PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

dragos240
April 15th, 2009, 02:02 AM
This forum is getting pretty boring..... most of these topics are just useless drivel. Nothing more. It seems to be growing, at least for me. And when I started here, I always went here to chill out, and I still do. But it's become so still. Almost as if a few people are creating posts to keep this forum alive. I mean, I'm not saying that we should shut this forum down, no, that would be awful. What i'm suggesting is we just google a popular topic and have people discuss it, something maybe a little more interesting? Who feels the same way as I do?

damis648
April 15th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Recently I have lost some interest in the forum, i used to get 20-25,30 posts a day. Now I get in 5-10 at most. I don't know what happened.

kevin11951
April 15th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I agree 100%, this forum has gotten pretty boring and quiet... I like the google idea.

gnomeuser
April 15th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Personally I am tired of the pointless Mono and Pulseaudio bashing. It is also getting increasingly hard to carry on a technical debate or being able to spot a geniunely worthwhile new idea.

I find myself going back here to see what updates there might be to any replies I made and it's crickets all around.

Maheriano
April 15th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I've been around here a few years lurking mostly but I find that as the desktop advances, you have more new users because its simplicity appeals to new users and they know nothing. Back in the day you had to have much more knowledge to get around Ubuntu so the average person on the forums was more knowledgable and able to start/continue some of the debates that were had. As well, there were more problems that are now pretty basic features and don't need to be brainstormed like they used to.

dragos240
April 15th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Personally I am tired of the pointless Mono and Pulseaudio bashing. It is also getting increasingly hard to carry on a technical debate or being able to spot a geniunely worthwhile new idea.

I find myself going back here to see what updates there might be to any replies I made and it's crickets all around.

I find myself doing that every day. If only we could put that empowerment we had back then..... *sigh*

.Maleficus.
April 15th, 2009, 02:18 AM

I couldn't agree more. All of the bashing threads are getting very old. I've actually found myself sitting and refreshing 4chan more than I refresh UF, which is bad for my health. I've started growing a neckbeard and now regularly find myself wanting to reply to a thread with trollface.jpg ;). Actually, there are some interesting threads over there, I'll see what I can dig up and turn into thoughtful conversation over here.

swoll1980
April 15th, 2009, 02:20 AM
It comes, and goes. I will disappear for a couple months here, and there if it gets to dry. The backyard always kept things interesting.

Giant Speck
April 15th, 2009, 02:30 AM

See, I don't mind a bit of debate every now and then, but it seems that well-intentioned software debates quickly spiral into mindless flame wars with no actual substance.

RiceMonster
April 15th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Sounds like you're getting bored of this forum. I post on a few forums, and there's one I've been on regularly since 2004 (others have come and gone). This is exactly what people say before they get bored and stop posting.

BGFG
April 15th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I was actually thinking of starting a 'Discussion' thread. let everyone post a few topics, decide on one, and let fly :) I had a lot of fun with and anti-chrome thread i started a while back, that was a nice chat....

But it does seem that useless polls and recurring discussions are the norm. I've been spending more time over in jaunty testing these days and once my finals are over, i'll try spending more time in absolute beginner and general help, you know, doing something productive.

hikaricore
April 15th, 2009, 02:39 AM
I mostly stick to the Gaming, WINE, and General Help sections so I don't get bored too easily.

foofyfoofy
April 15th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I guess it's like being with the same girlfriend for a long time. Eventually you get bored and move on :lolflag:

blithen
April 15th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I guess it's like being with the same girlfriend for a long time. Eventually you get bored and move on :lolflag:

o_o; Aside of how messed up that is...
I find that if you switch forums to general help or other discussion threads, that you get less bored.

myusername
April 15th, 2009, 03:09 AM
...i miss the backyard....

yabbadabbadont
April 15th, 2009, 03:11 AM
...i miss the backyard....

and Rav Tux (among others).

blithen
April 15th, 2009, 03:12 AM
and Rav Tux (among others).

Wow yeah, he was basically one giant ideas for conversation, wasn't he posting like 10 threads a day? Man...I love that guy.

foofyfoofy
April 15th, 2009, 03:13 AM
o_o; Aside of how messed up that is...
I find that if you switch forums to general help or other discussion threads, that you get less bored.

lol.. how's that messed up, it happens in real life.

yabbadabbadont
April 15th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Wow yeah, he was basically one giant ideas for conversation, wasn't he posting like 10 threads a day? Man...I love that guy.

Some of his bunny related threads were epic.

mamamia88
April 15th, 2009, 03:14 AM
it's not just you these forums are getting kind of boring maybe i should try to start some good threads

click4851
April 15th, 2009, 03:18 AM
sorry guys, but if its not support related.....

Changturkey
April 15th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Well nothing controversial is discussed, so that is part of the reason I assume. And since there are always newbies coming in and out, they'll start topics that have probably been discussed to death.

yabbadabbadont
April 15th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Well nothing controversial is discussed, so that is part of the reason I assume. And since there are always newbies coming in and out, they'll start topics that have probably been discussed to death.

Just about every visit here, I end up reporting at least one thread to be moved/merged into Recurring Discussions.

blithen
April 15th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Just about every visit here, I end up reporting at least one thread to be moved/merged into Recurring Discussions.

Me as well. :/

mamamia88
April 15th, 2009, 03:57 AM

probably since you aren't allowed to create a thread in recurring discussions

kk0sse54
April 15th, 2009, 03:58 AM
probably since you aren't allowed to create a thread in recurring discussions

The point is not to make threads that can be placed into the Recurring Discussions category