PDA

View Full Version : Favorite OS besides Linux?

IHeartMyiBook
April 15th, 2009, 01:25 AM
OK so more or less the reason i made this thread is to make a poll BUT i also wanted to see what people liked (please note this is not a thread for OS bashing only opinions that DON'T include "[insert os name] sucks utterly i dont know why anyone would use it!") if your OS isnt listed in the poll click other and put yours in the reply

Chemical Imbalance
April 15th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Besides Linux, I like: Haiku, OpenSolaris, *BSD, and QNX.

chucky chuckaluck
April 15th, 2009, 01:27 AM
either windows ME, or vista business (i hate xp).

Kingsley
April 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Vista Ultimate. Windows DVD Maker is a pimp tool.

kernelhaxor
April 15th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Windows 7 and Windows Vista Business

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 15th, 2009, 01:30 AM
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris

Giant Speck
April 15th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Windows 7 and Windows Vista Home Premium.

But that's only because Ubuntu is the only non-Windows operating system I have ever used. Once I get my new computer, I want to try out OpenSolaris and BSD and possibly some other Linux distros.

.Maleficus.
April 15th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Having not used anything else extensively, I voted Windows.

Mokoma
April 15th, 2009, 01:33 AM
xp

0per4t0r
April 15th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Windows XP Pro SP3 or vista home premium. Vista's okay, but XP is better.

Mokoma
April 15th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Windows XP Pro SP3 or vista home premium. Vista's okay, but XP is better.

is vista any quicker after service pack 2?

Johnny19734
April 15th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Windows 3.1 :lolflag:

kk0sse54
Favorite OS besides Linux?

You mean my overall favorite OS period. NetBSD of course :KS

scragar
Is it wrong that I like early versions of windows more than the mid or later versions? What was wrong with having a file manager and programs, nothing else? You didn't need panels or a start menu, and things just worked...

Anyway, I've used a mac once or twice now, I kinda like it, I feel so much more comfortable with it than windows, but it still feels wrong somehow :(

Castor68
April 15th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Solaris, OpenSolaris and PCBSD.

I tried Kolibri and Menuet (totally assembler both of them) but they don't have enogh support (for now). We'll see in the future.

Giant Speck
April 15th, 2009, 01:37 AM
is vista any quicker after service pack 2?

Are you talking about the real Vista SP2 or Windows 7?

Mokoma
April 15th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Are you talking about the real Vista SP2 or Windows 7?

the REAL service pack lol

Castor68
April 15th, 2009, 01:44 AM

hahahahahahahaaa ....

IHeartMyiBook
April 15th, 2009, 01:46 AM

LoL! >.<

Giant Speck
April 15th, 2009, 01:50 AM
the REAL service pack lol

Ah, okay. I'm interested in what improvements that's going to bring. I heard it's in RC stage right now. I hope it's released before Windows 7 is.

Stupendoussteve
April 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I am fond of FreeBSD if I am not using GNU/Linux. I don't have a problem with Windows either, and have a few systems running it.

Windows 7 and Windows Vista Home Premium.

But that's only because Ubuntu is the only non-Windows operating system I have ever used. Once I get my new computer, I want to try out OpenSolaris and BSD and possibly some other Linux distros.

You could try some out in VirtualBox in the meantime.

gnomeuser
April 15th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I have used Linux exclusively for over a decade. I have also dabbled with FreeBSD back when they were developing 5.0 and it is admittingly very nice. I tried openSolaris a while back as well and it does have nice features.

However I think that my favourite OS isn't going to be anything that is currently ready for the desktop currently. I think when we do move on from Linux it should be to something that is fundamentally better designed for security and stability. It should be a chance to rethink a lot of our decisions since the 60's, computers are nowhere near the same now as they were then and yet the base ideas we use still are grounded in assumptions from decades ago.

I quite like the idea of SharpOS, having the entire thing written in C# using a microkernel design gives us unpresidented stability and security. The performance of something like Singularitys Software Isolated Processes turns out to be better than hardware isolation as well as being more flexible, so I doubt the overall performance hit of such a system would be as high as one might expect.

You could do a virtualization type approach to get support for legacy code during the transfer to this new world order, so it would not be as painful as one might expect. Which would be a solution to that objection to a major change like this, we aren't going to get everything rewritten overnight, expecting that would be foolish.

I am convinced Microsoft will take this direction somehow after Windows 7, it will be a long development process but it was started long ago as well, Singlarity e.g. has been in development for years. They have several additional developments in progress to indicate this is the direction for their future long term. I am hoping we will see Free Software follow along with something similar, be that investments in SharpOS to bring it steady development or something all together different.

Giant Speck
April 15th, 2009, 01:59 AM
You could try some out in VirtualBox in the meantime.

I don't like to use VirtualBox. I don't even like to use LiveCDs. I like the real deal.

swoll1980
April 15th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I like PC-BSD If there were no Linux that's where I would be.

Paqman
April 15th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Windows XP.

It ain't very secure and it ain't very pretty and it ain't even very user friendly, but it's got a kicking games library, and it makes a lot more sense to run your games on the lighter XP than on Vista. Can't see myself switching from XP until I absolutely have to.

sekinto
April 15th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Mac OS X...
It is Unix.
It comes with many tools for developers.
It has a nice interface.
In is quite stable.
Lots of easy-to-use software already installed.
More compatible with Linux than Windows is.
Cocoa.

BazookaAce
April 15th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Mac OSX :)

Bölvağur
April 15th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I would say free bds but I still havent installed it and used it as my main os so the obvious option is the one in capital letters.

blithen
April 15th, 2009, 03:02 AM
As many reasons as to why I switched from windows, there is probably if not the same amount or more reasons as to why it's my favorite besides linux.

original_jamingrit
April 15th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Haiku is pretty cool. It first got my attention when I had heard that unlike Linux or Windows, Haiku (and BeOS from which it was derived) was inteneded simply as a Desktop OS.

itsStephen
April 15th, 2009, 04:50 AM
os x

I like it more than Linux to be honest. It's just that Macs are so damn expensive it's not worth it.

HermanAB
April 15th, 2009, 05:01 AM
CP/M 86 of course. What else?

joey-elijah
April 15th, 2009, 05:12 AM
OS X is a joy to use - especially after several hours spent battling some random f*ck up in Linux! It's nice that it requires literally no effort from the user. Ahh..

A bit like Windows 7! It truly is a revolution for the Windows OS. it's so stable, easy and fun (!) to use.

motang
April 15th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I love the 8 year old OS, Windows XP Professional (with SP3 of course). It's stable and solid in the right hands, works well, and pretty much secure if you know how to run it. Plus I can run majority of my favorite apps on it. :)

Oh I am starting to warm up to Windows 7!

Newuser1111
April 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows XP Home Edition

billgoldberg
April 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM
If you put it like that, I say the title should be:

Favourite OS besides GNU/Linux.

Mine would be Windows, as that's the one I have most experience with besides Linux.

If by some miracle Linux would disappear I would switch to OpenSolaris of FreeBSD.

joshdudeha
April 15th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Mac OS X
Everything just seems to work.

Yes; it does have its hitches (ugh, that bloody beach ball thingy when it crashes is annoying).
But, everything seems to be easier.

I would have Linux any day though.

yugure
April 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Mac OS X is my mistress. Everything works so well and it's rare that I've ever had a problem on it. I enjoy how consistent everything is while moving between applications, something from which, I feel, Linux distributions and Windows could learn.

elCabron
April 15th, 2009, 09:56 AM
AmigaOS :D

cmay
April 15th, 2009, 10:21 AM
open-solaris. i like it very much and once used it for a period of 6 month.
i also like bsd but have not used it so much.
i like to play with systems such as MINIX3 but those systems are not suitable for everyday use so i cant say that is my favorite OS of choice other than LINUX.

Ticketoride
April 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Win98SE, Win2K, Windows XP Pro SP3 ... all OK.
Prefer Win98 on a 2.8 ... Speed Demon.

Chame_Wizard
April 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM
FreeBSD

dspari1
April 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
If I had to choose, I would go with Solaris because I rather have my OS be owned by Sun Microsystems than be part of an OS where all of its ideas and features can freely be stolen and used in other OSes because of that atrocity BSD license.

Dragonbite
April 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Windows XP is alright. I'm using it for work and there are some things I wish were ported to Linux but I think I'm going to pass out if I try holding my breath (Visual Studio for VB.NET and VB variety of ASP.NET with GUI building).

There are other things, but I've managed to survive with the Linux variants so far.

Sand & Mercury
April 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I love OS X and I would probably use it over Linux if I could ever afford it.

Barrucadu
April 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
FreeBSD, I had it on my laptop for a short while early last year when I was distro hopping and quite liked it.

Swagman
April 15th, 2009, 04:02 PM
AmigaOS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSAhR7uXcCc&feature=channel_page) <----