PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there anyway I can mess up my computer using Wubi?

Nicka727
April 14th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I want to install ubuntu on my computer, If I select 5gb and install ubuntu using Wubi, is there any way I can mess up my computer?

inobe
April 14th, 2009, 10:20 PM
i guess it depends on the working status of windows' or if windows has undergone poor maintenance.

i tried wubi once and didn't have any problems installing or removing.

of course it's a must to backup all your important data when installing anything on windows "anything"

make sure system restore is enabled and it works, make sure viruses, rootkits, malware, trojans, spyware, bots didn't release their payload on your system.

if your having previous problems adding and removing and programs' have that fixed first.

if your having any hardware related issues like bsod's or errors on your hard disk etc....

installing anything on windows is a risk when the system hasn't been properly maintained.

Idefix82
April 14th, 2009, 10:28 PM
You can mess up your computer big time using Windows (which is implied by using Wubi) ;)

If you want to be more secure from not messing up then install Ubuntu as a stand alone OS. Personal experience: my wife downloaded a font under Windows, two boots later Windows was destroyed. There was a root kit, a trojan, viruses, anything you might wish for. I had an up to date antivirus, a firewall and the newest Windows updates. My salvation: I have a standalone Ubuntu installation.

Mark Phelps
April 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I want to install ubuntu on my computer, If I select 5gb and install ubuntu using Wubi, is there any way I can mess up my computer?

Ok, to give you a less facetious answer ... it is POSSIBLE to mess up your computer using Wubi. Now, before the Wubi fans jump in here and flame me to death over this, consider the frequents posts we get here that begin with "I installed Ubuntu inside windows and now my PC won't <start/boot/run ... etc>".

So, if it was not POSSIBLE, then we wouldn't get any posts like this.

Having said that, I will also say that it's unlikely to happen -- but to be safe (meaning, to protect what you have presently in your MS Windows setup), you should image it off to external drive before you do anything to it. And, before you ask, System Restore (MS) will NOT do this for you -- all it does is save a copy of system files.

If you want a FREE app for doing this imaging, check out Clonezilla from the distrowatch.com website.

Penguin Guy
April 15th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Sure; just delete the system32 folder.
:lolflag:
Serious answer: Yes, but it's pretty hard to do it accidentally.