PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying but still can not get install screen:(

wanderingarticfox
April 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Ok, I've rebuilt my system after messing up and doing a clean or fresh instal. I've checked the CD I got in the mail and it is fine. I did the 'try ubuntu without changing my computer' and that went ok up to the log in screen which I have no password for. I downloaded ISO from MIT site and it is good, however I had to scub it off my desktop because the refered CD burnner took prisioner of my CD-RW [I mean it no longer showed up in my windows 'MY Computer' listing. So I uninstalled the burnner, trashed and deleted the ISO and went back to boot from CD with the CD from Shipit; you know the Netherlands. This time I think](*,)well I do not have a password I'll try F4 and 'Safe/Graphical' instalation](*,)](*,) I get the screen with the bar going back and forth, then it goes to a 'load' bar [I figure there might be some configuration going on] Then I get the screens of numbers and data, doing this not doing that and unlike the 'try without change' mode that eventually gave me a log in screen for 'passsword' This time it stops around 727.@#* or something and I wait](*,)](*,)](*,)](*,)after 15 minutes it still is just blinking and thinking. Not wanting to repeat rebuilding my os of XP I use the trusted paperclip and eject the CD, sysem defualts to the Windows in boot and I'm now here begging for help. I see the screen shot in the many instructional pages of the documentation of install but the one time I booted from CD and selected instal I did a clean instal, I am nervious about that selection and since I do not get the screens shown I am trying to figure out how to install Ubuntu. The safe Graphical did not work under F4, any suggestions for a different try?:redface:

Further note; the Infa Recorder gave me trouble in above mention. I have now procured the ISORecorder that might play nice with my Dinasour.
I would appreciate any advice and will check back later. I'm going to set up to reaquire the ISO online and my 1500+ with 1GB RAM does better with large files alone on download.
Just hoping to get to the instalation screens for partitioning and so forth. I guess clean install to second HDD is an option but I'm not sure how to do that; I think I would need GRUB first?

wanderingarticfox
April 15th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I figured it out; I now have a Dual Boot system with 8.10 up and running. Now the fun can start and the learning too](*,)\\:D/