PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE, Compiz, Plasma and pager issue

Memes11
April 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Hello,

I just switched to KDE desktop and I fall in love with it (The previous KDE I used was ugly). I am then now using KDE 4.1 (the default in Kubuntu) and I got some issues. the most important one is concerning compiz.

I setted up compiz to start automatically at the startup (I added 'Compiz --replace' in the autostart list, maybe not the right way to do...). When my computer starts, it displays an error complaining about a SIGABRT problem (see here for similar issue : Link (http://markmail.org/message/dmerl6z2vnfbo44s?q=compiz+sigabrt&page=1&refer=uqgzxaoeg6z3xivj)), the pager also displays only one desktop (while I actually have 4).

If I click on OK to close the error message, then close my pager widget, and add a new pager, it works flawlessly...

To be noted too, there is no way to change the config of the initial pager.

Does anyone can help me?

Thanks

txcrackers
April 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM
KDE has it's own compositing built into the window manager and this usually causes problems with Compiz. I'd suggest removing Compiz and use the built-in facilities. They get even better in 4.2

Memes11
April 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
KDE has it's own compositing built into the window manager

May you tell bit more for a pure noob like me?

Does it has the cube too (I particularly like this one :))

Monsieur Gonzalez
April 16th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Yes, cube effect is there too (and many other things, more info here (http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.2/guide.php)). Take txcrackers's advice and update to 4.2.2 (see the kubuntu guide on how to get the updates, or wait till Jaunty).

Memes11
April 17th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Merci Monsieur.

I had a look on it, I can not find the cube yet (but you said it is there, I will continue to look for it).

Disabling compiz indeed solve the issue (no surprise ;))

Is there a way to keep kwin for KDE but to have compiz activated for Gnome (if ever I decide to boot with gnome).

Thanks

Monsieur Gonzalez
April 17th, 2009, 08:40 AM
1- Cube effect - Go to System Settings, Desktop, Desktop Effects, All Effects tab, enable the Desktop Cube (activate it with Ctrl+F11). I had to disable Desktop Grid.

2- You can keep Compiz, you can use it in your Gnome session.

Memes11
April 18th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I did not find it under KDE 4.1 and then update to KDE 4.2, it is great. I actually prefer this cube :)

KDE Is really a good surprise for me :)