PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the Matrix films

Bodsda
April 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I watched the Matrix trilogy again the other day, just for a laugh, and I noticed something that doesn't add up, I wonder if im missing something obvious so I invite people to tell me whats going on and also post any other things about the trilogy that don't add up, so here goes:

In the first film, there are three agents, lets call these guys agents v1.0, and in the second film there are more agents (note Agent Smith from the second film is not included in this category) lets call these guys Agents v2.0.

Now, in the first film, agents are depicted as the deadliest things in the matrix, no one except the chosen one can stop them. This is shown later in the film when Morpheus takes a royal butt whooping from Agent Smith. So, we know that no one in the matrix can beat the Agents (because no one except the agents can beat Morpheus). That is of course until Neo dies, and returns as 'The One' and destroys Agent Smith and allows the other v1.0's to escape.

In the second film, Neo is almost immediately confronted with more agents, which although he easily defeats, he notes them as being 'upgrades' (v2.0's). Now, in all of the fight scenes between agents and Neo in the second film, although Neo always wins, the agents are just as fast as him and occasionally one of them gets a punch in.

So, the question is, if the agents are as fast and strong as Neo (You can see how quick he is at the end of film 1 when he kills Agent Smith) how the hell can Morpheus even attempt to stand up against a v2.0 agent on top of that lorry!!! He should have been obliterated, but instead he manages not only to survive, but to fight back, land punches and win! What the hell is going on there!!!???

Hehe, anyone wanna tell me if im missing something?

Bodsda

justsomedude
April 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Yes. The stuff you think about is irrelevant to scriptwriters.

Het Irv
April 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
You're not supposed to see that kind of stuff. Its an American Action Film, and all Americans have ADD.

Yes, I am an American, and this is not for a flame war... its just something I have noticed.

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Spoiler!! :-)

original_jamingrit
April 15th, 2009, 08:48 PM
how the hell can Morpheus even attempt to stand up against a v2.0 agent on top of that lorry!!! He should have been obliterated, but instead he manages not only to survive, but to fight back, land punches and win! What the hell is going on there!!!???

Maybe version 2.0 was still in Beta.

notwen
April 15th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Did Morpheus eat a burrito prior to the fight? Maybe that was it.

Simian Man
April 15th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Wait...after watching the Matrix trilogy this was the only problem you have with it??

How about the fact that, under the second law of thermodynamics, you can't get more energy out of a machine then you put in. So the whole concept of using Humans to harvest energy is flawed.

Godly
April 15th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Morpheus was upgraded, and Neo is the upgrade. The agents can't keep up.

tjandracom
April 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM

wait for the version 3.0 LTS.

forrestcupp
April 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM

Bodsda

The thing you're forgetting is that Neo isn't really "The One". You need to put all 3 together. There isn't really a "The One" that is destined to save the world. Neo ends up saving the world, but not because he is the all powerful "One".

So, it's all psychological. Early on, Morpheus was convinced that Neo was "The One" and that he wasn't as powerful as Neo, when in fact that wasn't the case. The whole Matrix is psychological because it isn't reality. So in reality, Morpheus could do just as much in the Matrix as Neo could; he just didn't know it.

swoll1980
April 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Wait...after watching the Matrix trilogy this was the only problem you have with it??

How about the fact that, under the second law of thermodynamics, you can't get more energy out of a machine then you put in. So the whole concept of using Humans to harvest energy is flawed.

Yeah it would be more efficient to use what ever they were feeding the humans for fuel.

zekopeko
April 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Yeah it would be more efficient to use what ever they were feeding the humans for fuel.

they were feeding them other humans. mmmmmm.... pseudo-cannibalism..yummy :D

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM

How did they do that anyway? Feed them beens and collect methane from the humans?
I'm going to have to watch these now -- even though it's been spoiled. :(

I'm steering clear of that Star Trek thread after this!

Joeb454
April 15th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Morpheus doesn't win, the 2 agents drive the lorries head on into each other, and Neo catches Morpheus and the Key Maker guy.

Thus, Morpheus merely survived that battle, he didn't win it.

zekopeko
April 15th, 2009, 09:53 PM
How did they do that anyway? Feed them beens and collect methane from the humans?
I'm going to have to watch these now -- even though it's been spoiled. :(

in the first morpheus says to neo that they use the energy from the human body + an advanced form of fusion to produce the energy.

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM
they were feeding them other humans. mmmmmm.... pseudo-cannibalism..yummy :D

The population would have consumed itself into extinction. Talk about theatrical justice!

zekopeko
April 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Morpheus doesn't win, the 2 agents drive the lorries head on into each other, and Neo catches Morpheus and the Key Maker guy.

Thus, Morpheus merely survived that battle, he didn't win it.

not to mention that morpheus probably learned some new tricks. and he was getting his *** whooped by the agent until he got the katana back.

zekopeko
April 15th, 2009, 09:57 PM
The population would have consumed itself into extinction. Talk about theatrical justice!

not true. they would simply recycle human bodies and add the food they produced. look at zion. no farm or sun but they have the food they need. hydroponics, dude, hydroponics , that's the future once you solve the energy requirements.

NightwishFan
April 15th, 2009, 11:12 PM
As a Morpheus and Smith fan, I will tell you that both of them have a secret truce. They both realize they are much more powerful then everyone else (I think it is the shades). So when they fought the moment all the people left, Morpheus gave the thumbs up, and they went out for some drinks. They they tied Morpheus up and let Neo and Trinity try to save him.

Later they are again having drinks and Morpheus is mad because Agent Smith shot him in the foot while escaping.

On a serious note, I think Morpheus simply improved.

MikeTheC
April 16th, 2009, 12:12 AM
See, what you have to understand is that the first Matrix film came out the same time that The Phantom Menace came out. The only reason The Matrix series became so popular (other than the T&A and high-flying action) was the boost it got from George Lucas' own massive nerfing of his own franchise.

yabbadabbadont
April 16th, 2009, 02:33 AM
in the first morpheus says to neo that they use the energy from the human body + an advanced form of fusion to produce the energy.

/pedantic I believe he actually said, "a limited form of fusion."

That was one of the issues that people bring up though. Even a limited form of fusion would generate a heck of a lot more power than harvesting bio-electric energy from people.

Edit: and I also believe that Morpheus had a line saying something about liquefying the dead to feed to the living.

ticopelp
April 16th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I always saw the Agents' big advantage being from their basically infinite endurance, not their being better at martial arts than everyone else. Trinity gets the drop on an Agent in the first film, and even has time to utter a snappy one-liner before she does it. From the flow of the movies, it seems the Agents aren't really that hard to defeat once, but it's the fact that they keep coming back instantaneously that will wear down any (human) opponent. In fact that's exactly what happens with the Agent that Morpheus defeats.

Carl Hamlin
April 16th, 2009, 02:49 AM

No, no - remember - they combined it with "a form of fusion". :D

BuffaloX
April 16th, 2009, 03:10 AM
the Matrix may have flaws, but the movies don't. :D

Jimmynemo2
April 16th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Worse than anything in the matrix= star wars ep 3.

"Don't Even try annikin, I have the high ground" dont mind that we can move thigns with our mind, semi-fly and all that jazz, the HIGH GROUND MEANS THE END." retarded....

ghindo
April 16th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Science

Fiction

yabbadabbadont
April 16th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Science

Fiction

True. What does get annoying though, is when they setup the rules/premises by which their make believe world works... and then violate them. (most likely because the writers didn't bother to think things through all the way)

Edit: Nice avatar choice by the way. ;)

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Phantom Menace owned.. Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon is not fair.

benj1
April 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
the reason v2 agents are slower than v1 agents are because they are windows style upgrades, yes they are quick to start with (thats why neo notices at the start) but soon begin to slow down once they get sp1 and a few bug fixes.

any way this conversation doesn't matter anywau, because non of this is real, we're all just plugged into a machine :p

ghindo
April 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Edit: Nice avatar choice by the way. ;)Right back at you :D

zekopeko
April 16th, 2009, 07:42 PM

"Don't Even try annikin, I have the high ground" dont mind that we can move thigns with our mind, semi-fly and all that jazz, the HIGH GROUND MEANS THE END." retarded....

well you have 2 equally powerful and skillful opponents. who do you think is going to win, the one on higher ground or the one on the lower?

hyperdude111
April 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM

If its a google product it is ALWAYS in beta.

Ms_Angel_D
April 16th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I suppose none of you have the The Ultimate Matrix Collection, My hubby bought it, and let me tell you the entire series is very philosophical. The Wachowski brothers simply refuse to say exactly what the story itself is about as they wish for people to draw their own conclusions.

Included in the box set is Audio Commentary by The Philosophers Dr. Cornel West and Ken Wilber, Once you watch this and listen to them You really start to see the matrix for what it is. A complete look at the way man sees life and religion. Having heard this commentary then watching the movie again, it really almost makes the action of it take a back seat, as the deeper meaning of these movies will really weigh heavy on your mind.

Disparition
April 16th, 2009, 09:37 PM

Higher ground means everything in competition.