PDA

View Full Version : Determine variable usage and size

Sidneyaks
April 15th, 2009, 02:25 AM
First off, sorry if this isn't allowed, but I read that faqs about homework and am pretty sure that it is.

Ok, so I'm writing a program for a class, and I was wondering, is there any easy way to use the terminal to just list out the variables the program creates and their types/size? I'm curious because I'm working with pointers and structures and it would help to know if I'm doing it right. Thanks in advance.

Can+~
April 15th, 2009, 02:29 AM
First off, sorry if this isn't allowed, but I read that faqs about homework and am pretty sure that it is.

Ok, so I'm writing a program for a class, and I was wondering, is there any easy way to use the terminal to just list out the variables the program creates and their types/size? I'm curious because I'm working with pointers and structures and it would help to know if I'm doing it right. Thanks in advance.

There are various ways to achieve that, for instance:

1. Manually creating a function that can print that information (easiest, but time consuming if the homework is updated often, well.. it depends on how big the homework is).

2. Compiling with debug flag (-gdb) and the passing it to a debugger or debugger front-end, and run it to check that's working ok.

Sidneyaks
April 15th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Cool, I've seen my teacher use the debugger, but she types so fast that sometimes it's hard to keep up.

slavik
April 15th, 2009, 04:12 AM
for sizes, look for "sizeof" in the index and how to use it. :)