PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best way to upgrade Heron to Ibex?

n000buntu
April 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I am having my first linux experience these last couple weeks. Got a netbook and installed eeebuntu NBR on it (based on 8.10, I think). Liked it a lot, so I installed Heron on an old Dell I had languishing in a closet. I just used a CD that came with a basic Ubuntu book I bought. How can I upgrade this to 8.10? Is there some kind of "one-click" process to do this via web/Synaptic, or do I need to make an install CD?

benmarvin
April 15th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Here's the official instructions: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

If you don't have anything important on the computer, I would recommend a complete new install. I've occasionally had issues with upgrades and a clean install always fixed it. But a simple upgrade may be just fine.

n000buntu
April 18th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Thanks for that info. It's a fresh install, so I will probably go ahead and just do a full install of 8.10.

I need to educate myself a little with versions of Ubuntu, LTS, etc, make sure I get what I want...like maybe I don't even want to upgrade until the next LTS...

Yashiro
April 18th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Unless you have some hardware that simply wont work with 8.04 you'd really be better off not upgrading to 8.10.

George Stephenson
April 18th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah right! I've been running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS for ages and with absolutely no problems. However, I tried to upgrgrade to 8.10 at the end of last year. I got corrupted files because British Broadband is too slow to download such a huge chunk in one hit. It downloaded in dribs and drabs and was incomplete when I tried to install. So, I obtained a disc in the post from Canonical ...... and it just sits there in the drive, not responding. If I boot from the disc at startup I get a message in Geek-Speak but no start-up of Ibex. I've tried the instructions on that web page also and get zilch. What's going on?

barney385
April 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I am having my first linux experience these last couple weeks. Got a netbook and installed eeebuntu NBR on it (based on 8.10, I think). Liked it a lot, so I installed Heron on an old Dell I had languishing in a closet. I just used a CD that came with a basic Ubuntu book I bought. How can I upgrade this to 8.10? Is there some kind of "one-click" process to do this via web/Synaptic, or do I need to make an install CD?

System>Administration>Software Sources

Click update tab

GoTo: Release Upgrade and change to normal release.

You'll be able to upgrade to 8.10 and maybe JJ also.

I still use Hardy Heron as it has been very good to me.

Good Luck

Therion
April 18th, 2009, 10:51 AM
What's going on?
Questions about upgrading (Should I? Do I need to?) and HOW to upgrade (online update vs. fresh install) are always hard to answer because no single answer will be correct for everyone.

My experience tells me this...

While many, many people will tell you they've never had a problem doing an online upgrade, the ONLY time I've ever had issues with upgrading is when I did it online. Clean installs are, in my opinion, the way to go. But then I always make sure I have "bullet proof" install media (I use Bittorrent to download, I check the MD5 and SHA1 sums, I burn it slow, I use known-good media, I do read checks) and I'm absolutely convinced that THAT is one of the biggest reasons why I have such good results. Online upgrades I think are fine, most of the time, IF you have the bandwidth. Otherwise, DL new install media using BT and install, or upgrade, from a disk.

As for Hardy vs. Intrepid vs. Jaunty... My suggestion would be this: If Hardy is doing it for you stick with it and/or try Jaunty Jackalope. I really think Jaunty is going to be one the best releases in a long time. The devs really seemed to have nailed it with Jaunty. Intrepid... Not so much. I had nothing BUT issues with Intrepid and while my experiences are only one person's, I've been around long enough to recognize a shakier, buggier release when I see one and IMO, Intrepid is a shakier, buggier release. Hardy was rock solid and Jaunty appears to following along those same lines. And that's not just me talking that's the feel I get for this release based on what I'm reading here on the forums in general. Of course YMMV, but that's just life in the fast lane.

In short, if you really want to upgrade, try a daily build LiveCD of Jaunty and see for yourself.

Daily Build CD's here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

George Stephenson
April 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Thank you for the advice, Therion. It's because of two years of buggy hell with Windows Vista (typist spits into cuspidor) that I saw the light and Ubuntu-ed my system last Autumn. I don't want to go throught THAT again! Hardy Heron is rock solid. I'll wait for the next LTS version. You've persuaded me not to try Iffy Ibex.

hesjnet
April 18th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Ubuntu 9.04 Januty Jackalope is officially released the 23. of april.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyReleaseSchedule

The next LTS(Long Term Support) version will be Ubuntu 10.04
Mark Shuttleworths blogg about future versions (http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/146)

chromedome
April 18th, 2009, 09:54 PM
This begs the question, for those of us currently running 8.04...will we not need to upgrade on a 8.04==>8.10==>9.04 path?

I know many of you favour a clean install every time, but frankly that's a pain, and (I feel) an impediment to wider acceptance of the OS.

coffeecat
April 18th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I got corrupted files because British Broadband is too slow to download such a huge chunk in one hit. It downloaded in dribs and drabs and was incomplete when I tried to install.

British Broadband is doing fine over here near the East Coast. No problems with huge downloads. I think it must have been those Westerlies. :wink:

The downloading in dribs and drabs may have been a temporary problem with the server, or perhaps your own ISP's connection. Do you experience any problems downloading CD or DVD ISOs?

Actually, my ISP is based in Exeter, so perhaps it wasn't those Westerlies after all. :p