PDA

View Full Version : Redownloading DLC onto new xbox

SpenceMakesSense
April 14th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I know this isn't the Ideal place to post this but I don't feel the need to make a new account on some xbox forums site for one question.

My current 360's disc drive is shot. I went to best buy to return it and take advantage of my 2 year warranty. They said though that they need my hard drive. I was worried about keeping my dlc but they said it would be fine, they could just transfer it over. I thought, "great, no problems there" but he continued on to explain it was $50. So thats out of the question. ( I would figure the sort of thing would be covered by the warranty but it is geek squad taking care of this.)

If I were to get this new xbox. Can I just redownload all my dlc onto it and it would all work. I've read about some licensing transfer thing but I also hear thats for transferring from one gamertag to another so I'm not entirely sure what to do. \\

Any enlightenment on this would be great :D

thegreenblob
April 14th, 2009, 11:35 PM
You can re download all your stuff through the download history linked to your gamertag.

But I believe without the license transfer thing you have to be signed in online with the account you bought/downloaded the stuff with or you cannot play it. (So no playing arcade games or DLC maps etc offline)

bashveank
April 14th, 2009, 11:40 PM
But I believe without the license transfer thing you have to be signed in online with the account you bought/downloaded the stuff with or you cannot play it. (So no playing arcade games or DLC maps etc offline)

That's an interesting one, it seems to work on and off. Like some arcade games I can play offline, some I can only get the demoes.
And some DLC of mine works fine offline, the exact same DLC doesn't work on my friend's box when he's offline.

SpenceMakesSense
April 14th, 2009, 11:40 PM
thats no good. Well I guess its my only choice though. So I can redownload all my dlc and then use that license transfer thing afterwords?

thegreenblob
April 14th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I've never actually did a license transfer on mine so I'm not sure. But I think in order to do it you need to have access to the old hard drive and/or console. I'm not sure, but I found this:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

SpenceMakesSense
April 15th, 2009, 12:09 AM
I found this video on the site

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/D42744BA-71F6-4710-B397-FEF9D7A49802/0/vidlicenseTransferNXEHi.asx

Didn't see much in regards to needing my old xbox. But im just coming to realize that a lot of the dlc I want to actually keep (rock band dlc) is on my brother account. Where he used a fake email and can't remember his password. Wonderful.

SpenceMakesSense
April 15th, 2009, 12:56 AM
In regards to my brothers profile. What if I moved it to a memory card. Then when I got me new xbox moved it back onto that? Has anyone ever tried this?