PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu doesn't create a DE ?

alket
April 14th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Why Ubuntu doesn't create its own Desktop Environment ?
Like UDE instead of Gnome and KDE, it would be very nice and uniqe though.

will1911a1
April 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Since there are already well supported and established DEs available they probably think that their time is better spent working on other things.

bashveank
April 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Cause it took us about three releases just to create a new /theme/ for an existing DE! :p

I agree though, a new DE, built from the ground up with today's ideals and techniques would be great. While we're at it, let's rebuild X too.

namegame
April 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
There are about 25 "major", "well-known", WMs/DEs that I know of. I doubt Ubuntu could come up something that some other DE doesn't already do. I'm not saying that the developers aren't creative enough, rather it seems that every possible option out there has been done.

juancarlospaco
April 14th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Mehall
April 14th, 2009, 05:02 PM
There are about 25 "major", "well-known", WMs/DEs that I know of. I doubt Ubuntu could come up something that some other DE doesn't already do. I'm not saying that the developers aren't creative enough, rather it seems that every possible option out there has been done.

There's no LCARS WM!!!

Thelasko
April 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Because it would make Ubuntu less compatible with other flavors of Linux and BSD.

binbash
April 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Waste of time in my opinion.It is better to concentrate on their own softwares like aport etc, not a DE.

MikeTheC
April 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
waste of time in my opinion.it is better to concentrate on their own softwares like aport etc, not a de.

+1

namegame
April 14th, 2009, 05:13 PM
There's no LCARS WM!!!

If you're talking about Star Trek, someone should definitely do that. :) Although we'd need some serious touch-screen functionality.

Pasdar
April 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I agree with you, but they should have started that in the beginning, not now. What they should do now is help gnome developers in making their product better/faster, etc (cooperation).

Mehall
April 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
If you're talking about Star Trek, someone should definitely do that. :) Although we'd need some serious touch-screen functionality.

Do like Bumptop does and have touch screen optional.

It'd be better with touch-screen, but still awesome with the mouse.

Any coders listening?!??! Please!??!

tom66
April 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
3D desktops fail, because they provide nothing more useful than a 2D desktop. I mean, you want to be disorganised? (see BumpTop for disorganised)

Mehall
April 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
3D desktops fail, because they provide nothing more useful than a 2D desktop. I mean, you want to be disorganised? (see BumpTop for disorganised)

LCARS would be flat, I was using the fact that Bumptop has both touch and mouse compatibility as an example.

markp1989
April 14th, 2009, 06:13 PM
if ubuntu was to make its own de, rather tehn starting from scratch, they could make a fork of gnome, with more moden features.

jumpstreet
April 14th, 2009, 06:42 PM
if ubuntu was to make its own de, rather tehn starting from scratch, they could make a fork of gnome, with more moden features.

that's kde

RiceMonster
April 14th, 2009, 07:23 PM
that's kde

What? KDE isn't a fork of GNOME. Infact, it came before GNOME.

jespdj
April 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Because we do not need another desktop environment. GNOME and KDE are both really good and work really well, and there's a lot of software written for both these desktop environments. Having a desktop environment unique to Ubuntu would make Ubuntu less compatible with other Linux distros, which is not good.

What's you idea behind proposing this? Just because you think would be cool to have a new desktop environment unique to Ubuntu?

Ubuntu Netbook Remix.
Is not a desktop environment besides GNOME or KDE; it is just a set of programs that run on top of GNOME.

Mehall
April 14th, 2009, 08:18 PM
What? KDE isn't a fork of GNOME. Infact, it came before GNOME.

I think jumpstreet was referring to the "more modern features" comment.

joey-elijah
April 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I agree with the need for a more intuitive touchscreen functionality - but that's mainly up to Gnome and KDE devs. Windows 7 is really finger-friendly, as is android ;)

Skripka
April 14th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Since there are already well supported and established DEs available they probably think that their time is better spent working on other things.

Yep. Why reinvent the wheel?

Pasdar
April 14th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Yep. Why reinvent the wheel?

Couldn't the same thing be said about the 12k Linux distro's?

h4mx0r
April 14th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Obviously the poster seems a bit discontent with each DE being a bit bland? I think it's about time you found how far the bunny hole goes! Let me recommend you to some current open source projects that might suit your taste.

-High graphics-
enlightenment

-Efficiency-
lxde

-Minimal-
fluxbox

-Alternative Display-
Xmonad

Skripka
April 14th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Couldn't the same thing be said about the 12k Linux distro's?

Most of those are forks from larger projects though-not straight out reinvention.

gymophett
May 2nd, 2009, 01:31 AM
That's be very nice.

PacSci
May 2nd, 2009, 03:13 AM
Whenever you create something that people use a lot and can use really well, you start developing EWS: The Editor Wars Syndrome. Basically, people get really used to a certain editor (or, in this case, DE) and become emotionally attached to the point of fanboyism and rabid forum postings. (I'm surprised there hasn't been a huge backlash from Ubuntu not having Emacs come with the standard package.)

If Ubuntu created its own DE, not ONLY would it have to reinvent so many wheels that it's not even funny, but they would suffer a lack of market share from GNOME/KDE/Xfce/LXDE/Fluxbox users, until someone rewrote everything. Ubuntu has enough to do with package management, bug tracking, and community building - why add creating such a major system component to their workload?

wersdaluv
May 2nd, 2009, 05:06 AM
because that would take too much effort and no one is willing. You can always start with it if you're willing and able.

Sublime Porte
May 2nd, 2009, 05:36 AM
Personally i think it's a great idea. And it wouldn't necessarily take that long to accomplish. Look at how quickly lxde for instance was put together. Obviously you'd wanna start out with an existing WM and extend it, then build your DE on top of it. OpenBox is a great lightweight WM, which is why it was chosen by lxde project. Gnome is very bulky and is carrying baggage from the past that could be eliminated in a new DE based on more current desktop ideas.

With that said, it probably would be a waste of time, no need to reinvent the wheel etc.... but it'd still be nice.