PDA

View Full Version : Question about Windows 98.

Newuser1111
April 15th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I put the Tandy 1000 SX back into it's box in the closet and I put the Dell OptiPlex GL 5100 where it was. And I put that bad Maxtor into it. (After a while, that Maxtor wouldn't accept any Linuxes anymore and it was hard to get Windows to boot. But after some problems with GRUB4DOS it works.)
I have installed Opera and ClamWin Free Antivirus and got it connected to the internet.

But is it safe to keep it connected to the internet all(or most) of the time? And is it safe to keep the computer on all of the time?

inobe
April 15th, 2009, 06:00 AM
windows 98 is safer than win7. viruses or hack attacks "i thinks" are no longer focused on relic platforms.

|Mitch|
April 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Windows 98 SE was probably the best OS Microsoft ever produced.

inobe
April 15th, 2009, 06:12 AM
i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that windows 98 se was probably the best os microsoft ever produced.

+1

Icehuck
April 15th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Windows 98 SE was probably the best OS Microsoft ever produced.

Compared to Win95? Sure.

Compared to Win2k or XP? No, not even close,

Jimmynemo2
April 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Yeah, I'll vote against win98 being the best OS microsoft made. I know its trendy here to hate em, but still, theyve made better.

XP was better by a landslide.

NOW, you can make a case for 98se being less attacked, and that I think would hold up to scrutiny, but barring the uncontrollable element of how often they got attacked being the only qualification of "best", I think XP was better for device detection, UI ease, stability. 98se was great for its time, but not best ever.

Course, none of them hold up to 8.10 and 9.04 in any of those categories :)

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM

No Win2K, I always had issues with Win98 SE.
Win2k is the only Windows OS I never got a BSOD on

inobe
April 15th, 2009, 08:53 AM
it's still a relic, i know folks that still use it and they are doing well with their relics.

Mehall
April 15th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I agree with the Win 98se being best OS MS ever made.

I'm not currently using it, but I might end up doing so again, since I'm still having issues with my wifi in my old computer.

k2t0f12d
April 15th, 2009, 01:42 PM

*NT developers around the world murmur with supressed rage*

Chilli Bob
April 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM

For me the best thing about 98 SE was that it finally drove me to Linux. I've owned and used every windows except ME, and 98 SE was by far the most unreliable for me. 2000 was perhaps the best.

Johnsie
April 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I think Windows XP is the best ever. All the other ones have aged and look old fashioned but XP still looks nice and shiny. Vista isn't great but I think alot of people stuck with XP because they like it and dont want to change. That's why alot of people also choose XP over Linux.

James_Lochhead
April 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM
People stick with XP because it fills their needs perfectly fine. Why spend more money on Vista when you already have an OS that works for you?

Also, Vista is a resource hog and people may not necessarily want to upgrade their computers. Not to mention, some people are still using old computers that cannot even support Vista. I know my mum is using Windows 98 (not SE), and only got an XP laptop this year - because my sister gave it to her (she only uses the computer for invoices, and doesn't even bother with XP normally).

Not to mention you average Fred Bloggs probably doesn't appreciate Vistas features. Most people (who use Windows) know jack all about security and could care less about eye candy...

Thelasko
April 15th, 2009, 05:40 PM
But is it safe to keep it connected to the internet all(or most) of the time? And is it safe to keep the computer on all of the time?

I would have to say no to this. Sure, Windows 98 is old and viruses/worms no longer target it, but they did at one time. A lot of those old viruses/worms are still on the loose. The largest threat would be from worms, as ClamWin does not have real time detection. One of those old worms could get onto your system and you would never know it.

One of my largest issues with Windows 98 was that it's single user design was inherently insecure. I've never played with NT, but I wonder if it was better.

The best version of Windows is hands down XP Pro. Set it up with two accounts, one superuser, and one user. Only use the superuser to install software, and use the user for everything else. It will be stable for years.

Really, the only thing MS did wrong on XP (besides killing it off and releasing Vista) was allowing the single user setup so easily. They solved that problem with Vista's UAC. Unfortunately, they also created all kinds of other problems in the process.

I feel the reason everyone complains about Vista is because XP was so good, Microsoft just couldn't top it.

Wow, I come off as a real MS fanboy in this post. Seriously, Ubuntu is way better.:p

inobe
April 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
For me the best thing about 98 SE was that it finally drove me to Linux. I've owned and used every windows except ME, and 98 SE was by far the most unreliable for me. 2000 was perhaps the best.

it was millennium that drove me to the breaking point, 5 bsod's per day minimum.

Thelasko
April 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM
it was millennium that drove me to the breaking point, 5 bsod's per day minimum.

Yeah, me too. That was when I took my first plunge into Linux. It didn't go well. I ended up buying a copy of XP a few months later.

BuffaloX
April 16th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I wouldn't put too much trust in running Windows 98 SE, many holes patched in Windows XP and Vista, go way back through several Windows versions.
If you install a firewall, and use Opera instead of IE, you'd at least be slightly better off.

swoll1980
April 16th, 2009, 04:58 AM
:shock:

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 05:02 AM
anyone want my legitimate version of windows millennium :roll:

CJ Master
April 16th, 2009, 05:26 AM

Yes. :P I actually love that OS... not for actual use, but for all the nastolga... (however you spell it. ;) ) It's fun. :)

Ticketoride
April 16th, 2009, 05:28 AM
And is it safe to keep the computer on all of the time?
Still have ancient Win9X Black Ice Firewall with no A/V running. Run Firefox 1.5x w/ NoScript, so far so good.

Absolutely, and the most enjoyable too. When stripped down with 98Lite, a Speed Demon like I have never seen anything like it before. Unfortunately most People don't know how to set it up properly, ID the Apps with Memory Leaks, and know when its Time to reboot.

For all serious Production work, its still Win98SE & MS Office 97, Photoshop 7.x, etc. ... nothing gets anything done faster.
Nothing at all, nothing even close.

One of my largest issues with Windows 98 was that it's single user design was inherently insecure.
That's what I loved about it, no nothing getting into your Face to prevent you from much of anything. Secondly, OS Security sucks anyways, and always use my own Third Party Apps which handle those Aspects far better, without Windows restricting this and that. Can't recall Win98 Security was ever an Issue, nor any other MS OS.

That was the most anticipated OS for me, the only one that got scratched off within 4 Hours again. What a disappointment.

Nothing legitimate about ME ... :)

CJ Master
April 16th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Aha, by millennium I thought he ment 2000. ME is a fun toy too though. :D

Newuser1111
April 16th, 2009, 05:36 AM
ClamWin does not have real time detection.I changed the settings so it scans once a day.

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Aha, by millennium I thought he ment 2000. ME is a fun toy too though. :D

everything else was nice, it could be tweaked but their was no way to stop the infamous blue screens.

tried changing hardware, replacing drivers and no matter what i did, it didn't have any affect.

CJ Master
April 16th, 2009, 05:52 AM
everything else was nice, it could be tweaked but their was no way to stop the infamous blue screens.

tried changing hardware, replacing drivers and no matter what i did, it didn't have any affect.

I said toy, not productive work enviroment. :D It's fun seeing how fast you can get a bluescreen. :popcorn:

Some people don't get bluesceens in ME... or thats what they claim.;)

Dr. C
April 16th, 2009, 06:49 AM
To answer the OP's question. How are you connecting Windows 98 to the Internet? If it is behind a properly configured hardware firewall, a basic home router or a GNU / Linux box it will be fine. If Windows 98 is to be connected directly to the Internet then a good software firewall is a must. ZoneAlarm versions 5 and earlier work for Windows 98.

I would say the same about any version of Windows including XP, Vista, 7 etc. Hide behind a GNU / Linux box or a router or use a good software firewall. XP sp2 or later, Vista and 7 do have firewalls built in that will protect them if properly configured, earlier versions of Windows including NT, 2000, XP (sp1 and earlier) do not have a firewall and can get infected in a few minutes just by connecting them directly to the Internet.

By the way Microsoft itself has been known to hide its Windows servers behind GNU / Linux firewalls.
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=www.live.com

rmayer32
April 16th, 2009, 07:51 AM
To me Win2k and XP were the most stable versions. I still run XP Pro as under Virtualbox occasionally when I need to do something that requires Windows, but that is less and less all the time.

I remember some guys at work having all sorts of issues with ME and fortunately I stayed away from that one. I played with Linux on and off for years but Vista dropping my laptop to a complete crawl when it was supposedly "designed for it" pushed me over the edge once and for all.

I find Ubuntu to be the perfect OS for my laptop and just finished converting my son's older desktop to Ubuntu as well.

Thelasko
April 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't put too much trust in running Windows 98 SE, many holes patched in Windows XP and Vista, go way back through several Windows versions.

Those holes go back to the NT fork. Microsoft abandoned the 9X architecture completely after ME. I doubt there are many vulnerabilities in common between 9X and NT.

To quote Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT_4.0):

Between June 2003 and June 2007, 127 security flaws were identified and patched in Windows 2000 Server, many of which may also affect Windows NT 4.0;

I still would like to play with NT some time though.

Thelasko
April 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yes. :P I actually love that OS... not for actual use, but for all the nastolga... (however you spell it. ;) ) It's fun. :)

Ah, starting a virus aquarium (http://xkcd.com/350/) are we?

inobe
April 17th, 2009, 01:25 AM
i remember setting up raid0 on millennium, i actually got it to work :lol:

the slightest over clock generated a blue screen, those were the good days.

Mulenmar
April 17th, 2009, 01:36 AM

If you've got the installation code, I'll take it. WinME has it's uses, namely as the source of updated files used in 98SEME

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46349

Best Windows OS I've ever used. Takes the good of WinME (yes, there's some good stuff in there somewhere) and uses it to update the stable Win98SE.

Then install Firefox, OpenOffice 3, a firewall, etc etc.

Before I got my computer that came with Vista (R.I.Pieces), I ran this. I had Win98SE2Me running with more freeware than Microsoft products! :D

Newuser1111
April 17th, 2009, 01:55 AM
If you've got the installation code, I'll take it.I already took it.

Mulenmar
April 17th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I already took it.

Oh, darn. Me Win some, me lose some. :P

EDIT: I swear, I did not ask just to be able to make that joke.

CJ Master
April 17th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I already took it.

I called it first >.> ;)