PDA

View Full Version : synaptic

davo11
April 15th, 2009, 11:42 PM
just wondering, does anyone find it annoying how only one synaptic process can run at a time? this is one of my only issues with ubuntu even though it is not vital.
is there a way to get >1 process working at a time?
and if not will a way be created in a later release?

Skripka
April 15th, 2009, 11:43 PM
just wondering, does anyone find it annoying how only one synaptic process can run at a time? this is one of my only issues with ubuntu even though it is not vital.
is there a way to get >1 process working at a time?
and if not will a way be created in a later release?

What would be the point in running more than one?

swoll1980
April 15th, 2009, 11:50 PM

Yeah that's a mystery for me to too. Some people complain for the sake of it I think. Apt locks when you run synaptic. If you were able to run 2 at a time it could become corrupted.

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Its more of an issue with apt, then synaptic.

davo11
April 16th, 2009, 12:17 AM
well no, what i'm getting at, is wanting to eg - run updates and get new apps. it's not a big thing just would be useful

Ozor Mox
April 16th, 2009, 12:19 AM
If apt let you do that the packages would probably get pretty messed up. Surely it is just easier to let one action complete before you run the next?

Skripka
April 16th, 2009, 12:21 AM
well no, what i'm getting at, is wanting to eg - run updates and get new apps. it's not a big thing just would be useful

With dependencies as they are-it is a bad idea...also, unless you're paying lots of $$$$ for bandwidth, odds are you'll max out your internet connection with your 1st insance of Synaptic...so you won't gain anything with a second instance.

On Arch, there's a manner of bypassing the lock on Pacman, and permitting more simultaneous instances....don't know if there is a way for Apt though.

spupy
April 16th, 2009, 01:57 AM

An easy way to mess up your packages database. Or to get conflicts while installing packages. Or else.

Strange thing is, Gentoo's package manager - portage, allows simultaneous installations. Although I've never tried it.

skymera
April 16th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I like the fact it locks.
You know EXACTLY what apt is doing.

It's similar to Windows, you can;t run 2 Windows installer packages at the same time.

FuturePilot
April 16th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Like others have said, I'm not sure what the point would be of running 2 instances of the package manager. But it's not a problem feature of just Synaptic. It works this way with any package manager whether it be APT, YUM, Zypper etc. Even on Windows you can't install 2 things at once that use the same installer.

dragos240
April 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM
It never really bugged me, I always felt content to wait, although yeah, it would be annoying if I was installing many programs.

CraigPaleo
April 16th, 2009, 02:12 AM
It doesn't really bother me. I just check off everything I need and do it all in one session.