PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Movie

mamamia88
April 15th, 2009, 03:19 AM
what do you guys think of it? my brother wants me to go see it with him but i never really got into the series but it is directed by the same guy who produces my favorite show fringe

reprobus
April 15th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I can't wait!!! The previews looked absolutely awesome.They changed the release date to May 7th. I already asked for that day off work. They better not sell out before I get there or I will be one pissed off trekkie.

blithen
April 15th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Honestly I HATED the series, but this movie actually looks quite good, except for the dude from Harold in kumar, I don't think he will ever be able to escape that role.

darco
April 15th, 2009, 03:32 AM
It looks cool but I had to laugh when I saw the character(Sylar)from the Heroes TV show as Spock.
Ill watch it
darco

CharmyBee
April 15th, 2009, 03:44 AM
this new movie is being marketed like some sort of Twilight Trek. It's ruined :/

Polygon
April 15th, 2009, 03:47 AM
this new movie is being marketed like some sort of Twilight Trek. It's ruined :/

huh? you can't assume they have ruined the series because of a preview...its called marketing. they WANT you to go see it

any assumptions made that the movie is terrible before it is even out is completely ridiculous

MikeTheC
April 15th, 2009, 06:05 AM
huh? you can't assume they have ruined the series because of a preview...its called marketing. they WANT you to go see it

Yeah, but think of it this way. If the trailer is the "good, exciting stuff" from the movie and based on that you think they've ruined it, then where's the incentive to see the whole thing?

Me, personally, I've been burned far too many times in recent years, and so I don't go to see anything in the theater first. I don't see the sense in spending money for something I don't know if I'll even like without the ability to get my money back.

ticopelp
April 15th, 2009, 06:13 AM
After Nemesis and Enterprise, Trek has nowhere to go but up. I was initially very skeptical, but it looks good. I'll go see it.

Icehuck
April 15th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I don't believe Hollywood can make a decent Star Trek movie any more. The last two films that came out were "meh" and made the TNG cast look kinda crappy.

If you are not from the original cast there is no way in hell I want to you play their roles. Karl Urban is McCoy, seriously, wtf.

MikeTheC
April 15th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I don't believe Hollywood can make a decent Star Trek movie any more. The last two films that came out were "meh" and made the TNG cast look kinda crappy.

If you are not from the original cast there is no way in hell I want to you play their roles. Karl Urban is McCoy, seriously, wtf.

I guess we'll soon find out. ;)

SunnyRabbiera
April 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM

The only actor who I feel was cast right was Zach Quinto as Spock, his role as Sylar in Heroes is sort of proof of concept that he can do characters who dont need emotions to express themselves.
Vulcans are technically sociopaths anyway ;)

yugure
April 15th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I'm avoiding this movie. I could never stand the original series, although the related movies weren't that bad. I loved TNG, so I was typically content with the movies having to do with that part of the franchise.

For me, it was bad enough that Abrams was involved. I can't stand anything attached to him. The casting seems atrocious as well. When I found out in the Wikipedia article there's a time-travelling Romulan villain, I threw my hands in the air and exclaimed, "Done!"

No author should ever have time travel in a story. Ever. #-o

Spot1234
April 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I'm avoiding this movie. I could never stand the original series, although the related movies weren't that bad. I loved TNG, so I was typically content with the movies having to do with that part of the franchise.

For me, it was bad enough that Abrams was involved. I can't stand anything attached to him. The casting seems atrocious as well. When I found out in the Wikipedia article there's a time-travelling Romulan villain, I threw my hands in the air and exclaimed, "Done!"

Not a fan of HG Wells then.

I've heard positive things about this movie, and it can't be worse then Nemisis

xir_
April 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
now im not treky my star trek video collection doesnt exceed the 200 mark. but i have to say i am really excited by it.

I'm looking forward to it more than I did my birthday. I like Abrams style as well so double excitement.

And i want to see what a fresh hand can make out of the best sci-fi universe ever.

i think the cast look good, but i really will judge them on their acting in this film.

Till the release i shall just comfort myself with my lock of Michael Dorns hair.

smartboyathome
April 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Looks like a teen heart throb cast if you asked me. All the characters look like they were chosen because teens would fall in love with them, and just didn't care about anyone else. I'm not going to see it, thats for sure..

aaaantoine
April 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM

They can't exactly get DeForest Kelley to do it.

What's wrong with watching some more stories from the original crew, even if it's not the same actors in the role? Any time a new TV series comes out with a different crew, people seem less and less interested in them.

This is an experiment in casting different actors as the original crew, and it will probably be more successful by itself than the entire run of Enterprise was.

mister_doctor
April 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I will give it a chance.

J.J. Abrams has proven that he can do some pretty amazing work. Lost is still airing and continues keep people sucked in (myself, the wife), despite the script being a complete mindf**k.

Thelasko
April 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
When I found out in the Wikipedia article there's a time-travelling Romulan villain, I threw my hands in the air and exclaimed, "Done!"

Yep, that's when I was done too. The trailers look awesome. I was totally going on opening day. Then I read that plot synopsis...

Having watched some of JJ Abrams other work, it doesn't surprise me. I was a HUGE fan of Alias, and then the show just went off on some crazy tangent and never recovered. Same thing with Lost. It seems like he always has to find some way to jump the shark. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark)

CJ Master
April 15th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I'm a hardcore Trekkie here, and I gotta say...

The trailers were AWEFULL! I'm serious, it's one of the worst trailers I have ever seen.

...probably going to see the DVD of it anyways.

koenn
April 15th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Asimov gets away with it quite well in 'the end of eternity'

Polygon
April 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Yep, that's when I was done too. The trailers look awesome. I was totally going on opening day. Then I read that plot synopsis...

Having watched some of JJ Abrams other work, it doesn't surprise me. I was a HUGE fan of Alias, and then the show just went off on some crazy tangent and never recovered. Same thing with Lost. It seems like he always has to find some way to jump the shark. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jump_the_shark)

well look at lost. it has the most stupid, crazy plot ever, and yet every magazine and person out there is claiming its the best series ever. And this is star trek, they have done 'time travel' in the series and in one of the movies before.....so its not that uncommon.

yabbadabbadont
April 16th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I don't think that I've managed to sit through more than two episodes of any JJ Abrams show... I think I'll give this movie a pass too.

NightwishFan
April 16th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I only like classic Star Trek. However, it does look good.

lisati
April 16th, 2009, 08:40 PM
It looks cool but I had to laugh when I saw the character(Sylar)from the Heroes TV show as Spock.
Ill watch it
darco

Somehow it doesn't seem right having different actors in the roles. Getting the original Scotty and Bones might be problematical ("they're dead, Jim").
Having said that, the previews I've seen look interesting.

<aside>I enjoyed the Boston Legal episode where they used footage from a 1960s show Bill Shatner was in. Tied in quite nicely</aside>