PDA

View Full Version : Stop the microsoft bashing!!!!!!!!!

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Okay, I dislike miscrosoft's products as much as the next linux user, but still, just because we're all board here, doesn't mean we need to make fun of something we're too smart to use. Sure, it's boring, but mindless MS bashing doesn't make it any better. Also it's going to throw a lot a new users here off, it's going to make them walk away. Think about it, some guy has just been introduced to ubuntu, he comes in here and sees all of these topics about how terrable microsoft is when this user has been using windows all his life, how would that effect his outlook..... We're too smart to use microsoft, but it doesn't mean we need to keep this up! Also if we could, just stop pulseaudio and mono bashing, could we? Who agrees.

Svensk023
April 16th, 2009, 12:19 AM
To be honest with you, I first got interested in usuing Ubuntu because of some Windows Vista bashing I saw in a magazine at a bookstore. Once that sparked my interest i kept reading to find a section that recommended Ubuntu as a sound alternative.

I agree that relentless and fan-boyish Microsoft bashing can get out of hand, but it is also necessary to point out where Microsoft severely comes short where they shouldn't so that many noobies to Linux will see the light in all corners.

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 12:23 AM
True, but we shouldn't stoop to their levels, we know better! We're linux users!

blastus
April 16th, 2009, 12:29 AM
This is getting so old. Who cares?

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
The new ubuntu user who switched from windows and wants a nice non microsoft-bashing community.

kernelhaxor
April 16th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Totally agree!
Threads like this one keep coming up once in a while whenver somebody gets tired of all the bashing .. But this being a big Linux community board with all kinds of people, I guess the bashing will never stop .. I have accepted that and live with it .. I hope this thread at least minimizes all that mindless bashing

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 12:38 AM
True, thats what annoys me. Why don't we all just show that we're more mature than the windows users, and stop bashing, it's just showing how we act younger than we are, no matter what type of sophisticated language used in a conversation, with all the bashing, it's still immature! My guess that it's partly our fault too we get less people using linux too. But soon, weather the average person holding the new palm pre knows it or not, they'll be using linux. No explanation point for you.

edwardTheGreat
April 16th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Why don't we all just show that we're more mature than the windows users

WTF? Bit of a silly comment really... Let it go I reckon. :roll: Maturity has nothing to do with your OS.

+1

original_jamingrit
April 16th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I'm up for putting an end to the mindless sort of MS bashing. But there's still a substantial amount of bashing that microsoft deserves. Security concerns, anti-competitive measures they have taken in the past, DRM, bugs, the very nature of their closed source development and distribution, and dozens of other subjects which are definitely bash-worthy.

I'm not saying FLOSS OSes are perfect, but I would prefer to see them become the rule rather than the exception.

cariboo
April 16th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I think MS bashing will continue as long as there are new users installing Linux. I've seen this for as long as I've been using Linux (about 11 years). It just never stops, I ignore it now as there doesn't seem a way to stop it. For some reason new Linux users seem to think it is "31337" to bash Micrsoft.

Jim

Ticketoride
April 16th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Sure, it's boring, but mindless MS bashing doesn't make it any better.
I'd say labeling it "Boring" is also a Bash, although far more subtle, and completely false on Top of that.

I'm not faintest Bit interested in these Us vs. Them Swipe Jobs. Just because I like Windows doesn't mean I don't like Linux. I prefer both, better than either.

we're too smart to use.
Another little Jab at MS and their Products. And I don't agree with that either. Smart is the User who does something with a few Clicks, than one who spends half his Life learning Linux Sudo-Language because OS Security Paranoias have gone off the deep end. But then that's my Opinion. I am still here, so I have nothing to complain about.

We're too smart to use microsoft
Still yet another elbow ... and also untrue in my Book. MS Windows is a far superior System to Linux, in just about every facet. Every single Application within Linux is vastly inferior to comparables in Windows. But that's natural, since Companies which sell their Software, regardless of OS, have a higher Bar to ascent to, whereas Linux Apps are mostly free.

By the Way, I have had Way more Trouble with Linux than I ever had with Windows. I don't compare, except when something takes me a Hour in Linux that can be done in Windows in a Minute, when 1,000 of Hours of Linux Learning Curve is simply not an Option.

Even though I would never trade MS for Linux, that being said, I installed Ubuntu on my Dad's Computer, because that is the correct OS for his use. Same with my Kid playing Games, as that Machine will require far less of my Attention than a Windows Machine would. But me, I have been running Windows as Administrator for Years, have had no Break-ins, Virus', or any other Compromises in Years. The Difference is not so much the OS, but my knowledge of the OS and how to Steel-Proof it.

Most Work I do can either not currently be done on Linux or would take Way too long. Further I don't like it for Production Work. But that's my Preference.

I create Reports using Macros & AutoText in Minutes under MS Office, OpenOffice does not have these Functions to that Extent, and comparing them is a Waste of Time. OpenOffice is a very good and simple Office App, very stable, and most excellent for your everyday User and costs you nothing. There is that Advantage. MS Office has other Advantages and Plus-Points which cannot be touched by Any Linux Programs, considering Time is often a crucial Factor.

No need to bash the Vendor or the OS, but bashing its shortcomings, esp. when objective, I can't fault anyone.

If I feel something is Crap in Linux, I will say its crap in Linux, and the same goes for MAC, Windows and what have you not.

Ozor Mox
April 16th, 2009, 12:52 AM

+10

I would go as far as to say the anti-Microsoft bashing threads are as annoying as the Microsoft bashing threads. The majority of this community don't bash, and plenty use Windows as well as Ubuntu. The new guys who bash will soon get the idea.

I also find it somewhat ironic that there are elements of Microsoft bashing in the OP's own posts.

RiceMonster
April 16th, 2009, 12:54 AM
People making threads like this is getting just as annoying as the microsoft bashing itself. Enough of people trying to make themselves look like moral saviours or something.

.Maleficus.
April 16th, 2009, 12:59 AM
but it is also necessary to point out where Microsoft severely comes short
Not every damn week though. I swear, there is a new "Microsoft sucks" thread in the Cafe once or twice a week.

To be honest, I think the Microsoft bashing is just people trying to look "cool" in front of other Linux users. People see one respected member of a community do it and think it's all the rage. It's not. This email explains Linux zealotry and the related Microsoft hate quite well if you ask me. (http://mail.nl.linux.org/humorix/1999-11/msg00008.html) Linux is not perfect. Windows is not perfect. OS X is not perfect. We get it. Now, let's end the incessant polling and "tell us what makes you rage about M$" threads.

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I'd say labeling it "Boring" is also a Bash, although far more subtle, and completely false on Top of that.

I meant that this subforum is getting boring, not windows.

Noise...
April 16th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I agree that just mindless "lololol M$ sucks so badz!" posts are just pointless and waste everyone's time.

However, at the same time, there are many users who are switching from Windows or Microsoft products because of their poor quality, an issue with them, or a problem with Microsoft in general.

Personally, after experiencing Vista and the Zune, I'm ready to ditch Microsoft products 100%. Vista is a bloated, annoying OS, and the Zune is garbage. I can't stand Microsoft, and I'll state that openly. Mindless bashing is one thing, but when it's deserved, I don't see the issue.

The reason that new Linux users usually bash MS more, myself included, is because after switching to a Linux distro, they really realize just how bad Windows is.

My dislike of Microsoft comes from;

-Glitches with XP. Crashes, BSOD's, and freezing issues. Nothing major, but annoying none the less.

-Vista. No OS should be taking 1GB+ in RAM and 15% of the processing power of a core 2 duo@ 2.0GHz just to run idle. Incompatibility with various things, as well as "veiled" attempts to monitor what you do on your computer and your personal information.

-The Zune. I shelled out $250 for a 30GB when these came out. Within three months, the battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than an hour, the display wouldn't turn off, and it began randomly formatting itself. I called Microsoft's Zune support line, and they wanted my full name (including middle name), phone number, address, and two credit cards just to TALK to me. When I refused, the MS employee replied "Well, that's too bad, because I'm not going to do anything for you if you refuse to give Microsoft your information. That's what you get if you want to be Mr. Private about everything." He then proceeded to hang up on me.

Microsoft has screwed over a lot of people, and if they want to vent once they see that the grass really is greener on the Linux side, I say let them! As long as their claims aren't unfounded, I don't see an issue.

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I agree that just mindless "lololol M$ sucks so badz!" posts are just pointless and waste everyone's time.

However, at the same time, there are many users who are switching from Windows or Microsoft products because of their poor quality, an issue with them, or a problem with Microsoft in general.

Personally, after experiencing Vista and the Zune, I'm ready to ditch Microsoft products 100%. Vista is a bloated, annoying OS, and the Zune is garbage. I can't stand Microsoft, and I'll state that openly. Mindless bashing is one thing, but when it's deserved, I don't see the issue.

The reason that new Linux users usually bash MS more, myself included, is because after switching to a Linux distro, they really realize just how bad Windows is.

My dislike of Microsoft comes from;

-Glitches with XP. Crashes, BSOD's, and freezing issues. Nothing major, but annoying none the less.

-Vista. No OS should be taking 1GB+ in RAM and 15% of the processing power of a core 2 duo@ 2.0GHz just to run idle. Incompatibility with various things, as well as "veiled" attempts to monitor what you do on your computer and your personal information.

-The Zune. I shelled out $250 for a 30GB when these came out. Within three months, the battery wouldn't hold a charge for more than an hour, the display wouldn't turn off, and it began randomly formatting itself. I called Microsoft's Zune support line, and they wanted my full name (including middle name), phone number, address, and two credit cards just to TALK to me. When I refused, the MS employee replied "Well, that's too bad, because I'm not going to do anything for you if you refuse to give Microsoft your information. That's what you get if you want to be Mr. Private about everything." He then proceeded to hang up on me.

Microsoft has screwed over a lot of people, and if they want to vent once they see that the grass really is greener on the Linux side, I say let them! As long as their claims aren't unfounded, I don't see an issue.

Change of question, stop the microsoft bashing that isn't directly related to an issue.

Kamex
April 16th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I think there is an appropriate time to bash Microsoft just as there is to bash Linux and Ubuntu, but never when it isn't true. That's the thing that really bothers me - it's when people make exaggerations and outright lies concerning these products. I see it at all the time, both on the Internet and in person. Someone will make some statement about how Windows BSoDs every 10 minutes, how every Windows machine has viruses on it, or how Wine can run virtually any Windows app just as well or even better than Windows can. Then I'm left sitting there wondering if I should say something and start an argument with the person, or just keep my mouth shut and let other people hear this crap and believe it. It's sort of depressing because it makes me feel like I'm the only sane one. The fanboys tend to speak in a louder manor than the reasonable Linux users - it generates an impression that they're all like that.

I think it's worth mentioning that Vista is such a failure at least partially because people had higher expectations for it than what was actually delivered. Many referred to it as "Windows Shorthorn" when it was in development because Microsoft kept removing promised components. Linux users are risking doing the same thing and alienating potential users by spreading lies.

days_of_ruin
April 16th, 2009, 02:16 AM
What really annoys me is when someone hijacks a non-ms-bashing thread
because someone commits the heinous crime of using a $ instead of an s.

ticopelp
April 16th, 2009, 02:29 AM
I disagree with the notion of being "too smart" to use Microsoft products -- that strikes me as elitist and, IMO, a rather prejudiced perspective. People should use the tools that work for them. If someone likes Microsoft and can use their products effectively, who am I to call them stupid?

As for bashing -- I don't go out of my way to rag on Microsoft, but my dislike of their products is directly responsible for leading me to Ubuntu, and I'm not going to hide the fact.

CJ Master
April 16th, 2009, 02:35 AM
My gosh! WHEN WILL IT EVER END!!

I'm so sick of these topics. Don't you realise that you are bashing people that are bashing Windows? What makes this topic so much more important or better then the average Windows bashing topics? It seems to me that there's way more anti-bashing bashers then there are Windows ones.

/rant

rucadulu
April 16th, 2009, 02:37 AM
I will stop bashing Microsoft if you can answer one question.

In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates ?

Giant Speck
April 16th, 2009, 02:39 AM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/SpecKtacle/128733402400374285.jpg?t=1239845948

KiwiNZ
April 16th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I think this topic has been dealt with enough

There is many threads similar.

Horses for courses and each to their own.

Sleep little thread ....sleep

pbpersson
April 16th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Who is Microsoft and what business are they in? ;)