PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] missing from xfce (xubuntu)

dyyyy
April 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM
hi,
i'm trying to decide if i shoulf install xubuntu or ubuntu on an old lapto
so can you please tell me what's still missing from xfce (and give me ur opinion)
i noticed till now that you can't drag and drop to the panel and from the menu(like to make a shortcut to pidgin)

ps : i don't care about each desktop's applications like OOo or Gimp, i just want to know what's missing from the desktop env.

thank you

mpsii
April 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
The only thing I can see that is "missing" is a global proxy server setting, akin to Gnome or KDE.

dyyyy
April 17th, 2009, 08:54 PM
another question
is xfce stable enough for normal use?

mpsii
April 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Yes... It is stable enough... Not like they just "whipped it up" over the weekend.

dyyyy
April 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM
hehehe ok ur right,
i still want to figure out why would someone prefer ubuntu over xubuntu,
since ubuntu is the main branch than there must be a reason for it right?

gjoellee
April 17th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Xubuntu is missing the lightweight desktop they claim to have!

ddrichardson
April 17th, 2009, 09:54 PM
They're just different interfaces, its down to personal preference. I like XFCE because most of the UNIX systems I cut my teeth on used CDE, making XFCE a shallower learning curve.

Ubuntu does use Gnome but I wouldn't go so far as to say this is a deliberate choice over KDE or XFCE, one of Mark Shuttleworth's requirements was for the OS to fit on one CD so multiple interfaces are not viable size wise. X/K/Ubuntu follow the same development cycle too so really the underlying sub structure is the same.

As it happens, Xubuntu is quite Gnome heavy anyway, certainly in comparison to other distributions.

dyyyy
April 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
well i have a pentium 4
CPU 2.4GHz
2 Giga-RAM
it's slightly faster and i didn't install xubuntu, i installed xfce desktop on my ubuntu.