PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install eclipse and java into ubuntu

tamas305
April 14th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I am a Java programmer and I heard that Ubuntu was very developer friendly so I installed it onto my 8gb usb drive (full install, with functional windows partition (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1116206&highlight=tamas305)). I downloaded the eclipse sdk onto my computer and than used a rather strenuous terminal install to install java runtime environment onto my computer. However when I run eclipse, it gets an error message...

"A Java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK)
must be available in order to run Eclipse. No Java virtual machine
was found after searching the following locations:
/media/OS/eclipse/jre/bin/java
java in your current PATH"

It says that it search a location at that address however eclipse does not have a jre subfolder, what gives?

Thanks beforehand
-tamas

madmaxo
April 14th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Ubuntu provides eclipse in its repositories and should install all dependencies including java automatically. Are you installing the Ubuntu-provided package? (In Applications -> Add/Remove Software)

Bakon Jarser
April 14th, 2009, 10:36 PM
He probably wants the latest version, not the one in the repos. Check out this tutorial.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=941461&highlight=eclipse

tamas305
April 14th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I went to eclipse's website and downloaded it from one of the mirror sites, I think it was the first one. However I managed to figure it out, just in case anyone cares (this also works for installing the java plugin for firefox 3).

1) Boot up Ubuntu and open up a terminal (Applications --> Accessories -- > Terminal)

2) Type

sudo su

3) Enter your password, you will not see what you enter (a security feature)

4) Type

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

5) Agree to the license agreement and let it install, restart firefox or any other program that needs JAVA and it should work

-tamas