PDA

View Full Version : The OpenVMS Operating System.

reprobus
April 14th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Since there is no longer a forum for the discussion of other OS's I guess I will post this here, if it is against the rules to do so then I am not aware of it. Has anyone else here played with OpenVMS, if so then what do you think of it? I have an account on The Deathrow OpenVMS Cluster (http://deathrow.vistech.net). I have heard that it is one of the most secure OS's ever made. I know one thing, it has a heck of a learning curve. It is nothing like UNIX and Linux, I am having quite a hard time getting used to it. So far I can't really say that I like OpenVMS too well but I like to learn new things so I will keep at it. So does anyone know if an OpenVMS emulator exists for Linux, I have looked around and I can't seem to locate one.

Brunellus
April 14th, 2009, 06:42 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openvms

Interesting, but I don't have any VAX or Alpha hardware lying about.

MaxIBoy
April 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM
There are plenty of Alpha emulators for Linux, and I think VAX emulators are even more common.

From what I know, Windows NT is loosely based on VMS.

Anyway:
There once was a system called VMS
Of cycles by no means abstemious.
It's chock-full of hacks
And runs on a VAX
And makes my poor stomach all squeamious.
— The Great Quux

sjarczyk
August 10th, 2010, 03:36 PM
There is no such a thing like 'OpenVMS emulator'... You can emulate Alpha machine (PersonalAlpha, ES40, Stromasys products) or VAX system (SimH would be the best and is free), on which you install OVMS... I'd go with VAX emulation and OVMS 7.3 (media available either from montagar or ed2k networks), register for OVMS Hobbyist Program (you'll need PAK licenses to use the OS) and give it a try... I'm working with both VMS and Linux/UN*X daily, and I can say everything you heard about DEC OS is true (limited to positive opinions, of course :-) )

Sergiusz

mips
August 14th, 2012, 10:25 PM
From what I know, Windows NT is loosely based on VMS.

It was more of a follow on to OS/2.

Dave Cutler was one of the main people involved in VMS. When he left Digital and joined Microsoft he became the lead/head dev of WinNT. Dave by the way is not very fond of anything Unix/Linux.

Edit: OMG, I just replied to a thread necro post, oh well.