PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disk Management with Dual boot Vista/Ubuntu

feb3
April 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Please could someone advise re disk management for dual boot Vista/Ubuntu?
I purchased a laptop with a 160GB hard drive (one partition only) for the above purpose.
I shrunk this partition to create a second of 66.5GB for Ubuntu.
Got it installed using guided install and Ubuntu resizd it to 50%for the installation i.e. 33.30GB.
I uninstalled Ubuntu from within Windows by deletion and repaired Vista to boot straight into it - no problems with that.
Now I have the C Partition of 113GB and 33.33GB of free space.
I remember that after there was another bit of free space which allowed me to delete it and it was taken up.
Now this free space does not want to be made into a simple volume.
Everytime I input the figures - advised 8 to 34129 MB it comes back with not enough space. Kept reducing it and got down to 18GB and still reckons not enough space.
The option for extending the C partition back to how it was is not offered on the right-click menu.
If I try to delete the free space it says it will become inaccessible.
Ideally, would like to restore it to as it was in the first place. Could someone please tell me how to do it?

Mark Phelps
April 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Ideally, would like to restore it to as it was in the first place. Could someone please tell me how to do it?

Not sure what "in the first place" means: (1) Just Vista, or (2) Vista with Ubuntu installed inside it?

And, how are you trying to resize: (1) using Ubuntu Gparted, or (2) using Vista Disk Management?

feb3
April 15th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Thank you for your input Mark. Have now managed to sort it out thank goodness. Steep learning curve!