PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgraded to 9.04 problems with flash player

redb
April 15th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Flash has stopped working in both firefox and Opera. Cannot utube or hulu. I have been searching for ways to solve this issue for a couple of days and my patience is wearing thin. Is anyone else having problems? Is there a work around?

spiderbatdad
April 15th, 2009, 11:48 PM
remove flashplugin-nonfree install adobe-flashplugin via synaptic package manager.

redb
April 16th, 2009, 02:41 AM
I tried to uninstall the non-free...

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Package flashplugin-nonfree is not installed, so not removed

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 96 not upgraded.

Before this I had installed adobe-flashplugin via synaptic package manager. Still does not work. I have tried to install the .deb package from adobe and when that did not work I tried to install it .tar. No luck. This is my wifes laptop and it seems to have a hex on it.

[edit] I just installed epiphany web browser and still get the blank screen on hulu and youtube.
I don't know what the problem is, I have no problems on my hp with x600 graphics card (besides the buggy accelerated graphics), but I have had hangups on this nvidia nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200]

gus.ke
April 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I had the same problem, so I deleted flash player and tried to install adobe's, but there doesn't seem to be a 64-bit version.

redb
April 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I solved the problem by downloading the image and making a clean install. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks.

brianpatrick
April 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Hi,
spiderbatdad said to:
remove flashplugin-nonfree install adobe-flashplugin via synaptic package manager.
There is no adobe-flashplugin in the default Synaptec repos. Which repo did you find it in?

The closest thing I could find is flashplugin-installer. It had no sound. Mp3s play with Rythmbox and MPG files play fine with VLC. Neither youtube nor bbc flash video had any sound.

Then, I installed the 64 bit flash player, libflashplayer-10.0.22.87.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz from Adobe. Still no sound.

Based on how I hacked it into Suse 11.1, I installed the libflashplayer.so module in:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9543400 2009-04-18 16:08 /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9543400 2009-04-18 17:33 /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9543400 2009-04-18 16:07 /usr/lib/firefox/libflashplayer.so

I think it might be a problem between oss and alsa sound settings. How do you tell Firefox to use one or the other. VLC had a menu option to select one or the other. They just happened to work with OSS.

Thank you,
BrianP

Vjetar
April 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Similar problems here, flash works in FFox but youtube comes with sound and no video in Opera.

First I tried to purge flashplugin-nonfree an reinstall flashplugin-installer. No luck.

Then i did :
sudo cp /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/opera/plugins/

restart Opera and youtube works fine.

MuddBuddha
April 21st, 2009, 12:49 AM
I had the same problem and tried several forum fixes to no avail. lastly, I just installed the other two flash(.flv) handlers from Add/Remove and flash videos began working.

Worth a shot.

jdorenbush
April 24th, 2009, 01:48 AM

I too am having problems.

I don't even see the 'adobe-flashplugin' in Synaptic.

When Firefox prompts that there is missing plugins I try to run the install of Adobe Flash Player, but it says 'flashplugin-nonfree' is already installed. After checking Synaptic, I can see that it is not installed.

I've uninstalled everything Flash-related to the best of my knowledge and tried to reinstall.. still no luck.

UPDATE: I just tried installing 'swfdec' and using that. That installed just fine, however it isn't work out so great. For example, in Google Analytics the flash content just continues to try and load.

Vjetar
April 24th, 2009, 01:59 AM
@jdorenbush do you see flashplugin-installer installed in synaptic ?

infamousnation
April 24th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Looks like there is no more adobe-flashpugin which is a real shame becasue it was the best solution for playing flash videos on my desktop. I never had any problems with it like I had with all the other packages I tried. I hate to install the .deb off adobe's web site because I prefer to only install things through repos but I may have to try that. Getting 9.04 working has been more difficult that past releases, at least for me.

edit
I installed the .deb from adobe's web site and it seems to be working perfect. I can confirm flashplugin-installer did not work for me.

jdorenbush
April 24th, 2009, 04:38 AM
@jdorenbush do you see flashplugin-installer installed in synaptic ?

Nope :(

miig
April 24th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I had the same issue after a dist upgrade ( 8.10 -> 9.04)
And Firefox was telling me that the flash player wasn't installed, where synaptic was telling the opposite.

What worked for me was :

uninstalling flashplugin

sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installer

then reinstalling it

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer

Vjetar
April 24th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Nope :(

So install it. It will download adobe flash plugin from Adobe site.

@infamousnation: flashplugin-installer wil download and install flash plugin from Adobe site. I works fine in Firefox, but Opera need tweak i mentioned before.

kramthegram
April 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I'm reporting the same problem. No flash in 9.04 on a core 2 duo. Can't install anything from adobe as it's 32 bit and I've tried all the package suggestions so far. Any additional help would be appreciated, thanks.

nealaustin
April 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM
And Firefox was telling me that the flash player wasn't installed, where synaptic was telling the opposite.

What worked for me was :

uninstalling flashplugin

then reinstalling it

I also had the same problem but had tried in my frustration to install the ubuntu version. What fixed mine was: the above mentioned [code]uninsta... then I went into the synaptic package manager andtook out the Ubuntu version with it's extra pack. Rebooted and then the above [code]insta... . After a new Reboot it works perfectly. I find that one of the best tests for functionality is rtl-now.rtl.de . If Flash works there it will work anywhere. :D

nealaustin
April 24th, 2009, 04:59 PM
One other thing. I had the packaged file from Adobe sitting on my desktop. I'm not sure if Apt had used it or not. The package name is: libflashplayer-10.0.22.87.linux-x86_64.so.tar.gz It appears to be an Alpha version.

jdorenbush
April 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM

What worked for me was :

uninstalling flashplugin

then reinstalling it

I did that. Install went smoothly. Video seems to be playing fine.

Thanks.

Ozdemon
April 25th, 2009, 06:37 AM

What worked for me was :

uninstalling flashplugin

then reinstalling it

Well, I don't understand how, but this instantly solved my problem of no video in Firefox.

_sleeper
April 25th, 2009, 11:13 AM
i removed flushplugin-nonfree and installed adobe-flashplugin and it worked instantly.

Bill_in_SD
April 25th, 2009, 06:40 PM
It seems like if you have any flash player installed before the upgrade then when adobe-flash is installed things like hulu.com stop working.

I uninstalled all flash players except adobe and it worked. If you are using synaptic, make sure you check to see if gnash is intalled - it did not show up when my search string was 'flash'.

So, my last step was simply removing gnash and now everything works in Firefox.

Good luck-

jdorenbush
April 26th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Strange... now Flash is messed up again. All I get is a white box where the Flash content should be.

neubert500
April 26th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Removing GNASH fixed my firefox problem also. THANKS!:P

freifliege
April 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
removing swfdec-mozilla and installing the player from the adobe website solved the problem for me.

mevdschee
April 29th, 2009, 12:45 PM
This worked for me:

sudo dpkg --purge flashplugin-nonfree
sudo dpkg --purge flashplugin-installer

manifoldronin
May 2nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
sudo cp /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/opera/plugins/

restart Opera and youtube works fine.

Thanks. That worked for me, too, with a minor difference:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/opera/plugins/