PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Maybe a silly question

noelc
April 14th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I am learning Linux and understand its a different way of thinking for but I dont understand how I can load programs from my CD,s or install them after downloading from the net. I,ve worked out how to activate programs already listed in Add/remove and have installed "Wine" and then attempted to install a downloaded program no avail.

Two questions I guess 1: how can I initiated install of programs from CD and 2 if I right click downloaded programs to install with "Wine and this does not work can I conclude the program wont work on "Linux"?

Any assistance would be appreciated

snowpine
April 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Using Add/Remove to install applications from the repository is the normal way of doing things. These applications are trusted and tested to work on your Ubuntu system. Installing random downloads from the internet is kind of a "Windows" way of doing things.

If you have a specific example of something you're trying to install, maybe I can help you. :)

wicky_ts
April 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM
For most of the programes you can use the synaptic package manager. which will download the softwair, check for ather dependencies and if required download them as well and install.
system>administration>synaptic package manager

noelc
April 14th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Using Add/Remove to install applications from the repository is the normal way of doing things. These applications are trusted and tested to work on your Ubuntu system. Installing random downloads from the internet is kind of a "Windows" way of doing things.

If you have a specific example of something you're trying to install, maybe I can help you. :)

I,m looking to load CS4 master collection (Includes Adobe Flash) as I do a lot of digital photo and video editing. Other soft ware includes inserting digital watermarks. Nero CD burning etc

snowpine
April 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I,m looking to load CS4 master collection (Includes Adobe Flash) as I do a lot of digital photo and video editing. Other soft ware includes inserting digital watermarks. Nero CD burning etc

Adobe has not released a Linux version of CS4. As far as I know, it is only available for Windows and Mac. Try Gimp for your photo editing. I am not an expert on video editing, so I won't try to make a recommendation.

Ubuntu comes with the Brasero CD burning software, try using that instead of Nero.

Pasdar
April 14th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I do photo editing too. Photoshop CS4 can be installed on linux using wine, but its not as fast as it would be under Windows. Instead I'm running Photoshop 7. However CS runs just as well.

If you definately want to have CS4 and want it to run perfectly, you should Install VirtualBox from the Package Manager in the menu, and then install Windows XP in the virtual environment so you can install CS4 on it.

On winodws I used to use Nero too, but now I use k3b (can also be installed via package manager), Brasero can also be found in the menu, run it and see if you like it. They both work perfectly.

djrelay
April 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM
If you're looking for a decent video editor, try Kino.