PDA

View Full Version : Ship it Canonical

elliotn
April 14th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Why Canonical no longer ship cd's of Xubuntu and Kubuntu, when I first got a parkage from ubuntu it had ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu, mmm I think it was 6.06, it could be nice if they could ship Ubuntu Studio cd's, the Ship It service comes handy for peoples with no internet

lisati
April 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Why Canonical no longer ship cd's of Xubuntu and Kubuntu, when I first got a parkage from ubuntu it had ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu, mmm I think it was 6.06, it could be nice if they could ship Ubuntu Studio cd's, the Ship It service comes handy for peoples with no internet

You might be interested in checking here (https://shipit.kubuntu.org/)

Warpnow
April 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I still don't see why one DVD hasn't been put together with KDE, Gnome, XFCE, ect, and put into shipit.

kamitsukai
April 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I still don't see why one DVD hasn't been put together with KDE, Gnome, XFCE, ect, and put into shipit.

I've always wondered this as well...;)

Mehall
April 14th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Because not every computer has a DVD drive?

Certainly every computer in the last 2/3 years does (2 if it's a laptop) but before that the drop-off is horrendous, and Linux is often marketed on "you don't need to buy a new computer!!" (which is true)

kamitsukai
April 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Because not every computer has a DVD drive?

Certainly every computer in the last 2/3 years does (2 if it's a laptop) but before that the drop-off is horrendous, and Linux is often marketed on "you don't need to buy a new computer!!" (which is true)

Yer but it doesn't work like that now as Ubuntu 9.4 although it will have support for old hardware it wont have as much support as say 7.4 did when it came out so if you get the latest Ubuntu your going to be running it on fairly modern hardware (last 5 years or so)

elliotn
April 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Well to me every pc has dvr rom, and I think ubuntu studio should be included.