PDA

View Full Version : Applications appeared to be given up on.

inobe
April 15th, 2009, 05:51 AM
applications appeared to be given up on like xine.

i think xine was amazing back in 05' and still is, it makes an exceptional kde4 backend especially with the mozzilla plugin.

i started this thread because of things like that, it could have been an all in one application, now i see many looking towards smplayer.

quite annoying actually when you get set in your ways and to find that change is needed.

the other day i decided to search and do research for a xine EQ and ran into this discussion

http://marc.info/?l=xine-devel&r=1&b=200904&w=2

seems as if no one wants the dev to stop' nor do i !.

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Well Xine has many frontends by now, so its sort of why its kind of left out.
There are several apps I wish remained developed, Kxmame, XMMS (though technically its still around in some shape or form), Rhythmbox, Synaptic (ubuntu uses a non standard mod of synaptic, but it might be gone soon as there have been rumors of a packagekit migration)

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I like xine. What Gstreamer sees as streaming, or having zero length at all, xine will play fine.

sertse
April 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Huh? Xine is alive, they had a couple of releases in the last few months, sure nothing revoluntary, but its a matire project by now... I'm not sure what the discussion is about

Personally, xine is the only framework that "just worked"
with the media I watch.

KDE4's (default media player?) Dragon Player also defaults to xine iirc, and kaffiene is going to the ported to qt4.. last time I heard.

inobe
April 15th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I like xine. What Gstreamer sees as streaming, or having zero length at all, xine will play fine.

xine hasn't failed me yet, it hasn't even hiccuped on me since 05 but really hasn't improved either.

we would think it had at least an EQ by now.

calrogman
April 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
gPodder, at least in the 8.04 repos.

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 09:21 PM
gPodder, at least in the 8.04 repos.

In Intrepid, 0.12.1-1 is in the repos but 0.15.2 was just released from the site (http://gpodder.org) on the 11th of April.

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM
One app I am glad is gone is adept, adept really sucked as a package manager.

inobe
April 15th, 2009, 11:06 PM
One app I am glad is gone is adept, adept really sucked as a package manager.

it's still here and working in kubuntu 8.10 x64, the only problems i had was adding sources, it crashed and i needed to delete sources from the list to get it working again.

someone mentioned dragon, i have had sound issues with it for whatever reason.

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2009, 11:19 PM
it's still here and working in kubuntu 8.10 x64, the only problems i had was adding sources, it crashed and i needed to delete sources from the list to get it working again.

someone mentioned dragon, i have had sound issues with it for whatever reason.

It will be phased out in Jaunty though.