PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Netbook Or Laptop

ewe
April 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM
My 20 year old daughter is moving 2000 miles away and I've promised her a computer. The new apartment is not big enough for a desktop (which is clearly the best deal out there), so its either a laptop or netbook. Her partner has a macbook.

I've considered giving her my HP laptop (only 6 months old and very nice) and getting myself a netbook since I have a nice desktop.

Any suggestions or recommendations? I guess what I want to know really is: are netbooks any good?

FreeAtMind
April 15th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Netbooks is for internet, and some documents like OpenOffice, PDF, and limited support for video, specialy HD contend. But they are pretty good with all task.
Buy one with 10", difference from 9" is allways huge in thats size. I have worked with 2 netbooks one with 9" and other with 10", and see that. SSD from netbooks are very bads, they are really slooooooows. All other specs are optional.

Cya

Peasantoid
April 15th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Netbooks suck at anything other than web browsing, e-mail, and other limited stuff. A laptop is a necessity for doing actual gaming.

riza hylviu
April 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
thats very funny i was already reading a thread about a laptop shipping in the community market:lolflag:
check this post
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1114187
Laptop is a better choice, netbooks are only for internet navigation ,their cpu are very bad

jespdj
April 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM
It depends on what you want to use the computer for.

As your "main computer", I think almost all netbooks are not very well suited. The screen of most netbooks is just too small, and many netbooks also not have a great keyboard.

I have a Dell Mini 9, with a 9-inch 1024x600 screen. The physical size and resolution of the screen is just barely large enough for some web surfing and e-mailing. I would not recommend it for seriously using office applications (OpenOffice) because of the screen size and resolution.

Also the keyboard of the Dell Mini 9 is really small and not suited for typing large amounts of text. There are netbooks that have better keyboards than the Mini 9, but most netbooks don't have a full-size keyboard.

I like my Mini 9 because it is very easy to carry around. For reading and sending e-mail it works very well, but I would not do any serious work on it. I'm using my XPS M1530 laptop for that.

Barry Carroll
April 15th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I have a samsung q210 and an nc20. They are both 12" models with 1280x800 displays yet the nc20 somehow fits into the netbook category ;)

The advantages of a netbook would be that they are very compact, easy to throw in a bag, usually have a webcam built-in and have good battery life. If you are going for one I'd personally recommend a 10" as I found 9" models too fiddly to type on.

I've did some basic Python, Java and Gimp on my old netbook, an asus eee 901, and it handled them all very well but it was nice to have the backup of a full laptop too. I upgraded mine to 2GB of ram which probably helped things a lot too.

If her partner has a macbook I'd be tempted to go down the netbook route. The Samsung NC10 and Asus EEE 1000HE seem to go be good choices and there are a few coming out now with slightly faster atom N280 chips / faster FSB / better chipsets (GN40).

IHeartMyiBook
April 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM
i have an Acer Aspire One (it is the 150 originally had WinXP) and i like it, i would definitely not get a SSD type as those die quicker and are slower from what i have heard, i still use my Macbook more than my netbook because it is faster and the screen is bigger, but the netbook is okay for simpler tasks like word processing and some games but not for things like Photoshop which i use alot on my macbook ^_^

Julian Lewis
April 15th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I have an ACER one aspire with an 8.9 inch display. 1 gig ram, a 160 gig hd, and I am running 9.04 remix on it. The 9.04 netbook interface is brilliant, I have all the usual apps running, Skype, Gearth, Picassa, VLC, Rythembox etc etc. A great little portable system with a good clear display and keyboard. My big desktop is a monster quad core running 8.04. I find the small device very convenient especially with a 5.2 Amp/Hr battery in it. I guess it depends on what you need, but my little Acer and I have a strong attachment going, I can do what I want and need on it. The 9.04 netbook works well on it, the combination is a winner.

Garrovick
April 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I have an Acer Aspire One with 1gig of RAM and a 160 hard drive. I would let her have the laptop and get a netbook to compliment the desktop. While I like my Aspire, but it's definitely not a Desktop.

PS: I play games on my X-Box, not my computer any more.

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 01:52 AM
<quiet musings>My Toshiba M200 laptop is decidedly "better" for video editing in some ways than my Compaq desktop: the dual-core processor, the extra RAM, the larger hard-drive..... hmmmmm..</quiet musings>

JC Cheloven
April 16th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Hi, I wrote recently a review on three popular netbooks:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1123926

I have to partially disagree with other posters here in what the limitations of a netbook are. I own a dell mini9, and I've prepared a lot of presentations for classroom with OOo while at the hospital (caring for my mother). I got used very quickly to work on it, and allowed me to do something useful during the long, long, waitings.

ewe
April 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the input, everyone. It'll go a long way in helping us reach a decision.

abn91c
April 16th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the input, everyone. It'll go a long way in helping us reach a decision.
check here for some cheap Ubuntu laptops http://www.geeks.com/search.asp?QUERY=ubuntu&FIELD=ALL&Submit=Go