion
April 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Eschew and kiosk. I'm not sure why I hate those two words so much, but I do.

chucky chuckaluck
April 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM
"iggy list" (ignore list)

you've gotta be kidding. people really say that?

kamitsukai
April 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I dislike certain regional words like Nipper (usually someone who is 16 or under although being 18 I still get called it:evil:) and the other one when I used to visit my uncle in Plymouth was "you alright my lover" I cringe every time I hear someone say that;)

billgoldberg
April 16th, 2009, 04:13 PM
What the title says.

Me, I hate it when people say "all over the place" when they really mean "a minuscule spot on the floor". I also get pissed irritated when they use "if I were you..." to give me advice: "Well you aren't, so why the hell should I listen to you??"

</rage>

Don't really have any English ones, have a lot of Dutch ones.

I dislike a lot of stuff people say.

But these days I don't get mad about things like that any more, well not that much as I used to.

billgoldberg
April 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Ooh ooh! "Everyone knows..." And a variation on yours: "They say that..."

"Who is this 'they' of whom you speak??"

People.

:p

forrestcupp
April 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM

I think that's regional. In the U.S., pissed doesn't necessarily mean drunk as much as it means mad, just like "pissed off".

Also, to some people, at least in the U.S., "pissed off" is profanity and those people probably would feel that that word should be censored on a forum like this that censors profanity.

doas777
April 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I think that's regional. In the U.S., pissed doesn't necessarily mean drunk as much as it means mad, just like "pissed off".

Also, to some people, at least in the U.S., "pissed off" is profanity and those people probably would feel that that word should be censored on a forum like this that censors profanity.

I've never heard an American use 'pissed' to refer to drunkeness. I read theregister all the time though, so I'm used it it. I also love that the most taboo words in America and commonplace in the UK, and viceversa (`bloody` is not a bad word in the us). I'd cite examples, but I'm pretty sure the auto-censorship would kick in. Obviously the restricted word list was made by an American.

Eisenwinter
April 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM
you've gotta be kidding. people really say that?
Believe it or not, but 16 year old UK girls on IRC, do.

forrestcupp
April 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I hate when people think it's always correct to say "and I". They say something such as, "Are you going to the park with Jerry and I?" That's incorrect! You wouldn't say, "Are you going to the park with I?", would you?

I also hate the word "flustrated". I know a guy who says that a lot, and I think he really believes that's the right word.

+1 for the "should of" thing.

I don't mind it when people say "ya know?", but when they say it 3 times in a sentence, it bothers me.

I hate it when people who professionally speak say "uh" or "um" a lot.

I don't like it when people leave the "L" sound off the end of words like "roll" or "hole". I was on a car mechanic forum once, and someone actually wrote that their window won't "rowe" up or down. I can handle someone pronouncing it that way, but it shouldn't be so bad that they think that's how it is spelled.

hardyn
April 16th, 2009, 05:01 PM
The two that drive me nuts:

"Alls ya gots ta do is..."

and

"I could care less"... it doesn't bug me when its said properly however, "I couldn't care less".

The_Doc_tor
April 16th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Here is a Phrase that I have heard alot from a few friends and computer Techs when trying to sort out some small issues I have had since installing Ubuntu

"Why dont you use a real operating system......... like Windows"
OR
"Cant you afford a real operating system............ Like Windows"

The best of all insults is yet to come and its more an insult to intelligence than anything really

"Microsoft deserve to be at the top of the ladder they work hard & put out a great product"

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM
More stuff...

"$thing sucks. <end of sentence>" You gonna elaborate on that or do I have to beat it out of you?
"lol" Say something useful or get the hell out of my IRC channel.
Personal favorite: "It's so $adjective it's not funny!" IT WASN'T FUNNY IN THE FIRST PLACE, DAMMIT!!
"That's what she said." You fail at humor.
"Holy $expletive!" What the balls is that supposed to mean? And "Holy cow!" is even worse.

Add: If anyone's offended by my profanity, sorry. This sort of thing gets me riled up.

Methuselah
April 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM
"Different than" and "quarter of 11 o'clock".
Well, hate is a strong word, but it often catches me off guard.
I'm used to "Different from" and "quarter to ..." in those contexts.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 08:45 PM
"Its Comcastic"

neofreud
April 16th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I hate when people say "I'm gonna shoot you an email."

I hate when people say "Lolz" (I have no idea what that means.. are you a bee or falling asleep? )

I hate when people say irregardless, i am not quite sure that is a word.

Thanks.. that felt good :)

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 08:46 PM

For me, "different from" sounds awkward, "different to" sounds better. But that could be just me.

connorh123
April 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I hate when a teacher gives instructions, and there's always that one person that says, "what??", in a really dumb way.

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Gaahh. I keep coming up with stuff.

I hate it when people say "we" to children when they really mean "you". It's so —ing stupid! Oh, and "<something>orz" really gets me going.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I hate internet slang as well..

Especially "wat?"

CJ Master
April 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM
More stuff...

"$thing sucks. <end of sentence>" You gonna elaborate on that or do I have to beat it out of you?
"lol" Say something useful or get the hell out of my IRC channel.
Personal favorite: "It's so $adjective it's not funny!" IT WASN'T FUNNY IN THE FIRST PLACE, DAMMIT!!
"That's what she said." You fail at humor.
"Holy $expletive!" What the balls is that supposed to mean? And "Holy cow!" is even worse.

Add: If anyone's offended by my profanity, sorry. This sort of thing gets me riled up.

You're really going to hate life. :P

Methuselah
April 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM
For me, "different from" sounds awkward, "different to" sounds better. But that could be just me.

Yeah, prepositional stuff is weird.
I remember once I was on an internship and a process was being explained that necessitated the frequent usage of the phrase "associated to".
And every time the lady said it a voice in my head was screaming "associated with!", "associated with!".

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
You're really going to hate life. :P
Yup. :|

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 09:15 PM

"Different to" sounds odd to my ears but it doesn't bother me. Some people insist upon "different from" because of the verb form, "differs from."

In defense of "Different than" -- it is indeed grammatically correct and much used in the U.S. The problem arises when people treat the conjunction as a preposition e.g. "I'm different than him." It should either be "I'm different than he is" or "I'm different from him." No one has a problem with following the definition of "different" with a conjunction e.g. "I'm not the same as he is."

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 09:21 PM
artic ( arctic )

at those over clocking forums everyone will say "i just picked up some artic silver" then everyone starts talking about how much better artic is compared ceramique, the discussion will never end from here.

chucky chuckaluck
April 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Believe it or not, but 16 year old UK girls on IRC, do.

irc? they may not be true 16 year old girls.

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 09:26 PM

I agree with "quarter to" in the context of telling time. I prefer to hear "quarter to or till... "Of" doesn't make any literal sense.

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 09:38 PM
"tuh" instead of "to"
"suck my <a certain C-word>" You want me to suck your chicken?
"...if it's all the same to you" Well it ISN'T!
Excessive usage of "meh"
Trying to do a Mr. T impression ("Shut up, fool!") and failing at it
"'s" instead of "it's" or "its"
Confusing "it's" and "its"; "you're" and "your"; "they're", "their", and "there"; etc.
"etc. etc." That's redundant!
Any form of baby-talk; if you get your kids started on that, they'll never completely break the habit
Deliberately shortening words in the most idiotic-sounding manner possible

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah, prepositional stuff is weird.
I remember once I was on an internship and a process was being explained that necessitated the frequent usage of the phrase "associated to".
And every time the lady said it a voice in my head was screaming "associated with!", "associated with!".

There's also "compared with" and "compared to." I associate something with but compare it to something else.

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 09:47 PM
"tho"
"rly"
"omg"
"thx" If you're going be grateful, at least do it properly.

Added:

"pwned" It's no longer funny.
Confusing "Torx" with "torque".
Pronouncing "nauseous" as "nosh-iss".
"Do" as a synonym for "have sex with".
"Sez" instead of "says".
Using Internet slang in real life.
Saying "cah" instead of "car".
"floats your boat"
"gets your goat"
"sry"
"drives me batty"

capnthommo
April 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Methuselah View Post

I agree with "quarter to" in the context of telling time. I prefer to hear "quarter to or till... "Of" doesn't make any literal sense.

I think "a quarter of..." is an old usage as in "do you know what the time is?" "why yes, it lacks but a quarter of eleven."
It's one of those peculiarities like the use of 'fall' for what the we call autumn. there are documentary references to the use of fall in this context in britain before the (re)discovery of america so it appears that it was in common use before columbus but changed in britain and remained the convention in america, rather than what is generally believed in the uk - that those strange people 'over there' had to be different (from).
cheers
nigel
;)

Peasantoid
April 16th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Messing with hyphens and -ed, for example "backuped" instead of "backed-up".
Ending sentences with "lol". That is not punctuation!

arashiko28
April 16th, 2009, 10:58 PM
How about when someone says "you can't compare windows and Linux" I get soo... well then just rant about 25 differences where Linux beats the cr·$% off winblow$.

I get that a lot since I deleted vista ;)

swoll1980
April 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I have a teacher that says "OK?" after every sentence. I feel like I'm watching South Park.

OutOfReach
April 16th, 2009, 11:03 PM
When people say "genius" as a type of insult, for example:
"That's supposed to go over there, genius!"
Drives me nuts and I just feel like punching the guy in the face.

sekinto
April 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM
"I'm going to go put on a pair of <article of clothing not worn in pairs>."

"...a pair of socks." <-- Makes sense.
"...a pair of pants." <-- WTF!
"...a pair of glasses." <--WTF!
"...a pair of gloves." <--Makes sense.
etc.

swoll1980
April 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM
"I'm going to go put on a pair of <article of clothing not worn in pairs>."

"...a pair of socks." <-- Makes sense.
"...a pair of pants." <-- WTF!
"...a pair of glasses." <--WTF!
"...a pair of gloves." <--Makes sense.
etc.

A pant(from websters: pant pant, n. A single leg of a pair of pants. See pants.) covers one leg. A pair of pants covers both legs.
A glass would cover one eye. A pair of glasses covers two eyes.
WTF! indeed

sekinto
April 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM
When people say "genius" as a type of insult, for example:
"That's supposed to go over there, genius!"
Drives me nuts and I just feel like punching the guy in the face.

It's called sarcasm (http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm), genius!"

A pant(from websters: pant pant, n. A single leg of a pair of pants. See pants.) covers one leg. A pair of pants covers both legs.
A glass would cover one eye. A pair of glasses covers to eyes.
WTF! indeed

I guess you're right. But it is weird to think of lens as glasses themselves and each pant as a separate entity, If the lenses are glasses what is the frame called? And pants are connected where the legs join. It is very confusing.

OutOfReach
April 16th, 2009, 11:14 PM
It's called sarcasm (http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm), genius!"
Yes I know what it is, but it is incredibly annoying.

looplu
April 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I hate it when people say sculpting dinosaurs out of bread isn't an art form ..

hardyn
April 16th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Ummm, Kay?

I have a teacher that says "OK?" after every sentence. I feel like I'm watching South Park.

swoll1980
April 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I guess you're right. But it is weird to think of lens as glasses themselves and each pant as a separate entity, If the lenses are glasses what is the frame called? And pants are connected where the legs join. It is very confusing.

The frames are called "frames" Pants are connected at the crotch, and seat by things called "seams"

hyperdude111
April 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I also have a teacher like that but mine ends every sentence with "If you like"

gletob
April 17th, 2009, 12:00 AM
The phrase:
"I'm a mac, and I'm a PC" and "I'm a PC" make me mad
A mac is a PC, A computer with linux is a PC, and a Windows system is a PC we're all freaking Personal Computers!!!

click4851
April 17th, 2009, 12:01 AM
"loss of revenue.." coming from the mouthes of politicians....is it really revenue? or is it really taxes? I'm sure there can be both, but it never broken down that way. Call me crazy but I just don't see tax collecting the same as revenue.

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Not really a word/phrase as such, but I really hate that tongue-clucking noise. You know, the one you make by pulling your tongue away from the roof of your mouth.

Giant Speck
April 17th, 2009, 12:16 AM

Just remember that drugs are bad, mmkay.

sekinto
April 17th, 2009, 12:44 AM
The phrase:
"I'm a mac, and I'm a PC" and "I'm a PC" make me mad
A mac is a PC, A computer with linux is a PC, and a Windows system is a PC we're all freaking Personal Computers!!!

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I'm a mammal. :P

CraigPaleo
April 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I'm a mammal. :P
So am I! Has "me too" been admitted already?

forrestcupp
April 17th, 2009, 01:30 PM
there are documentary references to the use of fall in this context in britain before the (re)discovery of america so it appears that it was in common use before columbus but changed in britain and remained the convention in america,
If Columbus never knew America was here, he didn't rediscover it; he discovered it. He just wasn't the first one.

I'm surprised no one has said "For all intensive purposes" yet. And "taking something for granite".

What about "no pun intended"? If someone says that, they usually did intend it.

albertjr
April 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I hate the phrase "pag chur oi" its very very annoying...grrrr

longtom
April 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I hate the phrase "pag chur oi" its very very annoying...grrrr

What does it mean?

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I'm surprised no one has said "For all intensive purposes" yet.
People actually say this?

hikaricore
April 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM
"for the simple fact"

^ used constantly and without concern for repetition... my ex did this often.... one of the reasons she's my ex.

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 10:05 PM
"for the simple fact"

^ used constantly and without concern for repetition... my ex did this often.... one of the reasons she's my ex.
Ooh, that's harsh.

More stuff to add: "*ever" being shortened to "*ev".

lisati
April 17th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Just thought of another:

Without any further adieu...
I know what they mean ("without any further ado") but it almost sounds like they mean "without any further goodbyes"

And yesterday I filled in an online survey about mobile telephone services. One group of questions told me to choose "up to" a certain number of items, but didn't let me choose no items when I didn't have a clue what to answer. Another group of questions had me choosing, for example, "between" two and three items. Now how do I click on two and a half check-boxes?

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Another group of questions had me choosing, for example, "between" two and three items. Now how do I click on two and a half check-boxes?
Yeah, I hate it when they do this. If $upper_limit - $lower_limit == 1, say $lower_limit OR $upper_limit.

I also hate it when they say "they" without actually specifying anyone... :roll:

Bender the Robot
April 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM
"I'm not that kind of girl!"

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Has anyone read Zippy? Don't you hate how everyone says "th'" instead of "the"?

It drives me nuts when people say "let me <do something>". If I didn't want to let them, I'd actively resist their attempts at doing it!

Saying "prolly" or "probally" instead of "probably".

"loo...ool" or "lolol...". Argh.

cdwillis
April 17th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Allow me to make a list:
same difference
I could care less
liberal
End of Story
Partner and/or Life Partner
people using "your" instead of "you're" and vice versa
people using "they're" instead of "their" and vice versa
people using "should of" instead of "should have"

the worst right now is probably, "That's what she said."

lisati
April 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM
people using "they're" instead of "their" and vice versa
Don't forget "there"

beercz
April 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I'm surprised no one has said "For all intensive purposes" yet. And "taking something for granite".
I thought it was "for all intents and purposes" and "taking something for granted", or do people actually say forrestcupp's versions?

Peasantoid
April 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
the worst right now is probably, "That's what she said."
Argh, you're absolutely right. It's universally despised by all intelligent people.

Giant Speck
April 17th, 2009, 11:15 PM
It's universally despised by all intelligent people.

That's what she said.

OH, SNAP!

swoll1980
April 17th, 2009, 11:25 PM
I thought it was "for all intents and purposes" and "taking something for granted", or do people actually say forrestcupp's versions?

Forrest is referring to the people that misspeak these phrases.

beercz
April 17th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Forrest is referring to the people that misspeak these phrases.
OK, fair enough.

pwnst*r
April 17th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Ginormous
Milk

"I could care less"

pwnst*r
April 17th, 2009, 11:44 PM

lulz

Peasantoid
April 18th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Milk
"Milk" is annoying to you? Why?? :???:

mobilediesel
April 18th, 2009, 12:15 AM
"Its Comcastic"

If Comcast wanted a made-up word to describe their service, they should have used "Craptacular" since it is more accurate.

pwnst*r
April 18th, 2009, 12:16 AM
"Milk" is annoying to you? Why?? :???:

no idea. i've always just hated it. milK

gah.

geekygirl
April 18th, 2009, 12:22 AM
hmmm lets see at the risk of not being 'cool' (pfft lol)

'sup' (why? have people forgetten how to say what's up? or is it too hard?!!)

and 'random' (as in 'that's just random', or 'just some random saying hi')

I thought random was something I used in C++, rand() lol

The funniest thing I heard was my lecturer at Uni saying he will be very sad (most people read this as 'lose marks'!) if the people in the class had to resort to writing language as if they were using MSN or SMS'ing someone on their phone.
He went on to state that whilst he might know that when someone puts 'U 2' into a sentence that they might be referring to 'you too' or 'you two' and not the band he would be very sad if people thought such grammar appropriate for University because they are too lazy to enter the whole word into the sentence...lol

Not good for writing programs especially!!

*sigh*

ben trovato
April 18th, 2009, 12:29 AM

mkendall
April 18th, 2009, 01:11 AM
"Do you work here?" I cannot begin to describe just how much that question pisses me off.

73ckn797
April 18th, 2009, 01:26 AM

There are times when you are trying to get something done so you "push" someone to get it done. If that fails you have to get their attention so you "shove" them. A very appropriate phrase given certain circumstances.

Bart_D
April 18th, 2009, 01:28 AM
what words/phrases do you hate?

1. "omg"
2. "like"
3. "you know"
4. "wassup"
5. "hmmmmm"

73ckn797
April 18th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I hate it when people start a sentence with "OK". I see it a lot in the forums.

73ckn797
April 18th, 2009, 01:40 AM
"Do you work here?" I cannot begin to describe just how much that question pisses me off.

I have that asked a lot. My work has me in 4 to 6 different businesses daily. When I see someone who is looking for help, before they ask "do you work here" I tell them I do not work here and any answers to their question(s) may be a problem.

lisati
April 18th, 2009, 01:44 AM
'sup' (why? have people forgetten how to say what's up? or is it too hard?!!)

"sup" makes me wonder what's to eat, as in an abbreviation of "supper"..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUP
Google also informs me that there's an email client of that name: http://sup.rubyforge.org/

EDIT: As to the question, "What's up?", is the answer "the sky"? Probably more baffling is the older greeting, "How do you do?"

swoll1980
April 18th, 2009, 01:49 AM
As to the question, "What's up?", is the answer "the sky"? Probably more baffling is the older greeting, "How do you do?"

I say "How ya doin'"

Giant Speck
April 18th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I say "How ya doin'"

How you doin'?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g285/fkowalczyk/joey.jpg

RiceMonster
April 18th, 2009, 02:06 AM
^^ Oh god, not friends.

EDIT: As to the question, "What's up?", is the answer "the sky"?

Personally I find it annoying when people think they're clever when they say "the sky" as an answer. Not that "What's up?" isn't sort of stupid though. I just kind of picked it up from those around me.

The greeting I can't stand is "Yo, what are you saying?".

cdwillis
April 18th, 2009, 02:07 AM
That's what she said.

OH, SNAP!

That's another one I cannot stand. I don't know how it took so long to become popular, but I wish it would crawl back in the hole it came from.

Peasantoid
April 18th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I wish it would crawl back in the hole it came from.
That's what SHE said! *zing*

swoll1980
April 18th, 2009, 02:12 AM
How you doin'?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g285/fkowalczyk/joey.jpg

A Cleveland "How ya doin" is different than a New York one though.

johnb820
April 18th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I hate when people add a "y" to the end of a noun to make it an adjective. That pasta sauce was really garlicy. Or, the bagel was too raisiny for me. Just because plenty of nouns can be made an adjective by adding a "y" doesn't mean every noun works that way!

mobilediesel
April 18th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Don't forget "there"

Here's a handy pie-chart (http://graphjam.com/2009/04/15/song-chart-memes-their-there/).

Chemical Imbalance
April 18th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Oh man.
"Everything happens for a reason."
And any and all references to God's will outside of a religious situation, eg. "God wanted it to be this way."

Words cannot describe how much I hate these phrases.

Yes, yes.....YES! I HATE THAT!

lisati
April 18th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Here's a handy pie-chart (http://graphjam.com/2009/04/15/song-chart-memes-their-there/).
Thank ewe, err beg pardon, thank you.

Not that "What's up?" isn't sort of stupid though.
:) I already know that I'm not as clever as some of my circle of acquaintances..... keep on smiling!

I say "How ya doin'"
I'm likely to say something like "Gidday" (from "good day")

forrestcupp
April 18th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Well, that's the reason I hate it when people wrongfully say those phrases.

I hate it when people say erf or berfday instead of earth and birthday.

"Give a shout out to someone."

Something is 10 foot high instead of 10 feet high.

longtom
April 18th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Something is 10 foot high instead of 10 feet high.

GUilty as charged...and I'm a nearly 7 foot giant...:P

gn2
April 18th, 2009, 11:59 AM
I'm a nearly 7 foot giant...:P

Must be murder buying shoes for that many feet?

mobilediesel
April 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Must be murder buying shoes for that many feet?

mkendall
April 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I have that asked a lot. My work has me in 4 to 6 different businesses daily. When I see someone who is looking for help, before they ask "do you work here" I tell them I do not work here and any answers to their question(s) may be a problem.

But if you are able to help them, does it matter if you work there or not? Would you not help them because you don't work there? And if you can't help them, is any more time and effort used by simply asking for the help instead of first asking if you work there? "Do you work here" is a waste of time and annoying as hell.

pwnst*r
April 18th, 2009, 12:27 PM

no you don't.

forrestcupp
April 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM

I don't work at Wal-mart, but I have one of their green Garden Center t-shirts that I bought at Goodwill. There have been a few times that I went shopping at Wal-mart not realizing right away that I was wearing that t-shirt. Fortunately, no one has asked me for help yet. I have had one of the employees ask me which Wal-mart I work at, though.

swoll1980
April 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I hate it when people pronounce milk as "melk"

wangsuda
April 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I live in Thailand, and some of the phrases here really get on my nerves:
1. "you, you, you!" An English bastardization of the Thai phrase "Khun."
2. "arai wa?" A rude way to ask a question. Basically means "what the f**k?

chucky chuckaluck
April 18th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I hate it when people pronounce milk as "melk"

argh! i hate you for reminding me! ('hate' might be a bit strong.)

swoll1980
April 18th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I don't work at Wal-mart, but I have one of their green Garden Center t-shirts that I bought at Goodwill. There have been a few times that I went shopping at Wal-mart not realizing right away that I was wearing that t-shirt. Fortunately, no one has asked me for help yet. I have had one of the employees ask me which Wal-mart I work at, though.

They only ask the people that aren't dressed in wal-mart cloths if they work here.

swoll1980
April 18th, 2009, 03:13 PM
argh! i hate you for reminding me! ('hate' might be a bit strong.)

There's an ad on tv for California cows where the guy says "melk", so I have to hear that crap everyday now.

cdwillis
April 20th, 2009, 06:30 AM

I was asked by old people several times if I worked at Wal-Mart. I guess I just looked like an employee even wearing street clothes. I did eventually work there for a while after that happened.

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I was asked by old people several times if I worked at Wal-Mart. I guess I just looked like an employee even wearing street clothes. I did eventually work there for a while after that happened.

We'll all end up working there some day. :(

surfed
April 20th, 2009, 06:45 AM
What the title says.

</rage>

Any phrase with the word hate in it.

Icehuck
April 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I am now starting to have the phrase, "touch base". I pretty much hate any type of business jargon.

swoll1980
April 20th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Any phrase with the word hate in it.

_________________Including ^ that one?

lisati
April 20th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Another one: "use", as in "How are use?" (meaning "How are you lot?")

Giant Speck
April 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Another one: "use", as in "How are use?" (meaning "How are you lot?")

How are yous?

It's very prominent in the northeastern United States. Though, I have never heard of "how are you lot?" The first thing that came to mind when you said "how are yous" is "how are you all," which brings us to the word "y'all" which is common in the southern United States.

Aearenda
April 20th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Several years ago my job required me to do a lot of public speaking on new technology. I was often introduced to the audience by someone from the company that had invited my company to speak. These people always wore business suits (I didn't), always made impossible promises about what the audience would be able to do with our latest products, and almost always used the phrase "And now, without further ado, I'll introduce..." before rabbiting on for another five to ten minutes about how great this is all going to be. Some of them pronounced "without further ado" as "without further adieu", as if the French word for 'goodbye' was some sort of magical incantation that would sell oodles of new products. I still cringe whenever I hear anyone say "without further ado" even though I moved on from that role 8 years ago.

The other one that annoys me is 'viola' when used in place of the French word 'voila'. I must have learnt too much French at school!

MaindotC
April 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM
"I've never heard of" or "no one I know does/says"

On howardforums this thread (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1515256) was started and the OP used the name "Cali" short for "California". Post #4 by efparri (http://www.howardforums.com/showpost.php?p=12459706&postcount=4) states:

"Cali is a city in Colombia. Why would you give the ZIP Code for a part of Los Angeles, California? I know of no one in the United States who calls "California" "Cali."

Yeah because HE doesn't know ANYONE that uses the term Cali in place of California so therefore NO ONE should be using it. Godforbid we question the authority of someone simply because "they know no one that uses that term".

mkendall
April 20th, 2009, 11:22 AM
"Work smarter, not harder."

I had an idiot of a boss who was told that at some conference and he decided to spread the message on to the staff (I worked at a help desk). Repeatedly. After hearing him say it one too many times, I asked him to please, let me know in what manner I am doing my job stupidly such that I am making it more difficult for me? How exactly do I wait at my desk for the phone to ring, ask the person on the other end of the line what manner of difficulty they seem to be having, and then correct said difficulties more intelligently so as to ease my workload? He didn't speak to me for over a month. Made the job a little less unpleasant.

ice60
April 22nd, 2009, 01:29 AM
these are the worst phrases -
"what not!", and "all that good stuff!".

i remember someone wrote a dissertation about the kind of people who use those phrases. it was found their IQs averaged around the imbecile and moron range on the Binet scale! even though i know those people struggle to get a workable sentence out i still find it hard to forgive them :| lol

kenweill
April 22nd, 2009, 02:27 AM
virus
spyware
trojan
BSOD
trial edition
expired

lisati
April 22nd, 2009, 02:29 AM
virus
spyware
trojan

MALWARE!!!!!!!!!!! (runs off in a panic)

"irregardless" - whatever that means! I suspect it's a portmanteau word from "irrespective" and "regardless"

pimz
April 22nd, 2009, 02:52 AM
The phrase "awesome" is terribly uncool

Didius Falco
April 22nd, 2009, 04:01 AM
Closure

Chemical Imbalance
April 22nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
The word "noob" always makes me cringe. It sounds so...immature and hideously insulting.

MaindotC
April 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
I really hate when people use singular adverb phrases to describe plural nouns:

"There's millions of dollars"
"There's seven skaters on the ice."

I hate "dreamed". I think people should use "dreamt" in place of "dreamed".

Old Marcus
April 23rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
There's a few I hate as well, mainly the 'word' 'innit' used as a form of punctuation by every chav and pregnant 13 year old up and down the country.

Though, to look at it from another angle, the English language wouldn't be nearly as diverse as it is if these words and phrases never came into existence. We'd all be talking like we're reading out of primary school books.

adamlau
April 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
GNU/Linux and GNU + Linux. We all know about the contributions of the GNU userland/toolchain, so why not just call it Linux to make it easy and be done with it?

chucky chuckaluck
April 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
I hate "dreamed". I think people should use "dreamt" in place of "dreamed".

how about creamt spinach?

pbpersson
April 23rd, 2009, 08:20 AM
I don't know if someone has mentioned this, but what really gets me is when I walk up to the checkout counter with an armful of stuff, I put it on the counter, they look at it and say, "Is that everything?"

I always want to say, "No, I am going to go and shop for another 30 minutes, this is just part one of what I am buying" :confused:

calrogman
April 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
No offense, but...

Shut up right there, or I will rage.

>=(

looplu
May 1st, 2009, 12:11 AM
I hate it when you ring up the state to ask about what all this swine/pig flu stuff is about and all you can hear is crackling on the line .....

Screwdriver0815
May 1st, 2009, 12:41 AM
as a non-native English speaker I don't like misspellings like "there" when someone means "their", "peace" when someone means "piece" and so on because its really difficult to get back into the sense of a sentence when you hit a word which doesn't fit in.

"so to say" - this drives me crazy because all the time I think people have derived it from the german meaning as it is the word-by-word translation for it.

"in a perfect world..." no we just don't live in a perfect world... face it!

"chasing" when someone means to apply some psychological pressure on a person or also searching or asking for something

"Also" I hate it because I use it very often too.

SteveHillier
May 1st, 2009, 01:03 AM
I haven't looked at all 27 pages but what about

Agendas

Should of, could of, would of and all variants

gymophett
May 1st, 2009, 01:21 AM

gymophett
May 1st, 2009, 01:25 AM
"Micro$oft" and "Winblows"

You just make yourself look stupid/immature when you use these words.

"Your move.", "Your ignorance is showing." and "Keep on trolling." (while debating)

They make you sound like a ****.

I hate that too! Or *******.

capnthommo
May 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM
here's another that just bugs the heck out of me
" * is the new black"
really? just go away...now.

cheers
nigel (is the new black)
see how ridiculous it sounds?

NightwishFan
May 1st, 2009, 05:03 PM
People in my area say things such as..

Warschingtion (war-shhh-ing-ten) instead of Washington.
Picksburgh (picks-burg) instead of Pittsburgh.

It seems so unrefined to me.

hanzomon4
May 1st, 2009, 06:42 PM
"Suits my needs"

*barf*

Peasantoid
May 2nd, 2009, 01:41 AM
"IMHO... / In my humble opinion..."
If you're saying it, it isn't humble!

lisati
May 2nd, 2009, 01:45 AM
People in my area say things such as..

Warschingtion (war-shhh-ing-ten) instead of Washington.
Picksburgh (picks-burg) instead of Pittsburgh.

It seems so unrefined to me.

Among the Samoan speakers I know, using something that sounds like "k" in place of "t" is quite common. Example: instead of saying "talofa" ("hello") they sometimes say something that sounds like "kalofa". I sometimes joke around with them about "sau ia" (rough translation: "come here") because it sounds a little bit like "sow ear".

TheNosh
May 31st, 2009, 03:12 AM
Me, I hate it when people compare things that are entirely identical — "push" and "shove", for instance. "'When push comes to shove'? Isn't that basically the same as saying 'when amble comes to mosey'?"

Who else despises "exactly the same"? I know "exactly" is for emphasis, but even so...

I once wrote an entire essay on a similar word usage. Can't remember what it was, though.

hmm... same idea?

i know that was from one of the first pages, but i just read it now and it bothered me.

CJ Master
May 31st, 2009, 03:43 AM
The phrase "awesome" is terribly uncool

The phrase "cool" is terribly unawesome

HappyFeet
May 31st, 2009, 04:31 AM
These may have been mentioned before, but "irregardless" (although technically a word, the usage is all wrong by most people. simply saying regardless instead is correct and makes sense) and "whole nother" come to mind.

Kopachris
May 31st, 2009, 07:17 AM
"Same difference", especially if there are only two things being compared, in which case there is only one difference.

pwnst*r
May 31st, 2009, 07:29 AM
"IMHO... / In my humble opinion..."
If you're saying it, it isn't humble!

IMHO = in my honest opinion

Giant Speck
May 31st, 2009, 08:00 AM
IMHO = in my honest opinion

It actually stands for both; however, I think it stood for "in my humble opinion" first.

Corelogik
May 31st, 2009, 08:10 AM
Pretentious, self-important grammer nazi's,...

Microsoft, Windows,...

Giant Speck
May 31st, 2009, 08:19 AM
grammer

grammar*

nazi's

http://web.utk.edu/%7Erhackett/apostrophe.GIF

WatchingThePain
May 31st, 2009, 09:48 AM
Let's see..

"Same difference" what does that mean?.
"Have a nice day" As if that's my choice.
"Happy new year" Just depresses me.
"You won't get there any faster if you rush" Yes I will.

Name change
May 31st, 2009, 02:41 PM
I really like this thread, even though English isn't my first language.

I'm always wonder why so many rappers / R'n'B / etc. singers are referring to their love ones as:
momma
(sugar)-daddy
baby
or when every one is called cuz, as short for cousin.

Then I have a Slovenian bastardization of eventually.
Eventually means in time something will bed done...
But Slovenian use of "Eventualno" means "if not" or "or" but I don't ever use it so I really don't know what those mean by it.
Something like:
We're going to the lake or stay at home if it will rain.
Which would look like this with "false-friend" translation of Eventuelno:
We're going to the lake or eventually stay at home if it will rain.

And then there's a completely Slovenian expression which deserves to be mentioned as it' just silly, at least for me:
You have potatoes! as in You have such luck!
Does any other language uses potatoes as synonym for luck?
It supposedly comes from army, as peeling potatoes instead of going to war.

gn2
May 31st, 2009, 02:48 PM
I know a joke about potatoes.

Why did the Arabs get the oil and the Irish got potatoes?

The Irish got to choose first.

WatchingThePain
May 31st, 2009, 03:08 PM
I know a joke about potatoes.

Why did the Arabs get the oil and the Irish got potatoes?

The Irish got to choose first.

I like that, being of Irish descent I am allowed to laugh.

Nebastion
May 31st, 2009, 03:19 PM
Gutted: If you lost something that was of value to you you would be "gutted"
Or even if you lost an argument ud also be gutted.

Xbehave
May 31st, 2009, 04:24 PM
"Same difference" what does that mean?.
GRRR that really gets me because its impossible for that phrase to mean anything without atleast 3 objects (to be useful phrase you normally need 4, A is to B as C is to D)

"You won't get there any faster if you rush" Yes I will.No you'll only get there faster if you move faster, rushing is often counterproductive.

WatchingThePain
May 31st, 2009, 04:29 PM
GRRR that really gets me because its impossible for that phrase to mean anything without atleast 3 objects (to be useful phrase you normally need 4, A is to B as C is to D)
No you'll only get there faster if you move faster, rushing is often counterproductive.

That's it, "Same Difference" is used too frequently in the wrong context or way.

Rushing and moving faster could possibly be the same thing?.

Anyway I guess that phrase comes from the Achilles and the Tortoise fable.

jomiolto
May 31st, 2009, 04:35 PM
"gotten" ](*,)

xuCGC002
May 31st, 2009, 05:32 PM
"That'd be like, oh my god, like, the best thing ever!"

"A whole 'nother..."

"Because that's the way god intended it!" (Out of context)

"Window$/Winblows/M$/Micro$oft"

"Epic"

Mister LinOx
May 31st, 2009, 06:44 PM

Anyway, mine are "gutted", and "I could care less", amongst other things.

Have you ever sat down and thought about the saying "I could care less"? Wouldn't it be more suitable for what people use the saying for if it was "I couldn't care less"? Saying that you are able to care less states that there are other things to care less about. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

Ptero-4
June 2nd, 2009, 10:45 PM

Politician's do that intentionally. That's their way of confusing the population, and leaving without promising anything at all.

Which roughly means. I hate you "Linux FREAK'O". GO **** OFF. (At my college most of the female population is like that).

We'll all end up working there some day. :(

Not everyone. There are countries in central america that doesn't have a wallmart.

virus
spyware
trojan
BSOD
trial edition
expired

You missed "intruders" below "virus" and "adware" below "trojan".

"That'd be like, oh my god, like, the best thing ever!"

"A whole 'nother..."

"Because that's the way god intended it!" (Out of context)

"Window$/Winblows/M$/Micro$oft"

"Epic"

I use M$ and ******* quite unconsciously.

lisati
August 8th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I have been aware recently of more posts saying something like "I have been using xyz since a month." This doesn't sit comfrotably in my e-ears: I'm more used to hearing "since" relating something back to an event, not relating it to a time period, e.g. "I have been using xyz since installing it a month ago" (Alternative way of saying this: "I have been using xyz for a month")

stuart.reinke
August 8th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I hate it when someone uses text message short hand outside of a text message. Especially when spoken. If you don't know the answer to my question please don't reply by saying IDK etc...

gn2
August 9th, 2009, 01:46 AM
comfrotably

You seem to have rubbed up against an interesting little typo there....

ratcheer
August 9th, 2009, 02:18 AM
"At the end of the day...." Tim

admiralspark
August 9th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I hate it when someone uses text message short hand outside of a text message. Especially when spoken. If you don't know the answer to my question please don't reply by saying IDK etc...

I totally agree with you. That, and some people use words such as 'like' seemingly in every single sentence. Also, people of my generation are giving new definitions to words that otherwise have no connection to the subject material, i.e. using the word 'word' to show agreement. Finally, anyone who posts in extreme text message shorthand or Leet on a forum, or uses ALL CAPS, drives me insane.

Mister LinOx
August 9th, 2009, 04:08 AM
When people say 'I could care less'. That just means that they do care, even if it is just a minuscule amount. The correct saying should be "I couldn't care less." which would mean that you couldn't possibly care any less than you do at that time.

EDIT: Crap, I forgot I posted in this thread already a while back. Haha.

DownTown22
August 9th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Guesstimate - use either guess or estimate.
Prosumer (the professional consumer) - another stupid marketing word.

When people type coz instead of cause instead of because.

When people type use M$ and *******.

When people use text messaging "words" in speech and on these forums.

j.bell730
August 9th, 2009, 04:45 AM

This, the word 'guesstimate' and ... for some reason the word 'trivial'.