PDA

View Full Version : What Are The Chances Of YouTube Et Al Adopting HTML5?

Mark76
April 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM
No, slim or fat?

unoodles
April 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I would say pretty slim at first.
Most likely they will wait for browsers to fully support it before they even try.
Even then, the chances are not very high.

Mark76
April 14th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I wonder if that means waiting for IE? Or will html5 adoption by Firefox, Safari, Opera and Chrome be enough?

zekopeko
April 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM
when you count other browser in i would say that there is a rather good chance that youtube will give you the video tag element for standard definition films.

it's rather easy to put HTML5 videos in the webpage for those browser that support it and flash for the rest.

BackwardsDown
April 14th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I dont think so. Cause how about the adverts at the bottom of the screen? Or the related video's at the end.

bp1509
April 14th, 2009, 06:51 PM
d

zekopeko
April 14th, 2009, 07:19 PM
honestly, they dont have any reason to change whatsoever. A lot more can be done with flash than with ogg at the moment as well and it would take a massive overhaul of a massive website with so many TBs of data it'd make your headswim.

I'm not saying a slim chance, I'm saying zero.

That being said, it'd be nice if there was a free alternative to youtube. We have identi.ca, we have libre.fm coming up, how about freetube? ;)

actually you can do some pretty amazing things with the video tag using javascript. all of the features in the flash player can be done with javascript.

mozilla even demonstrated face and movement recognition using the video tag and javascript.

storage isn't a problem for youtube. consider this: they have all of the original videos that were uploaded (before being transcoded to flv) , then they have the transcoded flv's both in SD and HD quality and then they have the transcoded videos for the iphone/ipod touch in h.264 format + redundant copies of all of the videos.

i think that storage isn't even a problem for google.

jokerejoker
May 28th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Have seen http://www.youtube.com/html5 ? :D

billgoldberg
May 28th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Have seen http://www.youtube.com/html5 ? :D

Just downloaded firefox 3.5 beta to view this but it doesn't seem to work.

Even though other html5 demos, like the ones from opera, do work.

billgoldberg
May 28th, 2009, 12:43 PM
That being said, it'd be nice if there was a free alternative to youtube. We have identi.ca, we have libre.fm coming up, how about freetube? ;)

http://tinyvid.tv/

All ogg, all the time, using the HTML 5 video tags.

Tibuda
May 28th, 2009, 12:50 PM
When HTML 7 is out.

jokerejoker
May 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Just downloaded firefox 3.5 beta to view this but it doesn't seem to work.

Even though other html5 demos, like the ones from opera, do work.

But the thing is that they are working on it, and therefore confirms the original post ;)

3rdalbum
May 28th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Which HTML 5 are you talking about?

If you're talking about the HTML 5 standard that I created back when the W3C was going gaga over XHTML, then there's no chance :-)

If you're talking about the HTML 5 standard proposed by browser manufacturers and grudgingly supported by the W3C, then I'm sure it will eventually happen. But I think Youtube will continue with the Flash video unless HTML 5 has a better way of securing video files to stop downloads.