PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 128 Mb Ram

patoporteņo
April 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I have a Pc with pentium and 128 MbRam , what is the version of Ubuntu that supports this Ram

kerry_s
April 14th, 2009, 07:46 PM
server.

ubuntu is a modern os made for modern hardware.
you can make it work, but it won't be fast. look here:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

you should consider faster distros, geared towards the low end.
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Old+computers&origin=All&basedon=All&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active

snowpine
April 14th, 2009, 07:46 PM
No version of Ubuntu will support hardware that old very well, unfortunately.

Try: Puppy, DSL (Damn Small Linux), SliTaz loram, Deli, etc.--they are designed specifically for older computers.

gjoellee
April 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I would say Puppy is a little to light for 128MB RAM. Arch Linux with a lightweight desktop environment as E17, Fluxbox, Openbox, IceWM, Blackbox will run very well in in that amount of RAM. I am not sure about Xfce.

You can run all desktop environments without using a lot of resources in Arch. I run KDE 4.2.2 in about 270MB RAM, but on the same computer i run Kubuntu 9.04 in about 1gb RAM.

I recommend:
Arch Linux + Lightweight environment

I would recommend SliTaz if it had been more up-to-date. Because of the old versions of software I get a lot of issues with other parts of the system that is up-to-date. Eexample: SliTaz currently runs Firefox 3.0.4 which means that flash 10 does not work, and flash 9 and 8 crashes all the time.

Loetje
April 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM
i would definitely recommend puppy linux.
And what about crunch bang linux, (based on ubuntu)..?

0cton
April 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM
you can try xubuntu

kerry_s
April 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I have a Pc with pentium and 128 MbRam , what is the version of Ubuntu that supports this Ram

i got to ask, a pentium what? 1,2,3,4
floppy, cdrom, usb? can they boot?
the more details you give the more you can be helped, other wise people will just suggest all kinds of things, the thread will grow long with suggestions that can't work.
for example:
a pentium 1 60mhz to 300mhz your going to have to go old school on
pentium 2 233mhz to 450mhz, better but still very limited
etc...