PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't login to the gnome desktop

colinm44
April 14th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Long story...
I install Ubuntu 10.? on a Intel Quad 64 bit computer. The installation went well up until the point I installed the ATI Video drivers. Then I never saw the desktop again, just the terminal prompt to login. I tried all kinds of things then I finally got into it under Kernal .7. Then I restarted computer and didn't see desktop again.

I did a soft re-install (installed over what I had). The install went great, it replaced the system files, kept my settings and it brought up the gnome login screen. Thought I was home free.

The usb mouse was lit but wouldn't move, I couldn't type anything into the login name. All under Kernal .14 But I could use Ctl Alt Del to restart the computer. Finally got to Kernal .7 and it works flawlessly.

What is wrong with the mouse and keyboard that I can't login with Kernal .14 at the gnome login screen.

Thanks, Colin

killerdogg77
April 14th, 2009, 07:38 PM
try reinstalling your video driver

colinm44
April 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks, but I didn't re-install the ATI drivers, I just did a reinstall which should have installed the generic drivers. I just found it funny that it works under Kernal .14 and not .7 or .11