PDA

View Full Version : Xfce pronunciation

dragos240
April 15th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I know it's pronounced (ex eff see ee), but I feel it's pronounced (ex fise) rhyming with mice, how do you pronounce it? Move to the recurring discussions forum.

Sealbhach
April 15th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Ex Face? That's what i call it.

myusername
April 15th, 2009, 01:16 AM
i haxe always called it X-FACE. but i call xubuntu ZOO-BUN-TOO

RiceMonster
April 15th, 2009, 01:22 AM
I'm pretty sure it's pronounced Ex-Ef-See-Eee, or at least that's what I say because It originally stood for X Forms Common Environment.

As for Xubuntu, I say Zoobuntoo as well.

Stupendoussteve
April 15th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Wikipedia says: ɛks ɛf siː'i (X F C E).

Not surprising.

I don't say Ubuntu correctly and probably never will. I think the "bun" sound sounds better. Bad me. :eek:

I haven't seen many (any?) Linux/Unix applications where the X sound is actually pronounced and not just saying the letter.

.Maleficus.
April 15th, 2009, 01:28 AM
X-F-C-E is what I say, along with Zoo-buntu.

Kingsley
April 15th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I pronounce it 'turtle'. And X F C E on occasion.

dragos240
April 15th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Why? It's faster than gnome or kde.

mthei
April 15th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I had always said X-F-C-E, but I had never thought of saying it any other way. Although I had never thought of saying anything like "X-Face" or "X-fice". That sort of blew my mind, actually.

CharmyBee
April 15th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Ex-Fizzy.

perpetualcacophany
April 15th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I always say X-Face. I never really thought about alternatives.

doorknob60
April 15th, 2009, 03:06 AM
X-F-C-E, the same way you would say K-D-E (not keduh or something lol). Just say the letters :)

swoll1980
April 15th, 2009, 03:44 AM
x-f-c-e

Kareeser
April 15th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Interesting observation.

I'll say zoo-buntu (as in, "hot dog bun" bun), but I'll pronounce ubuntu as (oo-boon-too).

Weird.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 15th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I've taken to calling it X-F-see because it still holds some resemblance to the real abbreviation but is super easy to pronounce :)

gn2
April 15th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Why? It's faster than gnome or kde.

But is it really faster?
It occupies less RAM, but on a PC/Laptop with a reasonable spec does it actually make any discernible difference?
I don't think it does.

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I know it's pronounced (ex eff see ee), but I feel it's pronounced (ex fise) rhyming with mice, how do you pronounce it? Move to the recurring discussions forum.

I've seen it in my mind as "ex if iss"

It was years before I found out Gnome was pronounced with the G. I still can't get used to that.

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
But is it really faster?
It occupies less RAM, but on a PC/Laptop with a reasonable spec does it actually make any discernible difference?
I don't think it does.

I don't think it does on modern hardware. It can actually increase RAM usage if you're using Gnome or KDE apps along with it as is shown here (http://ktown.kde.org/%7Eseli/memory/desktop_benchmark.html).

kevdog
April 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I know it doesn't make sense since it transposes the letters, but I always like the pronunciation:
X-cafe
Kind of like Nescafe (tea).
The cu-fe, not ca-fe makes it sound more professional and snobbish.

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 08:13 AM
X-F-C-E, the same way you would say K-D-E (not keduh or something lol). Just say the letters :)

It'd be more obvious if it were spelled in all caps.

Eisenwinter
April 15th, 2009, 09:11 AM
X-f-c

billgoldberg
April 15th, 2009, 09:15 AM
For some reason I always read it as (never said it out loud I think) as

E-X-V

benj1
April 15th, 2009, 09:27 AM
X F ice (rhymes with office)

I've seen it in my mind as "ex if iss"

It was years before I found out Gnome was pronounced with the G. I still can't get used to that.

didn't know that, always thought it was a silent 'G' (suppose it makes sense as in GNU)

i probably pronounce lots of the names wrongly though, only actually seeing them written

Sealbhach
April 15th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Sort of related, I've seen a video where the /etc folder is pronounced "et-see" as it et+C as in "et cetera".

calrogman
April 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM

But if that happened we'd have people asking what XFCE stood for instead of creating useless threads like this! Oh wait...

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
But if that happened we'd have people asking what XFCE stood for instead of creating useless threads like this! Oh wait...
Xfce
Fetal
Cyborg
Experience

Uh oh! :p

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 09:35 PM
i probably pronounce lots of the names wrongly though, only actually seeing them written

I'm sure many of us do. It's what happens when we only experience the written words - especially acronyms. Take URL, the first time I heard someone pronounce it similarly to the name "Earle" I didn't know if he was right or not. I still don't. I've always pronounced it U-R-L.

WatchingThePain
April 15th, 2009, 09:37 PM
When I return from the pub I pronounce it xurcksef cdeeeesh.

RiceMonster
April 15th, 2009, 09:39 PM

It's not capitalized because it doesn't stand for anything anymore, now that it uses gtk instead of x forms.

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
It's not capitalized because it doesn't stand for anything anymore, now that it uses gtk instead of x forms.
I see! What was it? X Forms (something) Environment?

RiceMonster
April 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM
X Forms Common Environment

CraigPaleo
April 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM
When I return from the pub I pronounce it xurcksef cdeeeesh.

I've got to hear that! When you get home tonight, after the pub, could you please upload an audio file for us?

benj1
April 16th, 2009, 08:07 AM
X Forms Common Environment

you still haven't told us what the X stands for ;)