PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Market share

burnetbj
April 15th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Hello People

Just wanted to get a good idea of people are thinking and what direction they think Linux in general needs to do to gain market share.

I personally work in the health care side of things and would like to see Linux to provide a platform in which (MEDITECH) can run nativly in I know this isnt Linux fault but if they could get the most used medical application used world wide to run, i truly believe there would be massive adoption

I have been using Linux for a few years now and i would say I am still struggling with it.....Im still learning and plan to stick with it from here out .....i truly enjoy using it ....and Have seen the programmers make huge gains in such a short time very impressive.

If you could take a few seconds to vote either way I was hoping this may trigger a few people that can make a difference take the steps needed to get Meditech to work in Linux

Mokoma
April 15th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Hello People

Just wanted to get a good idea of people are thinking and what direction they think Linux in general needs to do to gain market share.

I personally work in the health care side of things and would like to see Linux to provide a platform in which (MEDITECH) can run nativly in I know this isnt Linux fault but if they could get the most used medical application used world wide to run, i truly believe there would be massive adoption

I have been using Linux for a few years now and i would say I am still struggling with it.....Im still learning and plan to stick with it from here out .....i truly enjoy using it ....and Have seen the programmers make huge gains in such a short time very impressive.

If you could take a few seconds to vote either way I was hoping this may trigger a few people that can make a difference take the steps needed to get Meditech to work in Linux

simplicity, compatability and compliance

0per4t0r
April 15th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Ubuntu could save lives. It's just soo.. can I have a moment alone.....:cry:

anyway, yes! Ubuntu should definitely be involved in hospitals. It's more reliable than windows, so health care may become cheaper.

Anyway, to get this software going, all we need is some volunteers willing to do it.

Chemical Imbalance
April 15th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I think that would be awesome, considering how alarming it is to hear reports in the news of hospital computers infected with viruses. I hate to think what damage that could be doing....Linux machines (or BSD) in hospitals would be very comforting.

0per4t0r
April 15th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I think that would be awesome, considering how alarming it is to hear reports in the news of hospital computers infected with viruses. I hate to think what damage that could be doing....Linux machines (or BSD) in hospitals would be very comforting.

Definitely agreed there. If you want to prevent hackers, you have to think like them. Linux is the hacker OS. (Both the bad hackers and the good hackers. good hackers are lobbyist programmers who wish to better the world with open software, and bad hackers are actually called "crackers," who gain unauthorized access, damage computer systems, crack codes, deface websites, create viruses, and so on.)

Simian Man
April 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Linux (or other Unix) should definitely be used, but not Ubuntu specifically.

BazookaAce
April 15th, 2009, 02:49 AM
100% yes for the moment :P

Paqman
April 15th, 2009, 03:00 AM
if they could get the most used medical application used world wide to run, i truly believe there would be massive adoption

Realistically, if this is a Windows app/system you're talking about then even if it were ported to Linux you're not likely to see a huge shift. Getting someone to change their platform is a massive deal, and they'll only go through all that upheaval if there's a tangible benefit. Going through change in a large organisation is difficult and expensive.

burnetbj
April 15th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Well I understand it would be a change in a big way but I also see that we buy massive amounts of hardware in a Hospital. For each desktop we put out there are approx $800 in hardware, and $500 in software this is each device.

When I work on these people machines I can honestly tell you that all the nurses stations, wallmounts (laptops) and carts (laptops) are used 100% with Meditech/IE/Outlook.

I can also tell you that 80% of the Dr's machines are used 100% on Meditech/variable image viewing software/IE

To wrap this up what I am trying to say is that the expensive part is the teaching of the admins, as the users couldnt tell you if they were using IE or Fire fox or Meditech on windows or linux and one email system is the same as another.

Is it really necessary to spend $500 per device to use the OS when they really dont use the OS to that extent and partial of the software cost is to protect it against infection (symantec)

There are some specialty apps that would just not work. But there doesnt need to be a 100% linux Hospital, they could just go like a 80% - 20% as most of them would work fine. For alot of the software such as Meditech and Outlook and image viewing has already been tested to work by Citrix and Webmail so I can seriously see this working with the right people and I can see the adoption when people realize they couldnt tell you what OS they use at all.

Recently we had a Department meeting where we had a Meditech representative tell us there is a wide spread of recent adoption in EU with Meditech. It is the most widely used here in the US and I just think Canonical should be beating the streets with information at hospitals and atleast confronting meditech to see if this could even be an option

Certainly if Paris police, Chinese GOV, Russian GOV can make the switch, it certainly must be a possibility , however I do see your point of this to be a not so easy task