PDA

View Full Version : e17 - release schedule (no joking!)

Tux Aubrey
April 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM
In the Old Testament bit of the Linux Bible, the first event of the Seventh Sign of the beginning of The End of Days is prophesied to be the formal, authorized release of a stable, usable version of the Enlightenment DR17 desktop environment - that's "e17" to fellow-travelers.

Well, dust off those sack cloths and get in a fresh supply of ashes because the unthinkable is now possible. Rasterman has spoken (through a mortal intermediary) and there is a great murmuring upon the firmament.

First, there is to be a svn freeze this week "....so packagers can do their work on a more solid base. (http://www.mail-archive.com/enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg21125.html)"

This is to be followed, says the prophet, by an orderly progression to the One True Alpha release in September (this year!).

But (and here's the really scary part) - buried in the alpha release schedule (http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/ReleaseSchedule) are these words:

"If things go well, we can schedule beta for October and RC for november, release as Christmas gift for all!"

I kid you not.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

(I'm so excited I actually screamed like a teenage girl when I first saw this)

:popcorn:

Warpnow
April 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Meh, I prefer XFCE or Gnome.

Actually, what I'd really like is any DE with a menu that isn't annoying to edit.

3rdalbum
April 14th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Well, at least the final release should come some time before the beta of Duke Nukem Forever :-)

racerraul
April 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
woohoo!

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 14th, 2009, 01:07 PM
e17 going stable? That is some news! :D

kevdog
April 14th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Take it from a skeptic -- I'll believe it when I see it. Its the Judas in me. e17 has pulled a few fakies before!

chucky chuckaluck
April 14th, 2009, 01:14 PM
doesn't the idea of using a stable version of e17 seem wrong to you guys?

loell
April 14th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Yes.. heheh..

Skripka
April 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I've seen the "schedule" and it is pretty much meaningless in that there are no release goals.

E does not need binary release packages to get more users. That is just pipe-dreaming.

And in all honesty I don't see the point. Most distros already have their own packages made already. What E needs now is to finally welcome the year 2000 and support hardware gfx acceleration and have less flakey compositing. Both of these are more apporopriately addressed in a future E18.

Tux Aubrey
April 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Yes. I would feel dirty and will probably stay with the svn version. That way I get to play Russian Roulette with my desktop three or four times a day. Anyway, I'd probably miss my favorite error dialog.

http://cafelinux.org/forum/gallery/74_16_02_09_9_32_35.png

loell
April 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
E18 and with Gtk 3.0 is like dividing by zero...

Sealbhach
April 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Epic opening post.

Skripka
April 14th, 2009, 02:10 PM
E18 and with Gtk 3.0 is like dividing by zero...

By the time E18 comes out Captain Kirk will have come and gone, and the Lions will have won the Supoer Bowl.

Changturkey
April 14th, 2009, 02:20 PM
9 years for an alpha, lolwut.

Mehall
April 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM

In fairness, a lot of that was PRE-alpha ;)

gnomeuser
April 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM

That's nothing, The HURD has been dreaming of an alpha release for at least a decade.

I do hear that E17 on HURD will be the perfect platform to play Duke Nukem Forever though.

Skripka
April 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM
That's nothing, The HURD has been dreaming of an alpha release for at least a decade.

I do hear that E17 on HURD will be the perfect platform to play Duke Nukem Forever though.

Damn. That was epic.

Polygon
April 14th, 2009, 02:39 PM

oh man. that just blew my mind.

LowSky
April 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hurd has been a pipe dream for over 25 years, Stalman should either start working harder or give up.
E17 has been a nightmare because of one man's ideals.
The open-source world does not deserve such cruelity.

BGFG
April 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM

Yes it does Chucky, it does indeed.

smartboyathome
April 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Meh, I prefer XFCE or Gnome.

Actually, what I'd really like is any DE with a menu that isn't annoying to edit.

E17's menu isn't annoying to edit. Just use Alacarte, it works just fine with E17. :popcorn:

LuisAugusto
April 27th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Hahaha! OMG!

The first post was great too.

-----

I really hope it happens, it would be great for the project, maybe some distros could use it (maybe "Eubuntu" as an official release). Also, it will attract developers, EFL are great and deserve more attention. I can see, in the near future, EFL (usable) music players, file managers, packagekit front-ends, cd burners, photo managers, image viewers are already awesome tough, terminals and so on.

Bright days will come for e17 if this is true.

entr3p
April 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Haha wow. Well I'm actually using e17 right now. It's truly great. It's actually very complete. There's actually everything you might need. I made a video and a guide on how to install e17 on Ubuntu.

How to install Enlightenment on Ubuntu (http://www.learningubuntu.com/articles/how-install-enlightenment-ubuntu)

A video demonstration of Enlightenment on Ubuntu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-M3jorJEt4)

swoll1980
April 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM
and the Lions will have won the Supoer Bowl.

Lets not get too crazy now.

jayanramesh
April 28th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Dear entr3p,
While installing it was interrupted and now I can't open synaptic package manager.Even when I tried to remove e 17 I 've got the reply as"
jayanr@jayanr-1:~$ sudo apt-get remove e17-svn
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. and when open Synaptic manager I've got error as"
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.Could you help me to resolve this?.

After running 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' I 've got this'
jayanr@jayanr-1:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
[sudo] password for jayanr:
Setting up e17-svn (1.2.4-2) ...

---------------------------- Easy_e17.sh 1.2.4.1-OzOS --------------------------
Developers: Brian 'morlenxus' Miculcy
David 'onefang' Seikel
Contributors: Tim 'amon' Zebulla
Daniel G. '_ke' Siegel
Stefan 'slax' Langner
Massimiliano 'Massi' Calamelli
Thomas 'thomasg' Gstaedtner
Roberto 'rex' Sigalotti

----------------------------- Current Configuration ----------------------------
Install path: /opt/e17
Source path: /var/cache/e17_src
Source url: http://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/trunk
Logs path: /tmp/easy_e17/install_logs

Packages: eina eet evas ecore efreet embryo edje epsilon esmart emotion elementary etk etk_extra ewl exml enhance e_dbus exalt e entrance edje_editor elicit elitaire enna enthrall emphasis empower emprint ephoto estickies exhibit expedite exquisite extrackt eyesight e_phys rage alarm bling calendar cpu deskshow diskio drawer efm_nav efm_path emu exalt-client execwatch flame forecasts iiirk language mail mem moon mpdule net news notification penguins photo places rain screenshot slideshow snow systray taskbar tclock tiling uptime weather winselector wlan
Skipping: esmart enhance exml imlib2 edb edje_editor edje_player edje_viewer emotion entrance eclair evfs evolve elicit elitaire emphasis empower engycad entrance_edit_gui entropy ephoto estickies expedite exquisite extrackt engage enthrall exalt-client exhibit rage emu flame moon news penguins rain snow language photo efm_path efm_nav e_phys mpdule notification b_and_w

Source conflict: solve automatically
Script action: install
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------- Build phase 1/3 -------------------------------
- running some basic system checks
- source checkout/update
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------- Basic system checks ----------------------------
- creating script dirs ....... ok
- 'automake' available ....... ok
- 'gcc' available ............ ok
- 'make' available ........... ok
- 'svn' available ............ ok
- build-user ................. root
- adding path to env ......... ok
- checking lib-path in ldc ... ok (/etc/ld.so.conf.d/e17.conf)
- setting compile options .... ok

----------------------------- Source checkout/update ---------------------------
- updating sources (please wait, this won't output much) ...
Checking e source ... svn: Working copy 'e' locked
svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for details)
svn: Working copy 'e' locked
FAILED! Next attempt 5 in 28 seconds^Cdpkg: error processing e17-svn (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Interrupt)
Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Errors were encountered while processing:
e17-svn
jayanr@jayanr-1:~$ svn help cleanup
cleanup: Recursively clean up the working copy, removing locks, resuming
unfinished operations, etc.
usage: cleanup [PATH...]

Valid options:
--diff3-cmd ARG : use ARG as merge command

Global options:
--username ARG : specify a username ARG
--password ARG : specify a password ARG
--no-auth-cache : do not cache authentication tokens
--non-interactive : do no interactive prompting
--config-dir ARG : read user configuration files from directory ARG

---------------------------- Easy_e17.sh 1.2.4.1-OzOS --------------------------
David 'onefang' Seikel
Daniel G. '_ke' Siegel
Stefan 'slax' Langner
Roberto 'rex' Sigalotti

----------------------------- Current Configuration ----------------------------

Packages: eina eet evas ecore efreet embryo edje epsilon esmart emotion elementary etk etk_extra ewl exml enhance e_dbus exalt e entrance edje_editor elicit elitaire enna enthrall emphasis empower emprint ephoto estickies exhibit expedite exquisite extrackt eyesight e_phys rage alarm bling calendar cpu deskshow diskio drawer efm_nav efm_path emu exalt-client execwatch flame forecasts iiirk language mail mem moon mpdule net news notification penguins photo places rain screenshot slideshow snow systray taskbar tclock tiling uptime weather winselector wlan
Skipping: esmart enhance exml imlib2 edb edje_editor edje_player edje_viewer emotion entrance eclair evfs evolve elicit elitaire emphasis empower engycad entrance_edit_gui entropy ephoto estickies expedite exquisite extrackt engage enthrall exalt-client exhibit rage emu flame moon news penguins rain snow language photo efm_path efm_nav e_phys mpdule notification b_and_w

-------------------------------- Build phase 1/3 -------------------------------
- source checkout/update

------------------------------- Basic system checks ----------------------------

----------------------------- Source checkout/update ---------------------------
FAILED! Next attempt 4 in 5 seconds^Cdpkg: error processing e17-svn (--configure):
e17-svn
jayanr@jayanr-1:~$ svn help cleanup
cleanup: Recursively clean up the working copy, removing locks, resuming
unfinished operations, etc.
usage: cleanup [PATH...]

Valid options:
--diff3-cmd ARG : use ARG as merge command

Global options:
--username ARG : specify a username ARG
--password ARG : specify a password ARG
--no-auth-cache : do not cache authentication tokens
--non-interactive : do no interactive prompting
--config-dir ARG : read user configuration files from directory ARG

David 'onefang' Seikel
Daniel G. '_ke' Siegel
Stefan 'slax' Langner
Roberto 'rex' Sigalotti

- source checkout/update

FAILED! Next attempt 8 in 238 seconds^Cdpkg: error processing e17-svn (--configure):
e17-svn

Anybody on earth can help me?

Guillaumeb
April 28th, 2009, 07:07 AM
I find E17 to be too "chromatic" in its appearance for me

Tux Aubrey
April 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
While installing it was interrupted and now I can't open synaptic package manager.Even when I tried to remove e 17 I 've got the reply as .......

easiest solution is to delete all source files and start again

sudo rm -rf /var/cache/e17_src

should do it.

Then run

sudo easy_e17.sh -i

to start the install again

I find E17 to be too "chromatic" in its appearance for me

I think you will find that the "look" is highly configurable. The old "Bling Bling" gold and shiny theme passed away about six months ago anyway.

My current desktop looks like this:

http://cafelinux.org/forum/gallery/thumb_74_23_04_09_4_25_00.png (http://cafelinux.org/forum/gallery/74_23_04_09_4_25_00.png)

and before that, I had this:

http://cafelinux.org/forum/gallery/thumb_74_16_02_09_5_51_11.png (http://cafelinux.org/forum/gallery/74_16_02_09_5_51_11.png)

and before that:

http://cafelinux.org/forum/gallery/thumb_74_31_08_08_4_39_21.png (http://cafelinux.org/forum/gallery/74_31_08_08_4_39_21.png)

Svensk023
April 28th, 2009, 08:22 AM
OP had me rolling for about a solid 5 minutes.
woke all my roommates up. :D

jayanramesh
April 29th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Dear Tux Aubrey,
Thank a lot for your precious guidance.

SomeGuyDude
April 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
E17: a beautiful clunky mess. I used it for about a minute and a half before finding myself yelling angrily at my laptop.

forrestcupp
April 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM
This is to be followed, says the prophet, by an orderly progression to the One True Alpha release in September (this year!).

But (and here's the really scary part) - buried in the alpha release schedule (http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/ReleaseSchedule) are these words:

"If things go well, we can schedule beta for October and RC for november, release as Christmas gift for all!"
Sure. The alpha will be released in September this year, beta in October 2010, RC in November 2011, and final release will be a Christmas gift for us all in 2012. And that's being optimistic.

Well, at least the final release should come some time before the beta of Duke Nukem Forever :-)
:lol:

Tux Aubrey
April 30th, 2009, 02:59 AM
E17: a beautiful clunky mess. I used it for about a minute and a half before finding myself yelling angrily at my laptop.

Sounds like you need a longer fuse. I find it elegant and very fast. After using e17 for a year, I find Gnome and even Xfce to feel clunky. There are certainly a few config issues that need the the application of "a unique type of logic" to resolve quickly.

thisllub
April 30th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Sounds like you need a longer fuse. I find it elegant and very fast. After using e17 for a year, I find Gnome and even Xfce to feel clunky. There are certainly a few config issues that need the the application of "a unique type of logic" to resolve quickly.

Haha.

Stability aside I can't understand a preference for Gnome over E17.

If you set it up right it only occasionally posts the "Very Bad" message but keeps on working. As long as you don't use the E17 apps it hardly ever plays up.

It is still, as far as I know, the only WM that supports multiple monitors independently.

If I could make it as mouseless as OpenBox I would use it all the time.
There is just something about a pure black screen with no launchers and panels where windows are placed with a keystroke and apps are launched via keyboard that appeals to me more.

Skripka
April 30th, 2009, 04:00 AM

Meh, I've tried to go back to E17...But I honestly cannot for lack of window managment features-the major thing that is missing is a present all windows ability and/or present all desktops...niether one is a killer. Also the implementation of Alt+Tab is bizzarro...I have a slew of keyboard macros programmed via xbindkeys-they all work fine in KDE, and none work with E...and nothing too out of the ordinary either Alt+Tab for example.

racerraul
April 30th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Well that is the beauty of choice...

And thankfully we have plenty of choices out there to suit our styles in computing.

I have no such problems using OpenGEU. If I had to complaint about anything it would be that creating themes is rather difficult and requires the ability to code. Hopefully there will be a complete editor that would allow the users creativity to be applied to themes easily.

I also like the Bling Module, but it is still in Dev... can't wait till that is done since I rather use that than Compiz.

All that said, if E17 doesn't suit you, by all means use what does.

jayanramesh
April 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Dear pals,
E17 is really incredibly fast and I love to have it.

Thanks

Tux Aubrey
June 23rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
The latest build has a jaunty repo (which also works very nicely with Karmic)

The "official" repo is here:

http://packages.enlightenment.org/

Add the repo to /etc/apt/sources.list

Add the repo key

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install e17 emodules-all

enjoy! It really is a very good build and most (but not all) modules are working flawlessly.

koleoptero
June 23rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
Epic opening post.

+1

Sure. The alpha will be released in September this year, beta in October 2010, RC in November 2011, and final release will be a Christmas gift for us all in 2012. And that's being optimistic.

Wow, this combined with what the OP says means that indeed there'll be an apocalypse in 2012! :shock::lolflag:

loell
June 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
The latest build has a jaunty repo (which also works very nicely with Karmic)

yayks! :D I thought i'd try, but..

The following packages will be REMOVED:
network-manager network-manager-gnome
The following NEW packages will be installed:
e17 e17-data emodule-alarm emodule-bling emodule-calendar emodule-configmenu
emodule-cpu emodule-deskshow emodule-diskio emodule-drawer emodule-edgar
emodule-efm-nav emodule-efm-path emodule-emu emodule-exalt emodule-execwatch
emodule-extramenu emodule-flame emodule-forecasts emodule-iiirk
emodule-itask emodule-itask-ng emodule-language emodule-mail emodule-mem
emodule-moon emodule-mpdule emodule-net emodule-news emodule-notification
emodule-penguins emodule-photo emodule-places emodule-rain
emodule-screenshot emodule-slideshow emodule-snow emodule-systray
emodule-taskbar emodule-tclock emodule-tiling emodule-trash emodule-uptime
emodule-weather emodule-winlist-ng emodule-winselector emodule-wlan
emodules-all emprint exalt-daemon exo-utils libao2 libecore-con-svn-01
libecore-evas-svn-01 libecore-fb-svn-01 libecore-file-svn-01
libecore-imf-svn-01 libecore-input-svn-01 libecore-ipc-svn-01
libecore-job-svn-01 libecore-svn-01 libecore-txt-svn-01 libecore-x-svn-01
libedbus-svn-01 libedje-bin libedje-svn-01 libeet1 libefreet-svn-01
libeina-svn-01 libelm-bin libelm0 libembryo-bin libembryo0 libepsilon0
libevas-engines libevas-svn-01 libexalt0 libexml1 libexo-0.3-0 libmpd0
libthunar-vfs-1-2 libxfce4util4 libxfcegui4-4 libxfconf-0-2 mpd thunar
thunar-data thunar-volman xfce4-panel xfconf
0 upgraded, 90 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
7 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 22.6MB of archives.

JordyD
June 23rd, 2009, 11:12 PM
e17 is too much eye-candy for me. I don't need menu items to flash, change colors, and throw sparkles all over the place because I've rolled over them.

Tux Aubrey
June 24th, 2009, 07:46 AM
e17 is too much eye-candy for me. I don't need menu items to flash, change colors, and throw sparkles all over the place because I've rolled over them.

All of that is optional. The elegance and speed and functionality is what it is about.

Tux Aubrey
June 24th, 2009, 07:52 AM
yayks! :D I thought i'd try, but..

The following packages will be REMOVED:
network-manager network-manager-gnome
The following NEW packages will be installed:
e17 e17-data emodule-alarm emodule-bling emodule-calendar

Ahh. I forgot to mention the old gnome network-manager problem. Add wicd to your apt get and use it instead - unless you have some particular weird fondness for gnm - in which case, seek professional help.

If you do end up without a graphical network manager, revert to command-line skills (eg sudo ifconfig ath0 down, sudo ifconfig ath0 up). I know this because I had to look up those commands when I deleted gnm when installing e17 the first time:D I now use wicd on all my installs.

loell
June 24th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I guess my question would have been, do you know why they put a conflict entry for package nm?

Sand & Mercury
June 24th, 2009, 09:08 AM
http://www.ducatimonster.org/gallery/data/1845/HellFrozenOver-notext-640x.jpeg

Tux Aubrey
June 24th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I guess my question would have been, do you know why they put a conflict entry for package nm?

I'm not 100% sure - I just know that it is one of the (very few) gtk apps that do not behave well in e17. It may be because e17 does set up with a default system tray (but one is now available in the default install as a module/gadget).

The e17 devs seemed quite disinterested in a system tray until a few month ago. It isn't perfect, but works well once you set it up.

There is a native e17 network manager (called exalt) and it has recently been added to the main code trunk - after spending several years as a side shoot. It has a "mixed" history and I haven't used it because, for me, wicd is reliable and unobtrusive. It would be good to get some reports about exalt.

Tux Aubrey
June 29th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Just an update on the .debs at packages.enlightenment.org

I have installed these on both Ubuntu Jaunty and Karmic Alpha 2 and initially, everything was fine. The Jaunty install (on a new Dell netbook) continues to be absolutely rock solid but the Karmic install died on a recent update and I can't get it back or re-install e17.

There are clearly some really big issues with Karmic and the current build of e17. I initially thought they were mono-related (exalt and exalt-client) both seem to want to share some libraries with mono and there is a mismatch in version requirements). But I tried a reinstall without the conflicting packages and the problems appear to go much deeper.

So, in summary, "Jaunty, yes: Karmic, no"