PDA

View Full Version : Which distro on a small 10'' Lenovo IdeaPad S10e

Tilex
April 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hi fellows !

I just bought a new 10'' Lenovo IdeaPad S10e (and am very excited about it!), and I'm wondering which distro I'm going to install.

The specs are the following:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/images/article/inline/9889-ft.gif

I've been a Ubuntu/Kubuntu user for the last 4 years, and I'm wondering if it's the best choice for this notebook.

I'd like to a have a light distro so everything runs fast, my battery lasts long, but at the same time I want my hardware to be recognized (builtin camera + microphone).

Any ideas?!

Thanks !
Alex

Kevbert
April 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM
You could try Xubuntu as it will work reasonably well (provided you don't try running compiz). Ubuntu will be a little slow and Kubuntu even s-l-o-w-e-r. You could also try Puppy.

Mehall
April 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Crunchbang!!!

Full Distro, with all the Ubuntu repo's behind it, yet fast, since it runs Openbox :D

snowpine
April 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Crunchbang!!!

Full Distro, with all the Ubuntu repo's behind it, yet fast, since it runs Openbox :D

+1; I use CrunchBang on my 9" Dell Mini!
If the hardware/software works in Ubuntu, it should work in CrunchBang too, same core system. But streamlined to be light on system resources, screen real estate, etc.

Tilex
April 15th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Crunchbang !
Awsome, I never heard about this distro ...

If you are to run a light distro, what distinguishes it the most from a normal distro ?
Is it the "visual effects" ? Less services (processes) running in the background ?

Thanks for the info guys !

Alex

Tilex
April 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Also, is Ubuntu supporting most of built-in hardware (like camera, microphone) ?

k@e
April 15th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I run Ubuntu 8.10 on an S10e and basically everything works out of the box. I do rarely use the micro and cam but I have tested both and confirm that they also work.

billgoldberg
April 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I use Jaunty on my netbook, runs fast and smooth (after some tweaks for ssd).

usprey
April 22nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
I use Jaunty on my netbook, runs fast and smooth (after some tweaks for ssd).

Would you please elaborate on tweaks for SSD.

I'm considering buying this netbook in the 4GB SSD + 80GB 5400RPM configuration, so would like to hear your experiences with it.

I also would like to know if I should use std. Jaunty or netbook remix.

And finally how should I partition the harddrives when there is two disks? Should swap be on the SSD or the 80GB? My reasoning says the 80GB hence the SSD is so relatively small.

gnomeuser
April 22nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Easy Peasy (http://www.geteasypeasy.com/) perhaps would make a good candidate for a netbook.

wolfen69
April 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
regular jaunty should work well on it.

usprey
April 22nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
hehe, thx for the fast replies!

On a second thought, I don't really need the netbook until after summer, and I just found out about the next IdeaPad-series with nVidia Ion-chip and larger screens! =)

Regards

thedigger
April 26th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Should swap be on the SSD or the 80GB? My reasoning says the 80GB hence the SSD is so relatively small.

Yeah, on the 80gb, but for different reasons.

SSDs have a finite number of read/writes (it's in the hundreds of thousands, but you'll get there eventually), so if you're constantly swapping to/from it you'll kill the drive eventually.

Tilex
April 27th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I finally chose Crunchbag Linux but it seems very unstable ...

The power manager applet never actually worked well, and it seems to take ages for my system to boot up (slow HD?).

I might try Xubuntu instead.

Hoora
April 29th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Ubuntu netbook remix 9.04 hasn't failed once on me, yet. *knockin wood*

So if you're looking for stability, I might suggest UNR. The performance is quite good too if you compare it to what you get in exchange: a full desktop environment. I'm gonna attach the bootchart later on, would be interesting to do a comparison. IMO the boot times are not so bad.

edit:
boot to grub, 21sec
grub to desktop ready 20sec

slafko
May 13th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Ubuntu Netbook Remix (Jaunty) is working very well, all hardware is supported.

Only power management is not working (don't show remaining battery time). If anyone know how to fix it it would be great!

LowSky
May 13th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I have a Lenovo S10, its running 9.04 UNR Perfectly... but then again I added 2GB or RAM, so my results may be different

pwnst*r
May 13th, 2009, 06:54 AM
another vote for #!

pwnst*r
May 13th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Ubuntu Netbook Remix (Jaunty) is working very well, all hardware is supported.

Only power management is not working (don't show remaining battery time). If anyone know how to fix it it would be great!

and that's a big deal. you make it sound like it's not :/

ashmew2
May 13th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Since i Read "small" in the thread title , i couldnt stop myself : Use DSL ( Damn Small Linux) xD

On second thoughts , Jaunty's the way to go :D

slafko
May 13th, 2009, 08:45 AM
and that's a big deal. you make it sound like it's not :/

I just tried UNR on my laptop (hp 530) and power manager is working and shows remaining battery time.

I don't know why it doesn't work on lenovo ideapad s10.

slafko
May 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Very simple solution for power manager (battery state):

After installation disengage a battery and then again plug in and start UNR.

Toshibawarrior
May 26th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I thought I'd drop by here...I have a Lenovo Ideapad S10e 4187-2PU and I have a dual-boot with XP and Ubuntu UNR and as far as I've seen/checked everything works except the microphone.

Is anyone familiar with a fix for this?...:popcorn:

I'm really looking forward to fixing this...