PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] n00b Just getting started with Ubuntu

Jason4life32
April 15th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Hey guys,

I know you probably get tired of answering tedious questions that are probably very simple to figure out. I am currently booting Ubuntu 8.10 from a USB Drive. However, I was under the idea that it would save my settings so that every time I boot from the USB it will have all my previous work, settings, etc. Is there something I'm not doing or overlooking any help would be much appreciated.

Jason

RedSingularity
April 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
No it is not supposed to save anything. It is used to "try" ubuntu or even repair a broken system.

stringkarma
April 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
If you set up the USB stick as a persistant-style drive then it CAN work, unfortunately my experience with this has been less than great. If you want to test out Ubuntu without risking damage to your computer you might try a virtual computer with free software like WUBI or VirtualBox (which I highly recommend) http://www.virtualbox.org/

Copernicus1234
April 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I think most people here likes answering questions that are simple to them... at least I know I do.

I wouldnt do it for Windows users, but Im glad to help people with Linux since its a beautiful system.

Jason4life32
April 15th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Haha Thanks guys. I'm going to look more into the Persisten-style drive. Sounds more along the lines of what i'm ultimately trying to do which is being able to boot my stuff on anyone's computer with my settings still there.

tamas305
April 15th, 2009, 06:09 PM
What I did, it may or may not be to your tastes, was have a full install of Ubuntu onto my USB drive. It is like carrying an internal hard drive along with you everywhere. That is especially useful for Java programmers like me. Is this what you want?

Or this?
It is possible to partition your USB drive, so part of it you can use for windows (a fat32 partition) and a part for Ubuntu's full install (ext3 & swap).

-tamas