PDA

View Full Version : HTML WYSIWYG editor for Ubuntu

adamitj
April 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I'm starting to work with some JSP pages. I need to create and deploy a couple of pages and (surprising!) in a very small piece of time...

As I abandoned MS Windows using only Ubuntu 8.10, I need desperately know if there is a WYSIWYG HTML editor for Linux - in special for Ubuntu - which could give me productivity in the same way as Macromedia Dreamweaver can...

_Purple_
April 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Why don't you install Dreamweaver using wine?

Tibuda
April 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I always suggest people to do their design with pure XHTML+CSS in your text editor, as it is not that hard/slow and is a lot more flexible, but if you really don't have time, these are the options I know:
Amaya (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/)
Quanta Plus (apt:quanta)
Kompozer (apt:kompozer)

adamitj
April 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Why don't you install Dreamweaver using wine?

The answer is our company philosophy. We're using opensource applications as long as we can, and if a tool cannot be switched to other opensource variant, we buy a license. For a while, Dreamweaver is out of the budget.

adamitj
April 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I always suggest people to do their design with pure XHTML+CSS in your text editor, as it is not that hard/slow and is a lot more flexible, but if you really don't have time, these are the options I know:
Amaya (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/)
Quanta Plus (apt:quanta)
Kompozer (apt:kompozer)

Thanks a lot. I didn't know about Quanta, it seems to be very flexible. Amaya and Kompozer I tried out, but didn't like too much.

Seti
April 14th, 2009, 02:45 PM
WYSIWYG .... yuck.
Just learn to code without that crap. Learn to use vi/vim; you will be thankful you did down the road.

adamitj
April 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM
WYSIWYG .... yuck.
Just learn to code without that crap. Learn to use vi/vim; you will be thankful you did down the road.

I wonder what HTML editor tools are used by people from Google, Yahoo! and so many others. Although I know that the best way is code myself, the question is time...

Tibuda
April 14th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I wonder what HTML editor tools are used by people from Google, Yahoo! and so many others. Although I know that the best way is code myself, the question is time...
If you have experience with XHTML+CSS, converting a GIMP mock-up to HTML is a lot faster than point-and-click in a WYSIWYG interface.

s.fox
April 14th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Thanks a lot. I didn't know about Quanta, it seems to be very flexible. Amaya and Kompozer I tried out, but didn't like too much.

Quanta Plus is my editor of chice at the moment. I like the user interface it offers, aswell as its features

hessiess
April 14th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Don't use WISIWYG editors, they produce awful HTML.

Krupski
April 14th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I'm starting to work with some JSP pages. I need to create and deploy a couple of pages and (surprising!) in a very small piece of time...

As I abandoned MS Windows using only Ubuntu 8.10, I need desperately know if there is a WYSIWYG HTML editor for Linux - in special for Ubuntu - which could give me productivity in the same way as Macromedia Dreamweaver can...

Check this out: http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/

-- Roger

tamas305
April 14th, 2009, 10:50 PM

I completely agree.

-tamas

0per4t0r
April 14th, 2009, 10:52 PM
For basic stuff, OpenOffice has a web page feature.

simeon87
April 15th, 2009, 12:22 AM

It would be interesting to see a WYSIWYG editor that does it correctly, either by cleaning up the generated HTML code afterwards (inefficient way of doing it) or by generated clean HTML from the start with no redundant tags or other messy constructions.

tturrisi
April 15th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Probably the best html editor for linux is Bluefish (http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/).
However, a text editor will do just fine.

tamas305
April 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM
For basic stuff, OpenOffice has a web page feature.

I'll give that a whirl and see what it is like.

-tamas

java + eclipse = happiness

measekite
April 15th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Please explain why.

Tibuda
April 15th, 2009, 10:51 PM
It would be interesting to see a WYSIWYG editor that does it correctly, either by cleaning up the generated HTML code afterwards (inefficient way of doing it) or by generated clean HTML from the start with no redundant tags or other messy constructions.

I wonder if Amaya does it, because it was created by W3C guys. Never checked it.