PDA

View Full Version : On-screen reading: Serif vs Sans Serif

samjh
April 15th, 2009, 10:25 AM
It's generally accepted that serif fonts are easier to read than sans-serif fonts on paper.

But what about on a computer screen? Which type of font do you find easier to read?

For those who are not aware, serif fonts are those with "tails" - eg. Times New Roman, Georgia, Bookman; sans serif fonts are those without "tails" - eg. Arial, Helvetica, Verdana.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3518/fonts.png

Oops. I just noticed that my Trebuchet MS 14-point example is missing an "i" in "serif". Sorry, that's just a typo, not a defect in the font! ;)

itreius
April 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Sans-Serif. I absolutely love Calibri. :p

aaaantoine
April 15th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I gotta say I prefer sans-serif.

The only time there's an issue in sans-serif is I vs l (and sometimes 1). And 99.9% of the time, these letters (and sometimes number) can be deduced via context. And the default font of these very forums has distinctive characters for each, despite being mostly sans-serif.

happysmileman
April 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Sans Serif I prefer, though the "l" vs. "I" can be confusing, 99.9% of the time you can understand it from context, the other 0.1% you copy-paste what looks like random gibberish and end up with a very sexually explicit last.fm username, to the delight of your friends.

Not that i'm speaking from experience :P

Barrucadu
April 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Sans-serif, which I also find easier to read on paper. However, I don't find 'overly-rounded' sans-serif fonts readable at all.

LowSky
April 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Sans Serif I prefer, though the "l" vs. "I" can be confusing, 99.9% of the time you can understand it from context, the other 0.1% you copy-paste what looks like random gibberish and end up with a very sexually explicit last.fm username, to the delight of your friends.

Not that i'm speaking from experience :P

I just have to know what that username is... im intrigued
:lolflag:

lukjad
April 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I voted sans for a very good reason. Some serif fonts are really weird and hard to read. I think that a slightly serif font is good, but better be safe than sorry.

happysmileman
April 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I just have to know what that username is... im intrigued
:lolflag:

Well I wouldn't say "very sexually explicit", just pretty embarassing, it's "aNalLVR69", but looked just like "aNaILVR69", it was mainly that I was very tired and didn't think of it much, but then I went and copy-pasted it into google the next day when I was wondering why the person who suggested it was like "OMG you actually used it"

bashveank
April 15th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Wow, almost unanimously Serif. Makes me wish I voted Sans just to go against the flow a bit :D

glotz
April 15th, 2009, 04:47 PM
This thread could really use a screenshot or two for the technically less inclined. Unless, of course, you want to omit them.

drumsticks
April 15th, 2009, 10:47 PM
It really depends on your screen rendering capabilities. On lower PPI displays, I would've use sans-serif fonts, but now with my 129 PPI display, I*can afford to use serif fonts. I*have my font preferences set to: "sub-pixel" smoothing with "slight" hinting. When I upgrade to my next display, which ideally would be close to ~150 PPI, I should be able to use no hinting at all.

For reference: 1680x1050 on a 15.4 laptop screen = 129 PPI, and 1920x1440 on a 15.4 screen = 147 PPI, currently the highest you can get (that I*know of). I'm waiting for manufacturers come up with >200 PPI displays. It'll be a long wait...

EDIT: >200 PPI screens do exist, but only for small displays. I was referring only to 15in or bigger screens.

Tomosaur
April 15th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I prefer sans-serif for most things, but serif can be good occasionally. I just think serif fonts are harder to use in a 'good' way for designers / developers.

samjh
April 16th, 2009, 12:25 AM
This thread could really use a screenshot or two for the technically less inclined. Unless, of course, you want to omit them.

Good suggestion. I've just posted a image of each font type in the OP. Thanks. :)

SunnyRabbiera
April 16th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I see both the same on my screen

drumsticks
April 16th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Good suggestion. I've just posted a image of each font type in the OP. Thanks. :)

Good attempt for the "technically less inclined".

However, technically speaking, the use of screenshots here is deceptive as it depends on the rasteriser used to generate the screenshots. Different settings (font hinting, sub-pixel smoothing, glyph stretching (I forgot what the actual term is), etc.) will bias the results one way or the other. Unfortunately, there is no true way of comparing font rendering when each of us use different screen resolutions, and very likely uncalibrated screens (color-wise). Results will be different too if one uses a screen with different sub-pixel orientation. Ah, the challenges of working with lo-fi screens :)