PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Monitor resolution

mjt_colo
April 15th, 2009, 09:30 PM
This may sound like a simple problem to you, but to me it is way beyond my Linux/Ubuntu skills.

I had an older HP desktop in the garage and a Sony Multiscan100ES monitor so I installed Desktop Ubuntu 8.10 thinking it would all just work. Well mostly, except the highest resolution is only 800x600 and when I open a terminal window it just opens a blank white rectangle that I can't see anything in when I type. I can type in xterm and get a smaller window that I can see. But the monitor is not working well.

The xorg.conf file basically just a shell. No actual info in it where I would expect to see a file that is like the one on my laptop running 8.10.

Help would be appreciated!!!!

Pasdar
April 15th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Did you get a notification about installing proprietary drivers? Or did you install any drivers at all?

Click on System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, if you see anything click on the latest and install.

What videocard do you have?

mjt_colo
April 15th, 2009, 09:52 PM
no there are no drivers in that location and it didn't install any. I think it is an intel videocard

Mike

Pasdar
April 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Type lspci in terminal, that should tell us what video card you have.

mjt_colo
April 15th, 2009, 10:11 PM
lspci says:
Intel 82810E DC-133.

Pasdar
April 15th, 2009, 10:13 PM
press CNTRL + ALT + F1, you will go into terminal if you do that, and then type:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

mjt_colo
April 15th, 2009, 10:29 PM
well the terminal window is just white space, so that doesn't work. But xterm does and when I entered that command and then logged out and back on, there was no change..... sadly

Pasdar
April 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Not the terminal window, write down the command that I wrote. when you press CTRL, ALT, F1 it leaves the graphical environment and enters a black terminal environment. It'll ask you for your login and password, enter it... then enter the command.reboot after that.

mjt_colo
April 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Actually it didn't give me a terminal window or ask me for my username or password. It just blanked the screen for a few seconds and then showed me what was there before. That is why I put your previous command in the xterm window and rebooted after that.

Pasdar
April 16th, 2009, 07:53 AM
You have a very strange problem, how about you disable the visual effects... if you've enabled it:
System->Preferences->Appearance, "Visual Effects" tabs, and select "none"

mjt_colo
April 17th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I did get the monitor to work ok, but still cannot get the resolution beyond 800x600. I would love to run in 1024x768 mode. The monitor is a Sony multiscan100ES.

thanks for your help