PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie Install Video

electromech31
April 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Hello
I am new to linux, and want to run EMC2. I have installed Ubunto from a Live CD. Did have a hard time with the video, had to pick and choose to get it to work. But it is running Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake on a IBM Netvista M 8307- 81U. My problem is that the video display is not right. Can some one walk me through the steps to install the proper driver? Remember I am new to the Linux world, read a couple of books but never got this far. Please help, need to automate.
):P

wpshooter
April 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Dapper Drake is relatively old version of Ubuntu. Why are you installing it instead of something more up-to-date, like Hardy or Intrepid ?

electromech31
April 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM
My main reason for installing Ubuntu is to run EMC2. Drapper drake is what was with this software http://www.linuxcnc.org/.

Therion
April 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM
You have the option of using either Dapper Drake (v6.06) or Hardy Heron (v8.04) with EMC2.

Since you haven't invested heavily in your installation up to this point I would strongly suggest you install 8.04 and continue from there.

electromech31
April 14th, 2009, 03:44 PM
would I have to o as far as format harddrive and a complete reinstall or just a upgrade?